2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I already consider him gone.  Unless Bama is being noncommittal with him I’m not sure why he hasn’t flipped.  Maybe it’s a good sign that he is still committed but everything he’s put out screams he’s leaving.

Don't think he's a take for Bama.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Is Dilly not helping with that

He's the closer now but this is his 1st year recruiting big time talent. Relationships take time to build.

3 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I thought I’d heard that Gus was giving those guys more free reign over the Oline recruits?

Doubt it. Dilly is the closer now but I bet Gus still controls the process.

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

How is Kendall Simmons doing?

Not apart of recruiting staff.

Question @ellitor I realize we need several good options at OT, but what have we heard about the potential of Alec Jackson? He’s got a great OT frame, and what little he played this season, looks very athletic. Could he end up being the answer at LT in 2020?

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

what have we heard about the potential of Alec Jackson?

Not much other than he'll be in the mix to compete.

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Could he end up being the answer at LT in 2020?

Unlikely. Trox is making great recovery progress & expected to move to LT to compete with the jucos at LT. Bro-Hamm is the one who has made the biggest move at RT & appears to be the odds on favorite to win that job.

10 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

If we subtract Cohen, we have 20 commits and get 5 more this year I assume. So maybe this ?

DL- 2, Rodney comes through at the end like he always does with quality commits he had in his back pocket.

DB- 1, likely George

OL- 1 

BA- 1, best available

Where are we on those last 5 guys ?

By my counting, we have 27 slots available. Some sites have had us at 25 and then switched to 27 and back again and so forth. I'll stick with my 27 until I see otherwise. Now, we may not use all 27 if we can't get the right guys to sign but that's a different problem. My wish list has 27 with no grad transfers.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I know Brian George is locked in as our 4th DB. But if it’s between Tisdol & Reed for the 27th soot, then I would much rather take a 5th DB than a 3rd LB. If we aren’t going to get Simpson or Webb, then we need the talent and depth at Safety more than LB at the moment. 

Plus I would hate to see this guy end up at Georgia.

35 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@ellitor, of our commits, who is expected to sign in December? TIA

IDK. When Keith post them then I will. He hasn’t posted them yet.

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

But if it’s between Tisdol & Reed for the 27th soot

Gus isn't looking at it that way. We are taking 1 more CB only regardless of number of total spots left. Also I still don't think Tisdol is a take yet as AU has asked him to wait & OV AU in January & not sign til February. Tennessee is trying to get him to sign this month.

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Plus I would hate to see this guy end up at Georgia.

That's probably who leads right now.

16 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why not? This kid is the number 1 juco OT in the country. That works for me!

I'm wondering if taking three JUCO OT's in one class is a good idea? maybe it is, depending on their talent level.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm wondering if taking three JUCO OT's in one class is a good idea? maybe it is, depending on their talent level.

Probably not but as of now we aren't expecting Buskey to qualify so it would only be 2 if he doesn't.

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's better than signing one tweener 

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I was going to move this to the Appiah thread but I see sizzle already posted there. lol

Why Alabama small-school HS star will walk on at Auburn

Westminster Christian’s Jackson Billings grew up an Auburn fan, tagging along to Jordan-Hare Stadium to watch games with his season ticket-holding parents.

“I’ve probably been to 50 Auburn games,” he said.

Looks like he won’t need a ticket anymore.

Billings, a 5-foot-11 ,170-pound senior who has played receiver, quarterback and running back, has accepted an invitation as an invited walk-on at Auburn. He tweeted the news over the weekend and attended the 48-45 Iron Bowl victory.

“It’s a dream come true,” he said.

Billings played receiver at Westminster Christian in Huntsville as a junior and earned honorable mention honors on AL.com’s 2018 All-Huntsville Football Team in an offense that averaged 44.8 points per game.

Billings moved to running back to start 2019 , made a midseason move to quarterback and led the Wildcats to an 8-3 finish and a berth in the second round of the Class 3A playoffs. He ran for more than 1,000 yards, passed for another 1,198 yards and accounted for 39 touchdowns this season.

In a 47-28 playoff victory over Pisgah, Billings finished 23-of-25 passing for 338 yards and three touchdowns and added two rushing scores.

Success on the field, though, didn’t translate into offers. Some Division III schools extended offers, but nothing from Division I and certainly nothing from a Power 5 school.

Then, a few days before Auburn beat Samford 52-0, he received an invitation to attend the game on an unofficial visit and learned the Tigers would offer him a preferred walk-on spot. Preferred walk-ons are guaranteed a roster spot, but do not receive a scholarship.

He said he mulled the offer for a few days before accepting it.

“It all happened pretty fast,” he said. “It’s really been surreal.”

Walk-ons face a daunting challenge to earn playing time, but Billing said the success of Auburn receiver Will Hastings, who initially arrived at Auburn as a walk-on kicker, gives him hope. He also noted Auburn coach Gus Malzahn was a walk-on player at Arkansas.

“I feel extremely blessed, and I couldn’t be happier about how it all worked out,” Billings said.

with 21 commitments that leaves only four open spots. It seems we would like to take another quarterback, TE, and we’ve been giving a DB a lot of attention. That would only leave one spot open for another defense of lineman. But I thought we wanted at least two more DL’s.

Any thoughts on how these last four spots are distributed?

1 hour ago, JoeinPF said:

with 21 commitments that leaves only four open spots. It seems we would like to take another quarterback, TE, and we’ve been giving a DB a lot of attention. That would only leave one spot open for another defense of lineman. But I thought we wanted at least two more DL’s.

Any thoughts on how these last four spots are distributed?

@JoeinPF We can take up to 27 so there's 6 spots left. There will likely be more than that openthough with Buskey's grade issues, Cohen being 50-50 between AU & Bama, & apparently the staff not trying to keep Jeremiah Wright in the class. That leaves up to 9 spots left. With those 6-9 spots here are the possible distributions...

0-1 QB
1 TE
0-1 WR
1-2 OL
2 DL
0-1 LB
1 CB
1-2 Gus holds for Grad Transfers

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@JoeinPF We can take up to 27 so there's 6 spots left. There will likely be more than that openthough with Buskey's grade issues, Cohen being 50-50 between AU & Bama, & apparently the staff not trying to keep Jeremiah Wright in the class. That leaves up to 9 spots left. With those 6-9 spots here are the possible distributions...

0-1 QB
1 TE
0-1 WR
1-2 OL
2 DL
0-1 LB
1 CB
1-2 Gus holds for Grad Transfers

Wish we could take both juco corners if possible. I’d like to have both Emmanuel and Brian George

19 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Wish we could take both juco corners if possible. I’d like to have both Emmanuel and Brian George

It would be real hard to convince 3 juco corners to join in the same class. We already have Domio committed.

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Just have this sneaky suspicion we land Chandler Morris 

Probably will require Dilly leaving with Norvell should Norvell take the FSU job & dad be the new AU OC. If we get dad as an analyst only Chandler can't choose AU or vice versa. Pretty long bridge to go on that one.

Just a heads up I’ve got 2 16 hour workdays with the super seven the next two days so this might be the last time I post till sometime Saturday.

Archived