2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/19/2019 at 12:57 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Until we get a better recruiter for a OL coach  we need to recruit the OL position like we are not a high profile top tier program who gets top 10 recruiting classes every year. We cannot slow play these mid tier 3 star OL anymore because we think we have a shot at a big fish down the line.  That strategy has proven to not work LIKE AT ALL the past several crutin classes. We are getting rejected at every turn by the stud OL especially the OT's. We just cannot land one to literally save this staffs job. We just need to play it safe and take the layup bird in hand and all those cliches so we are not scrambling at the end of each cycle trying to find any warm body out there that is a OL to jump on board. 

Grimes HAS GOT TO GO! Simple as that. And honestly, so does Gus. I hope 8-4 with losses to the big 3 would do the trick.

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Grimes HAS GOT TO GO! Simple as that. And honestly, so does Gus. I hope 8-4 with losses to the big 3 would do the trick.

Only ones who need to go are “fans” like you. Pathetic mindset

7 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

shame to get our hopes up like that. Clemson’s Class is absolutely insane 

Well I genuinely did not know we were his "second" school. But yah this will go the same as it has gone against them on the field. "CLOSE" but in the end we still lose. We will always have the 2010 win and the 2007 season peach bowl win vs them! lmao.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well I genuinely did not know we were his "second" school. But yah this will go the same as it has gone against them on the field. CLOSE but in the end we still lose. 

I guess that’s why when I posted it said

D4B7C3A1-D9D8-4621-AF75-5EAAB2E4C116.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

shame to get our hopes up like that. Clemson’s Class is absolutely insane 

Clemson being elite now bothers me way more than bama ever did. bama is bama and will always be bama. Clemson is supposed to be our little brother. Clemson was a very average Arkansas like program with a fluke early 1980's natty until Dabo came along. Now they are a juggernaut. SMH. It just shows us where we should be as a program and how far away we are. They get the benefit of being the "family" school while also getting to double dip in the Alabama and Ohio State type of recruiting push pool and also point to their first round NFL draft picks.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Clemson being elite now bothers me way more than bama ever did. bama is bama and will always be bama. Clemson is supposed to be our little brother. Clemson was a very average Arkansas like program with a fluke early 1980's natty until Dabo came along. Now they are a juggernaut. SMH. It just shows us where we should be as a program and how far away we are. They get the benefit of being the "family" school while also getting to double dip in the Alabama and Ohio State type of recruiting push pool and also point to their first round NFL draft picks.

It bothers me Bc AU could be close to that level, whether people want to believe it or not if we had handled things the right way. I posted this after reading the first sentence. So I see you basically posted the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

It bothers me Bc AU could be close to that level, whether people want to believe it or not if we had handled things the right way. I posted this after reading the first sentence. So I see you basically posted the same thing.

HAHAHAHA LETS GOOOOOOO BRO!!!!!! Nothing more fun than being on the same page as MUHHHHH BOY MAV!!!!!!!!!! This is why you are fam brother!!

20 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I'm sorry, but you only need to look through the last few pages to know how far behind we are. Without even mentioning UAT, look at Clemson. Look at Georgia. Look at LSU. Look at Texas A&M. Look at Florida. The longer Gus--and especially Grimes--stays here, the further and further we fall back. We lose our entire offensive line after this year, and thus far I have zero reason to believe that we are capable of even adequately filling our needs at that spot. As a result, the worst thing that could happen this year would be the bare minimum needed for him to stay, whatever that might be. Considering he always seems to deliver that bare minimum, I'm a little nervous.

The good news is that JJ isn't our AD anymore, so MAYBE Greene will make a strong hire when he gets the chance.

19 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

He is pathetic because he cares so much about AU and only wants the best for our program? All the people who are negative myself included JUST WANT TO BE ELITE! We want to be a consistently great program. YOU KNOW after a few years if you have the coach who can take you there. WE KNOW we do not. That is all. 

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yep. And a run like this officially makes them A School Where You Can Win Big. They might have trouble with their next hire because folks might be scared to be The Guy After Dabo, but after they have their Ron Zook they shouldn't have any problem landing their Urban Meyer. 

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is pathetic because he cares so much about AU and only wants the best for our program? All the people who are negative myself included JUST WANT TO BE ELITE! We want to be a consistently great program. YOU KNOW after a few years if you have the coach who can take you there. WE KNOW we do not. That is all. 

