2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:53 AM, bigbird said:

I just don't understand the need or drive to sign more receivers.

It's a feeder position for future OTs.  ;)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/14/2019 at 8:53 AM, bigbird said:

I just don't understand the need or drive to sign more receivers.

I could understand it if they were 6'6" and above and we were going to put 100 Pounds on them after they arrive and turn them into OT's.

LOL

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Grad-transfer-receiver-visiting-Auburn-132118076/

Grad transfer WR visiting Auburn
By KEITH NIEBUHR 22 minutes ago

Zach Farrar, a grad transfer receiver from Youngstown State, is officially visiting Auburn and that trip will conclude Saturday.

The 6-feet-3, 200-pound Farrar had 20 catches for 307 yards and one touchdown in 2018. He played in only six games. He was listed as a sophomore on the team's roster for last season.

Before that, Farrar signed with Oklahoma out of high school but redshirted with the Sooners. He had been a 3-star recruit at nationally known Southlake Carroll High in Texas. As a high school senior, Farrar ranked as the No. 87 receiver nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

In 2017, Farrar caught 11 passes for 266 yards and four touchdowns at Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College.

The Tigers have been looking to add a veteran and hopefully big-bodied receiver since 2018 starter Darius Slayton departed early for the NFL.

Per his Youngstown State bio, "As a senior, caught 56 passes for 1,115 yards and 18 TD...named to Texas AP Sports Writers Class 6A All-State Honorable Mention team...as a junior, caught 29 passes for 554 yards and three touchdowns...rated as a four-star recruit by Scout and a three-star prospect by ESPN, Rivals and 247Sports...ranked as No. 58 wide receiver in country by Scout, No. 84 by Rivals, No. 151 by 247Sports and No. 175 by ESPN.. tabbed No. 76 recruit from state of Texas by Rivals, No. 140 by 247Sports and No. 181 by ESPN...drafted by the Chicago White Sox in the 26th round of the MLB Draft...played for Coach Hal Wasson."

I'm in the same camp as @bigbird that I'm not dying to have another receiver on the roster but he seems like a decent big bodied receiver. Would love to see more transfer news around OL and even LBs.

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sure. Why not. Maybe we'll send him on some crossing routes.

Image result for yeah right laughing gif

BUBBLE SCREENS BABY

On 5/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, triangletiger said:

It's a feeder position for future OTs.  ;)

21 hours ago, Zeek said:

The 6-feet-3, 200-pound

I think triangletiger is on to something.  He would just have to gain about 100#s by Fall.

48 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think triangletiger is on to something.  He would just have to gain about 100#s by Fall.

It can be done, I did it. From the Fall of 1992 to 2019.😜

If we could get some of the guys we're currently favorites for (according to crystal ball predictions) then I think we'll gain some much needed momentum. Andy Boykin, Robby Ashford, and Cameron Riley would put us in a positive direction. Riley would be an awesome pickup at OLB. I just wish we had an ounce of momentum with some more highly touted OL. 

Just now, Zeek said:

If we could get some of the guys we're currently favorites for (according to crystal ball predictions) then I think we'll gain some much needed momentum. Andy Boykin, Robby Ashford, and Cameron Riley would put us in a positive direction. Riley would be an awesome pickup at OLB. I just wish we had an ounce of momentum with some more highly touted OL. 

Out of those you mentioned I believe Riley is the only one that is likely. Ashford is more likely to commit to us if it is for baseball tbh.

You know how  to get momentum. On Big Kay weekend, all the recruits are sitting in what ever room they sit in and Gus gets up front to give his welcome to Auburn for Big Kat Weekend speech. As he starts to talk, Takes Spikes, Cam Newton and Bo Jackson walk out and say Coach we got this ...... 

17 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

You know how  to get momentum. On Big Kay weekend, all the recruits are sitting in what ever room they sit in and Gus gets up front to give his welcome to Auburn for Big Kat Weekend speech. As he starts to talk, Takes Spikes, Cam Newton and Bo Jackson walk out and say Coach we got this ...... 

Big Kay weekend is the one for cosmetics! Lol

That would be cool if those guys stepped up behind Mary Kay’s cosmetics leader at a conference though. Stupid spellcheck! Am I right Akfan?

