2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

53 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but he cares about AU football....kind of like the bammers who care only about bama football.  

Hard for me to accept that anyone who cares about the university would really want to see losses on the football field or upheavals in the athletic department that would come about with coaching changes. 

Can we please stop this nonsense? God forbid someone loves Auburn University and also wants to have a dynasty in football. I mean what are you trying to say? That only AU fans who are accepting of a 8-5 program truly love Auburn and not just Auburn football. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Can we please stop this nonsense? God forbid someone loves Auburn and wants to have a dynasty in football. I mean what are you trying to say? That only AU fans who are accepting of a 8-5 program truly love Auburn and not just Auburn football. 

No...I'm saying that an AU fan pulls for AU to win....  IMO the nonsense is hoping for a bad season with the expectation that somehow we get a great new coach and all of a sudden have a big improvement in the program......that's just naïve and odds are just as good that the next guy will lose players and the team do worse. Just makes no sense that it's good for the program for us to have a bad season or two in order to get rid of our coach.   There is virtually no history to support that argument. 

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

One can't be averse to losing and also unwilling to change coaches. If you're averse to the latter, then you're accepting of the former.

Is your first allegiance to the university or to the coach?

Mine is to the university....not the coach but also not to the football program.    I worry when I think the actions aimed at winning more football games are damaging to the university. 

Meanwhile, how does losing more games help the hundred or so young men busting their butts to win for AU and their teammates...or help the university.?

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

No...I'm saying that an AU fan pulls for AU to win....  IMO the nonsense is hoping for a bad season with the expectation that somehow we get a great new coach and all of a sudden have a big improvement in the program......that's just naïve and odds are just as good that the next guy will lose players and the team do worse. Just makes no sense that it's good for the program for us to have a bad season or two in order to get rid of our coach.   There is virtually no history to support that argument. 

Well, except that we went 5-5-1 in 1992, fired our coach, and then went 11-0 the next season. Or that we went 3-8 in 1998 and then went 9-4 and won the SEC West 2 years later. Or that we went 5-7 in 2008 and then won a national championship 2 years later. Or that we went 3-8 in 2012 and appeared in a national championship the next year. 

No offense, but the complete opposite of what you said is true. Literally every time we change coaches, we see drastic improvement either immediately or almost immediately.

Not that we even need that extremely brief and obvious trip down memory lane to prove the fundamental and obvious concept that improvement happens with change. I mean, it's how the world works.

Being content with an inferior product- in the interests of a coach and at the expense of the University- seems at least equally egregious as wanting short term losses in the interest of long term gains. 

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Meanwhile, how does losing more games help the hundred or so young men busting their butts to win for AU and their teammates...or help the university.?

How does keeping an inadequate coach help the next hundred... or help the university?

Fortunately, there is nobody in charge of these decisions who thinks this way. Leath made a giant, stupid mistake, but he knows it. And he made the mistake for the right reason. He honestly thought that stupid contract would help Auburn win football games. And everybody knows we'd have a new coach if he hadn't made that mistake. 

Since we don't have a new coach, I want this one to win. But I'm not going to get all self righteous towards those who look at it a different way. I'm much more offended by those who are content with mediocrity. That is the worst thing for the players and the university. 

PS- Damned shame Florida didn't hold onto Ron Zook or Jim McElwain, isn't it? And I know those Seminoles are still regretting letting Bobby Bowden go. Almost as much as Clemson is regretting letting his son go, and as much as we regret letting his other son go. 

As for recruiting, Dilly was at my nephew’s school today.

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

How does keeping an inadequate coach help the next hundred... or help the university?

Gus has been here many years by now and has undeniably helped Auburn. His overall body of work says as much. He’s coached a Heisman winner, HC of the most thrilling play in CFB history, 2 conference championship appearances, and more despite coaching through gauntlets that rank among the toughest throughout the nation, and by far the toughest for any Auburn coach to have to endure. Rivalry series records have slipped, but they’re mostly irrelevant (who here cares that we still have a huge lead on Clemson?) and given the cyclical nature of rivalries, you’ll hardly find me lose any sleep over it. What doesn’t help the university is gladly reported information of our members of the BOT having conniption fits over a coach less than a year after singing his praises and approving a brand new contract.

Since we don't have a new coach, I want this one to win.