“I care so much about the team I want to see them lose” yep that sounds a lot like caring about the program to me. Don’t quote me no more with this dumb bs. If Gus is gone then he’s gone but if he’s here I want him to be successful. Y’all should just jump ship to Tuscaloosa or somewhere. Do us all a favor

10 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Y’all should just jump ship to Tuscaloosa or somewhere. Do us all a favor

Nah. A sense of humor is too precious to lose around here. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, McLoofus said:

Our "thing" is to be honest, encourage them to take their time in making the right choice, not put too much pressure on them, etc. And honestly I'm okay with it. I think that's the only way we will compete with bama, uga and now Clemson. And it's mostly been working. In addition to getting talent- we remain one of the 10 most talented teams in the country- we generally attract a certain kind of guy and I would venture a guess that we have unusual cohesion and character in our locker room. Admittedly, this is one topic on which I lean sunny and for which I give Gus and his staff a ton of credit. 

TL;DR- We're not going to reel them in with saban's approach, at least not right now. Same goes for just about every other team in the country except maybe Clemson (now). If we ever start matching those teams in terms of success and early round draft picks, that might change. IMO.

Edit: What @AuburnNTexas said.

While Clemson could probably be successful using the Saban approach, I don't think he would do that.  Based on what I've observed of him, I suspect his approach is much closer to Gus' than Saban's

Just now, triangletiger said:

While Clemson could probably be successful using the Saban approach, I don't think he would do that.  Based on what I've observed of him, I suspect his approach is much closer to Gus' than Saban's

What I meant to say is that Clemson can now use bama's primary pitch, which is: "You want to come to Clemson because we're MFing Clemson." 

Those 2 schools are on a completely different level from everybody else in terms of current and sustained success. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

What I meant to say is that Clemson can now use bama's primary pitch, which is: "You want to come to Clemson because we're MFing Clemson." 

Those 2 schools are on a completely different level from everybody else in terms of current and sustained success. 

I agree with you.  I just don't think that's Dabo's way (even if he did come from bammer).  I think he, like Gus, is a genuinely good guy who cares about his players and coaches as people and not just for what they can do to win football games. 

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I agree with you.  I just don't think that's Dabo's way (even if he did come from bammer).  I think he, like Gus, is a genuinely good guy who cares about his players and coaches as people and not just for what they can do to win football games. 

Sure, he probably is, but that doesn't really have anything to do with who he recruits or being able to point to his success as a recruiting tool. And if you look at their current recruiting class, it is clear that he is going after literally all of the best players in the nation. He's got at least three guys committed who are ranked the number one player at their position in the country. He is out-sabaning saban.

24 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I agree initially but as Dabo has had more and more success he can ask kids to commit earlier and they will which makes others want to join the bandwagon. Once a boulder starts rolling down hill it is hard to stop. Many say Dabo copied the family vibe form Auburn and it worked then he had success so now kids see the family vibe and competing and winning National Titles. We were almost there after Cam and Nick and then we dropped the ball. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree initially but as Dabo has had more and more success he can ask kids to commit earlier and they will which makes others want to join the bandwagon. Once a boulder starts rolling down hill it is hard to stop. Many say Dabo copied the family vibe form Auburn and it worked then he had success so now kids see the family vibe and competing and winning National Titles. We were almost there after Cam and Nick and then we dropped the ball

Seems like we had a pretty standard magical Auburn season only to turn back around and follow it up with a mediocre season. We were 8-5 and got absolutely curb stomped by the actual good teams on our schedule and should of lost to Utah State to open the season if not for one of the most underrated lucky/fluky finishes to a game you will have. We were closer in 2013/2014 to having sustained success. 2014 we were much closer to back to back 10 win seasons that have evaded us for 30 years. If we won that TAMU game that would of changed everything. We collapsed after that. That team was good enough to win 10-11 games. It is my most disappointing season in my lifetime. It is criminal that team finished 8-5. Dabo has won 10 games or more for 8 straight seasons. That is what it takes to recruit like a juggernaut when you are not a blue blood. 

20 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

JMO but he cares about AU football....kind of like the bammers who care only about bama football.  

Hard for me to accept that anyone who cares about the university would really want to see losses on the football field or upheavals in the athletic department that would come about with coaching changes. 

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hard for me to accept that anyone who cares about the university would really want to see losses on the football field or upheavals in the athletic department that would come about with coaching changes. 

One can't be averse to losing and also unwilling to change coaches. If you're averse to the latter, then you're accepting of the former.

Is your first allegiance to the university or to the coach?

29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

One can't be averse to losing and also unwilling to change coaches. If you're averse to the latter, then you're accepting of the former.

Is your first allegiance to the university or to the coach?

Careful Loof!! You will be accused of being IN THE PACK!!!! lol

Archived