Here's what I have looking at our offers and position allotments:

Quarterback // 1 // Done

3* Chayil Garnett - committed

4* Robby Ashford

4* Haynes King

Spoiler

WDE and some others have made it clear that we're likely not taking a second quarterback in this class regardless of Malik Willis' transfer. Vandagriff in 2021 is the quarterback to watch.

Running Back // 1 // 1 Spot Open

4* Tank Bigsby

4* Lawrence Toafili

4* Daijun Edwards

3* Jordon Ingram

3* Tajae Davis

Spoiler

Currently we have a favorable position with Tank Bigsby. He would be a tremendous RB for us and would add to a rather crowded backfield. If we land Tank, I imagine we'll be done with RB's for this cycle. Especially with Goodwin on board for the 2021 class.

Wide Receiver // 3 // 1 Spot Open

4* Kobe Hudson - committed

4* JJ Evans - committed

4* EJ Williams

4* Rico Powers Jr.

3* Elijah Canion

3* Kentron Poitier

Spoiler

Hudson and Evans are absolute monsters that should contribute early when they arrive; this too would make a rather crowded position but it's a problem I'm happy to have. I would gamble Gus finds a Darius Slayton type body frame for his third receiver choice. We saw how badly Gus looked for that same body type in the transfer portal.

Offensive Tackle // 3 // 2 Spots Open

3* Jonathan Buskey - committed

4* Joshua Braun

3* Javion Cohen

NR Jeremiah Wright

Spoiler

Such a crucial position without any highly touted options considering us. Buskey is a JUCO player that will be a big help having a little more experience than a high schooler. Javion Cohen seems to be Auburn bound with the current predictions; he's a little short and undersized but holds offers from numerous big programs, best case scenario he grows, worst case he gets moved to the inside. Jeremiah Wright is a kid I think will skyrocket from being unranked to a sought after prospect. Wright definitely has the size to be a true OT.

Offensive Guard & Center // 3 // 2 Spots Open

3* Avery Jernigan - committed

4* Marcus Henderson

3* Chris Mayo

3* Miller Merriweather-Lewis

3* Tate Johnson

3* Marion Martinez

3* James Robinson

Tight End // 1 // 1 Spot Open

4* Jeremiah Pegues

Spoiler

We have a few options here that seem to be leaning our way. I would absolutely love for us to close with 3 OGs and 3 OTs. Tate Johnson seems to be leaning towards us heavily.

Defensive Line // 5 // 4 Spots Open

3* Daniel Foster-Allen - committed

4* Will Anderson

4* BJ Ojulari

3* Jamari Stewart

4* Zykeivous Walker

4* Eric Taylor

3* Timothy Brown

Spoiler

We still have four spots available but we're typically slower on recruiting the DL and we pull through at the end. We've lost some early recruiting battles against Clemson, but hell who wouldn't want to play on that DL right now, but we still seem to be in the mix for some tremendous prospects. This is another position we'll lose a lot of starters at in the near future.

Linebacker // 4 // 4 Spots Open

4* Desmond Tisdol

4* Wesley Steiner

3* Rodney Groce Jr.

4* Phillip Webb

4* Trenton Simpson

4* Demouy Kennedy

4* Quandarrius Robinson

4* Cameron Riley

Spoiler

Earnestly I hope we do take 4 players at this position after a light LB class last year (though Owen P was an amazing get). Cameron Riley keeps trending our way and once committed Quandarrius Robinson isn't out of the question. A lot of the guys listed will be tough pulls but if we can land at least two I think we'll be in an alright position.

Defensive Back // 4 // 4 Spots Open

4* Ethan Pouncey

4* Kendall Dennis

4* Brian George

3* Sidney Williams

NR Marco Domio

NR Joshua Pierre-Louis

4* Xavion Alford

Spoiler

We're actually in a pretty good position with a few of these guys. I think we'll have another solid DB class and continue to load up at the position. Who would have thought a few years ago we'd be sending some kids to the NFL from our secondary and recruiting rather highly at the position? Not me. Thank the lord Auburn's defense is back to being good.

Athlete (Help me figure out what position we have each of these players projected at)

4* Enzo Jennings

3* Eric Shaw

3* Ladarius Tennison

3* Jamorri Colson

Spoiler

I'm sure it won't take much time to figure out which of these guys is projected where. If no one knows I'll look around more tonight or over the weekend. Lunch break is almost over lol.

