2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Here’s what I believe. Most of us are best and what we do most. A receiver who gets targeted 6-8 times a game most weeks, will likely develop pass catching skills better than a guy who gets targeted 1-2 times every other week.  It’s hard to become great at something you don't do very often. That said, were 4-0 right now so whatever is working we need to keep doing it. 

We have become the Wisconsin of the sec. We are the most boring good team in America. Our offense is not exciting and sexy. I really continue to be befuddled why any highly rated WR would want to come here. He is primarily going to be a blocker. It is stunning the same guy who was the architect of the 2010, 2013 and 2014 offenses is the same guy running the show now.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fredst said:

As far as receivers go, I feel like we’ve taken “athletes” and assumed they would be good receivers as opposed to taking “receivers” (regardless of how they are labeled by services/us). Jason Smith/Ricardo Louis/etc were guys with great athleticism but not “receivers” like Ross/Ridley/Cooper/etc(yes, I realize those guys were elite). A good portion of this is on the development or lack there of as well. Falling short multiple steps along the way adds up to less than stellar production(others factors in play here also that have been discussed at length). 

I would agree with that is how it used to be but for the past few classes we are getting some legit WR prospects. I will keep saying it is not their fault. No WR would look good in this system and offense.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

but he did a bad job with Nate Craig-Myers (5 catches for 88 yards in his debut at CSU last week).

Nate Craig-Myers is a pretty good receiver, and would have had a role here. He chose to leave when Seth Williams passed him by. Do you think Seth passing him is a bad thing?

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

The problem is, and it seems to overlooked by many of us, is there are only so many passes to go around. Now would we rather have Williams targeted 8 times in a game, or Matthew Hill. Schwartz 8 times, or McClain. Members here act like each wr should have 10 balls a game thrown their way.

I didn’t say or infer that. We are a run first offense. My point is that our WRs may not look as polished or developed as they might in a pass first offense, because they aren’t going to get the same game reps. Just like an o-lineman on a Mike Leach team is probably going to be a better pass blocker than run blocker. Because they do it a lot more. 

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I didn’t say or infer that. We are a run first offense. My point is that our WRs may not look as polished or developed as they might in a pass first offense, because they aren’t going to get the same game reps. Just like an o-lineman on a Mike Leach team is probably going to be a better pass blocker than run blocker. Because they do it a lot more. 

And I agree. Because there are not enough passes to go around.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Eli Stove caught his first TD pass this year. His 4th year in the program. Let that sink in.

This is the second time I've seen this statement. Is it meant to be a dig at Malzahn?

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Eli Stove caught his first TD pass this year. His 4th year in the program. Let that sink in.

Is this Stove’s 4th or 3rd year. Was thinking he’s a RS Jr. Either way, agree. He should have had more IMO. 

When do we expect some JUCO names to pop up on the DL? Have to imagine that we look at some after the transfer of Moore, right?

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Nate Craig-Myers is a pretty good receiver, and would have had a role here. He chose to leave when Seth Williams passed him by. Do you think Seth passing him is a bad thing?

Yah that role as continuing to be the main blocking Wr. I don't blame him for leaving.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

This is the second time I've seen this statement. Is it meant to be a dig at Malzahn?

Are you kidding? It’s absolutely a dig at the development of our receivers. 

3 hours ago, oracle79 said:

22 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Are you kidding? It’s absolutely a dig at the development of our receivers. 

Okay. This may be his 4th year at Auburn, but third to have meaningful playing time. He played in only 2 games last year.

In 2017, Stove tied for second, with Darius Slayton, among wrs with 29 catches. Davis was targeted too many times. In '16, Stove, as a freshman, was third among wrs with 23 receptions, behind Ryan Davis and Tony Stevens. Doesn't seem he was ignored, or not developed, just none of them were for tds.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Q Robinson 

Is he a possible flip from Bama?

13 hours ago, autan said:

5* Pickens flipping to UGA certainly didn't help us but we never seem to have a problem getting 4* guys at receiver position.  Getting the right ones may be the issue.

Him missing two big passes in the Norte Dame  game was great

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It's crazy that we got him

Yup. If Florida had an Urban or Spurrier he would have been a Gator.

11 hours ago, Linayus said:

Since I don't really follow recruiting much (hardly at all really), what is our biggest issue with getting any offensive lineman 4* or better? Is it truly scheme based and these guys know going to Georgia/Bama/LSU gets them noticed that much more for the NFL or do we just suck hardcore at recruiting the position? I know it has been said Grimes is crap at recruiting (and it looks like he's doing very little of it now) but is a decent fundamentals coach.

@Linayus 1st off, rating aren't everything, especially when you take 6 kids early at a position like we did with this class. Us taking them all early in the cycle means the staff is high on them regardless of site rankings. We have struggled before this year recruiting the OL though. There are 3 major factors for that. Before this year Gus didn't let his OL coaches have much input on who to take on the OL. Gus & then recruiting coordinator Tim Horton made those decisions. The next factor was Gus was too picky. He had plan As but for the most part didn't come up with plan Bs if we missed on the As. Lastly JB is not a good closer & that's why Dilly is closing most of the OL recruits now. Issues on landing OL aren't scheme related.

11 hours ago, Linayus said:

Do we need a total overhaul with a new o-line coach or do we need someone to fit Gus' offensive identity?

We need Dilly to be the great recruiter we are hoping he is, the staff needs to hit on its evals, & Gus needs to do a better of having plan Bs ready when we miss on plan As.

10 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Matthew Hill was wanted by Clemson and we beat them out for him. He didn’t magically stop learning how to lineup on the LOS or catch the ball. Something’s up.

However they wanted him as a DB & not a WR FWIW.

10 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Staff looking at one graduate transfer OL for next year?

No clue. Just know Gus is holding 2 spots open in the class right now for transfers or rolling them over.

10 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Are we looking at grad transfers on the DL?

It's usually not known til late November at the earliest who is even available as a GT, much less looking at any.

9 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

As far as WR's, and coaching, I don't believe our staff isn't doing a good enough job.  They are coaching these guys the same. Some guys are doing what they need to do, and some aren't.  It's virtually impossible to teach speed and hands.  If you've got the right attitude, you can learn to run routes, block,  and do the little things that get you playing time if you have speed and hands.  Usually, when a player doesn't succeed, it's more of a failure in the initial evaluation and/or attitude. 

Disagree on hands. Hands & focus on concentration can definitely be taught barring a disability that inhibits the focus & concentration part of catching a ball.

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Attitude b/c they don't see themselves getting enough playing time,

Or not putting in the work necessary. Every team has players like that.

3 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

When do we expect some JUCO names to pop up on the DL?

@AUinGA44 We may not. The DL landscape for jucos looks pretty barren in terms of potential SEC quality. Much more likely IMO we end up with a transfer from a 4 year school or a GT.

3 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

Have to imagine that we look at some after the transfer of Moore, right?

The staff was looking at jucos & prepared to look at the transfer market long before Moore left FWIW.

Archived