2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

48 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

So if I understand the roster numbers correctly, we believe the staff has a hard-cap of 25-signees leaving 1-2 spots open for potential Grad Transfers? Since those spots are counted back from last year, is this a case of "Use it or lose it"?

If so, we should expect those spots to be filled if at all possible, correct?

It's 2-4 spots left. Mikey & I think it's 27 but we've been wrong on these things before. Staff's sources are saying it's a hard cap of 25 FWIW.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if we have 2 slots left they are for who: McKinnley Jackson and Broderick Jones? If we have 4 slots left who are 2 other names to watch? 

15 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

So if we have 2 slots left they are for who: McKinnley Jackson and Broderick Jones? If we have 4 slots left who are 2 other names to watch? 

Are the two slots in addition to Hardy and Buskey who are committed but not signed.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

Are the two slots in addition to Hardy and Buskey who are committed but not signed.

The two slots is include Hardy but not Buskey since Buskey isn’t expected to qualify.

Not sure what time of year we do this but does anyone know if we offered or are planning on offering the kicker from Thompson at the very least a preferred walk on. I have heard that he and the very good Thompson QB are both big Auburn fans.  

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The two slots is include Hardy but not Buskey since Buskey isn’t expected to qualify.

Shocking!!! If Pickens qualified then everyone should be able to.

2 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Not sure what time of year we do this but does anyone know if we offered or are planning on offering the kicker from Thompson at the very least a preferred walk on. I have heard that he and the very good Thompson QB are both big Auburn fans.  

Yes he's been offered a PWO.

1 minute ago, bg5 said:

Shocking!!! If Pickens qualified then everyone should be able to.

Pickens was bad at one point but most AU connecteds I know said he would have qualified for AU in the end had he stuck with AU. UGA just didn't let him in.

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@AUinGA44 TBD but likely a grad transfer QB and grad transfer 0L or DL.

For anyone to answer: why would a grad transfer QB want to come to Auburn?

Does not compute.

JauntyThirstyArmedcrab-size_restricted.g

9 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Does not compute.

JauntyThirstyArmedcrab-size_restricted.g

Because a second stringer is one injury away from starting 

12 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Nobody from a P5 school for sure. But someone from the lower-level division Would be possible even if they just sit behind Bo. Could be a coach in training type gig like it is with Cord except for a shorter period.

🤔 I thought Chrystal Ball was the best recruiter ever. What do you think Mikey?

I know, I know; petty and childish but just thought I’d throw this in there for fun. 

4ACF9E80-AE42-40DE-B363-D20163DD0E4F.jpeg

11 minutes ago, rophle said:

🤔 I thought Chrystal Ball was the best recruiter ever. What do you think Mikey?

I know, I know; petty and childish but just thought I’d throw this in there for fun. 

4ACF9E80-AE42-40DE-B363-D20163DD0E4F.jpeg

That's only a little below Oregon's average the last 10 years or so.  

Also, the entire Pac 12 is struggling big time. Oregon has the 2nd-highest ranked class in the league, I believe. 

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's only a little below Oregon's average the last 10 years or so.  

Also, the entire Pac 12 is struggling big time. