2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bigbird said:

@Zeek, when you do your update, could you separate OL, DL, and DB by position, please

Can do!

We now have 3 O-Linemen in this class 1 Guard, 1 Juco OT and a freshman OT .  This a great beginning for this O-line class now keep it up.

13 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Excuse my twitter ignorance....is he just showing the University of Auburn War Eagles love here or did they flip him from Florida

WAR EAGLE!!!

Just now, SlocombTiger said:

Excuse my twitter ignorance....is he just showing the University of Auburn War Eagles love here or did they flip him from Florida

WAR EAGLE!!!

Showing he's visiting Auburn

Im actually starting to feel a little better. Gus said we would sign several OL this class. We have 3 that i really like so far.....If he pulls this off and gets  5 or 6 prospects and 2 guys that work out to be early impact guys that are at least average that will be as big a turn around as going 0-8 in the SEC to winning it the next year....and hopefully he does...and hopefully we have a great year this year...and the biggest hope....that he learns not to get in this position again, ever!

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

What did it say?  It looks like he removed the tweet 

Just now, abw0004 said:

What did it say?  It looks like he removed the tweet 

Just that he was letting people know he was in Auburn.

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Isn't he committed? Didn't he commit during one of the AA games to USCe

He;s not been in the AA game yet. He's a 2021 QB. You're thinking of his other son Shiloh.

So @bigbird said something in another thread & I think he may be close to the target. I think there is smoke coming out of his ears from his bird brain working so hard. Anyway, in essence Bird said he thinks Gus may be going back to his high school & Tulsa style of offense when his teams were more spaced & the production more balanced between the run & pass. There were seasons his teams' pass production dwarfed run production. I say he may be close to target because we are looking to take 4-5 WRs in this class total. Depending on what position Jashawn Sheffield ends up at that could be 11-13 WRs for the 2020 season as the roster is now. Just some food for thought.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

So @bigbird said something in another thread & I think he may be close to the target. I think there is smoke coming out of his ears from his bird brain working so hard. Anyway, in essence Bird said he thinks Gus may be going back to his high school & Tulsa style of offense when his teams were more spaced & the production more balanced between the run & pass. There were seasons his teams' pass production dwarfed run production. I say he may be close to target because we are looking to take 4-5 WRs in this class total. Depending on what position Jashawn Sheffield ends up at that could be 11-13 WRs for the 2020 season as the roster is now. Just some food for thought.

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

It makes sense to me because teams are putting up a lot of points today, and a overbalanced rushing attack just can’t keep up!

Auburn on the rise for 4-star offensive lineman Chris Morris after Big Cat Weekend

Chris Morris pointed off to the distance as Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes walked outside the recruiting facility located in the southwest corner of Jordan-Hare Stadium last Saturday.

“Look at him, though,” Morris said. “He just walks like he’s crazy. He’s crazy, though.”

Morris, a four-star offensive lineman out of Memphis Central, likes that “crazy,” and his personal connection with Grimes and offensive analyst Kendall Simmons has Auburn on the rise during his recruitment.

After taking a visit to the Plains for Big Cat Weekend last week, the 6-foot-4, 287-pound Morris listed Auburn as his No. 2 school, just behind Texas A&M. He is also considering Arkansas, Alabama and Tennessee, among others.

“It’s just basically like a family environment,” Morris said of Auburn. “Certain things they do, coaching-wise, it catches my attention. I could see myself here.”

Morris’ visit to Auburn was his second trip to campus, though it was more extensive than his first one, which only consisted of an afternoon visit to watch practice during the spring. He anticipates being back for an official visit later this month, likely the weekend of June 15, he said.

While speaking with reporters, Morris emphasized several times the family vibe he got from Auburn, its coaches and players during his time on campus for Big Cat Weekend, specifically the manner in which coaches and players interacted with each other.

“Everybody’s really cool,” Morris said. “Like, it shows me it’s more than just football. Once they showed me that, I was really on them.”

Morris, rated as the No. 2 offensive guard in the country and the No. 83 overall prospect in the 2020 class, spent much of his visit bonding with Grimes, the veteran offensive line coach, and Simmons, the two-time first-team All-SEC offensive lineman who joined Gus Malzahn’s staff in an off-field capacity back in January.

“Coach Grimes is cool,” Morris said. “He’s been coaching a long time. He came from the high school background, so it’s pretty cool. He understands kids from younger on to older. That’s cool to me. It’ll work out pretty well.”

While Morris is listed as an offensive guard, he is open to playing that position or tackle at the next level — though he admitted he’d rather play tackle (“who wouldn’t?” he said). He pointed to some of Auburn’s history with offensive linemen, including guards like Simmons and Braden Smith, as well as former All-Pro and first-round offensive tackle Willie Anderson.

Morris didn’t give a timeline for when a commitment decision could come, but he made clear what the deciding factor will be when he settles on a school—whether it’s Auburn, Texas A&M or any of his other leaders.

“My thing is I want to go where I know people at,” Morris said. “So wherever I feel like I know a person, I feel like I’m home.”

He would be a great pickup on what is starting to look like a very good O-Line class. A stud guard,  a newly minted 4* OT, a highly rated Juco OT.  Grimes and the other coaches seem to be picking up their game in O-Line recruiting this year. Hopefully they will continue this trend not just with this years class but with future classes.

Now we need to see some real development from some of our non-starters as we will need depth this year and a complete new O-line next year.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Hopefully they will continue this trend not just with this years class but with future classes.

We will need Gus to be willing to take more than his plan As beyond this year.

Archived