I do believe if he was to win 10 games this year despite having the second hardest schedule in the nation, you’d still be grumbling. 

That is the worst thing for the players and the university. 

I still think fans that want coaches fired, not wins are the worst. For those that think I’m making this up: check out @GwillMac6 melting down in the post game Texas A&M  thread. Can’t even enjoy a good come from behind win. Although we already have a football team worth rooting for, he’d rather watch our university piss away millions of dollars in buyout compensation and a handful of years of building a team one way just for a sliver of hope that we can find the next great Dabo unicorn out there. He wants the next Bruce Pearl without the showcause. The next Clint Myers without the baggage. And apparently they grow on trees. 

55 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

For those that think I’m making this up: check out @GwillMac6 melting down in the post game Texas A&M  thread. Can’t even enjoy a good come from behind win.

You have to cut @GwillMac6 a little slack on that A&M win by AU. He spent the entire week leading up to that game telling about how Jimbo was "going to show Gus how to coach a football team". Then Gus showed Jimbo how to coach instead. It took our boy some time to get over his big reversal.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You have to cut @GwillMac6 a little slack on that A&M win by AU. He spent the entire week leading up to that game telling about how Jimbo was "going to show Gus how to coach a football team". Then Gus showed Jimbo how to coach instead. It took our boy some time to get over his big reversal.

As one of the members of the Wolfpack  I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU MR GUS BUS SUNSHINE PUMPER BRIGADE Member!!!!!!!!!!!!! (NO NO NO not THOSE 2 words DX fans lmao) Those 2 words are: Wrong Game!!! lol That was the Purdue and Auburn bowl game!!!! I WAS STILL OH SO VERY WRONG BUT OH WELL!!!!!! I will not let that get in the way of this moment!!!! lol. WAIT WAIT WAIT I do love me some JIMBO!!!!!!!!! 

SO you may actually be right on that one as well hahaha. I was driving the hire Jimbo bandwagon in 2008 something serious. I thought I was on top of the damn world. Then it all came crashing down! Talk about a let down when we hired 5-19. I don't think I have ever been more mad as a AU fan in my whole life before or since then that moment when that news broke. Even in 2012 I was just numb and apathetic. 

P.S. Visor did not teach Jimbo how to do anything. Jimbo choked worse than the Atlanta Falcons in that game! lol. That was the worst called 4th quarter I had ever seen. Looked like hair plugs was actively trying to throw and/or point shave that game! haha

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

As one of the members of the Wolfpack  I GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU MR GUS BUS SUNSHINE PUMPER BRIGADE Member!!!!!!!!!!!!! (NO NO NO not THOSE 2 words DX fans lmao) Those 2 words are: Wrong Game!!! lol That was the Purdue and Auburn bowl game!!!! I WAS STILL OH SO VERY WRONG BUT OH WELL!!!!!! I will not let that get in the way of this moment!!!! lol. WAIT WAIT WAIT I do love me some JIMBO!!!!!!!!! 

SO you may actually be right on that one as well hahaha. I was driving the hire Jimbo bandwagon in 2008 something serious. I thought I was on top of the damn world. Then it all came crashing down! Talk about a let down when we hired 5-19. I don't think I have ever been more mad as a AU fan in my whole life before or since then that moment when that news broke. Even in 2012 I was just numb and apathetic. 

P.S. Visor did not teach Jimbo how to do anything. Jimbo choked worse than the Atlanta Falcons in that game! lol. That was the worst called 4th quarter I had ever seen. Looked like hair plugs was actively trying to throw and/or point shave that game! haha

Also kind of hilarious of Captain Clowntown to suggest that Gus- in year 6 of his tenure, with a 2nd-year starter at QB and one of the better defenses in the league and country- showed Jimbo anything in his first year at a program that just fired their last coach. Especially when Gus was getting his ass kicked until a WR-turned-CB intercepted the ball and sparked an extremely unlikely 4th quarter comeback.

Gus was extremely lucky just to keep his job that day. 

By the way, good on ya for being man enough to do something that the Mouse never would, which is admit that you were wrong. Imagine that. Not having the sack to admit to strangers on the internet that you had a bad take on something. Awoooooo. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also kind of hilarious of Captain Clowntown to suggest that Gus- in year 6 of his tenure, with a 2nd-year starter at QB and one of the better defenses in the league and country- showed Jimbo anything in his first year at a program that just fired their last coach. Especially when Gus was getting his ass kicked until a WR-turned-CB intercepted the ball and sparked an extremely unlikely 4th quarter comeback.

By the way, good on ya for being man enough to do something that the Mouse never would, which is admit that you were wrong. Imagine that. Not having the sack to admit to strangers on the internet that you had a bad take on something. Awoooooo. 

giphy.gif

As for Captain ClownTown, I’m ripping that from you. Thanks 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

O you may actually be right on that one as well hahaha

I'm right about that one, unless Purdue was coached by some guy named Jimbo.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

hahahaahahahahaha as a certain Loofy used to always tell me: BRO it is just the freaking internet. It ain't that serious. Some of us I guess did not heed that advice from you! lol

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Auburn has emerged as a possible destination for a talented transfer receiver.

We are still gathering information, but multiple sources tell 247Sports and Auburn Undercover that Marcus Simms of West Virginia is giving the Tigers a very good look and is trying to plan a visit to the school.

Simms, who is 6-feet, 194 pounds, put his name into the NCAA's transfer portal in late April.

He had 46 catches for 699 yards and two touchdowns as a junior in 2018. The season before, Simms recorded 35 receptions for 663 yards and five touchdowns. All told, he caught 87 catches for 1,457 yards with the Mountaineers. He was third on the team in catches and yardage last season.

Simms is a native of Bowie, Maryland.

This potentially could be a battle between Auburn and Maryland, per sources. At this time, it is not known if Simms would be a regular transfer or a grad transfer. Should he ultimately be a regular transfer, he would need an NCAA waiver to play in 2019.

8COMMENTS

Our efforts to reach Simms have thus far been unsuccessful.

However, we can confirm the Tigers' interest in him is strong. According to one source, Auburn considers Simms to be an NFL talent.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

I just don't understand the need or drive to sign more receivers.

Couldn't agree more!!!  We have a very talented set of WR.  

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I just don't understand the need or drive to sign more receivers.

Seems we require our guys to either run through our door with 4.3 speed or walk through it NFL-ready like Duke Williams did. If they're merely "really good with big time potential", well...

Makes you wonder what Gus is smoking, looking for another receiver that we do not need. 

We need linemen, o & d, and db's 

can the man not see the forest for the trees? 

just lost a dt this am because he said he wasn't getting enough love, we when you see all the ink on wr's it is no wonder to me. 

sounds like Gus wants to get fired and leave the cupboard bear???????

6 minutes ago, Roos said:

Makes you wonder what Gus is smoking, looking for another receiver that we do not need. 

It's his offense and the way he hyper-specializes his skill players IMO. 

We need linemen, o & d, and db's 

Yup.

can the man not see the forest for the trees? 

Nope.

just lost a dt this am because he said he wasn't getting enough love, we when you see all the ink on wr's it is no wonder to me. 

Eh. I wouldn't sweat that one. We've probably got better lined up.

sounds like Gus wants to get fired and leave the cupboard bear???????

Whoa, easy there. It's just one WR and the staff stated more or less publicly that they have a specific need at WR that is not met by our current personnel. Now, that might seem impossible, and I'm tempted to agree. But given the parameters of Gus's passing game, it sort of makes sense. 

Thanks Mc, my patience with Gus is getting a little thin, as daily we fall further behind our competition but we seem to be trying to pick up dimes while $100 bills blow by us, 

maybe our record does not justify some of the candidates we are pursuing and I am sure AU is not for everyone, but I still believe we should get our fair share but 

this year it does not appear we have the same intensity as years past, maybe I am wrong. But results usually indicate effort, and it is difficult to see at this point. 

6 hours ago, Roos said:

Thanks Mc, my patience with Gus is getting a little thin, as daily we fall further behind our competition but we seem to be trying to pick up dimes while $100 bills blow by us, 

maybe our record does not justify some of the candidates we are pursuing and I am sure AU is not for everyone, but I still believe we should get our fair share but 

this year it does not appear we have the same intensity as years past, maybe I am wrong. But results usually indicate effort, and it is difficult to see at this point. 

While I don’t disagree with anything you wrote, I will hold off until after big cat weekend into June. We get into mid summer and progress is minimal then the lack of results will have spoken loud enough. 

Archived