Punter // 0

NR Corey Lewis holds an offer from us currently. Not confident that we are pursuing a punter in this class.

17 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Who was the RB from Florida they made a big deal about Caddy taking his first visit too?  Wasn't he 2020? 

I believe this is the guy you are thinking of

14 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Who was the RB from Florida they made a big deal about Caddy taking his first visit too?  Wasn't he 2020? 

He went and saw Demarkcus Bowman a now Clemson commit for 2020

https://247sports.com/Player/Demarkcus-Bowman-46048830/

Likely not in the picture for us anymore

Just now, Auburn Kev said:

I believe this is the guy you are thinking of

Nope, but we are supposedly trending with this kid since he's developed a solid relationship with Coach Lac. I believe Toafili will be at BCW

On 5/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, Zeek said:

Quarterback // 1 // Done

4* Robby Ashford

4* Haynes King

Reveal hidden contents

4* Tank Bigsby

4* Lawrence Toafili

4* Daijun Edwards

3* Jordon Ingram

3* Tajae Davis

Reveal hidden contents

4* JJ Evans - committed

4* EJ Williams

4* Rico Powers Jr.

3* Elijah Canion

3* Kentron Poitier

Reveal hidden contents

4* Joshua Braun

3* Javion Cohen

NR Jeremiah Wright

Reveal hidden contents

4* Marcus Henderson

3* Chris Mayo

3* Tate Johnson

3* Marion Martinez

3* James Robinson

Reveal hidden contents

4* Will Anderson

4* BJ Ojulari

3* Jamari Stewart

4* Zykeivous Walker

4* Eric Taylor

3* Timothy Brown

Reveal hidden contents

4* Desmond Tisdol

3* Rodney Groce Jr.

4* Phillip Webb

4* Trenton Simpson

4* Demouy Kennedy

4* Quandarrius Robinson

4* Cameron Riley

Reveal hidden contents

4* Ethan Pouncey

4* Kendall Dennis

4* Brian George

3* Sidney Williams

NR Marco Domio

NR Joshua Pierre-Louis

4* Xavion Alford

Reveal hidden contents

Athlete (Help me figure out what position we have each of these players projected at)

4* Enzo Jennings

4* Wesley Steiner

4* Jeremiah Pegues

3* Eric Shaw

3* Ladarius Tennison

3* Jamorri Colson

Reveal hidden contents

Punter // 0

NR Corey Lewis holds an offer from us currently. Not confident that we are pursuing a punter in this class.

I know we have Steiner projected as an LB and Pegues as a TE (I think). 

On 5/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, Zeek said:

Quarterback // 1 // Done

4* Robby Ashford

4* Haynes King

Reveal hidden contents

4* Tank Bigsby

4* Lawrence Toafili

4* Daijun Edwards

3* Jordon Ingram

3* Tajae Davis

Reveal hidden contents

4* JJ Evans - committed

4* EJ Williams

4* Rico Powers Jr.

3* Elijah Canion

3* Kentron Poitier

Reveal hidden contents

4* Joshua Braun

3* Javion Cohen

NR Jeremiah Wright

Reveal hidden contents

4* Marcus Henderson

3* Chris Mayo

3* Tate Johnson

3* Marion Martinez

3* James Robinson

Tight End // 1 // 1 Spot Open

4* Jeremiah Pegues

Reveal hidden contents

4* Will Anderson

4* BJ Ojulari

3* Jamari Stewart

4* Zykeivous Walker

4* Eric Taylor

3* Timothy Brown

Reveal hidden contents

4* Desmond Tisdol

4* Wesley Steiner

3* Rodney Groce Jr.

4* Phillip Webb

4* Trenton Simpson

4* Demouy Kennedy

4* Quandarrius Robinson

4* Cameron Riley

Reveal hidden contents

4* Ethan Pouncey

4* Kendall Dennis

4* Brian George

3* Sidney Williams

NR Marco Domio

NR Joshua Pierre-Louis

4* Xavion Alford

Reveal hidden contents

4* Enzo Jennings

3* Eric Shaw

3* Ladarius Tennison

3* Jamorri Colson

Reveal hidden contents

Punter // 0

Minor update moving two athletes to their projected positions. I'll do a major update after BCW is over.

Archived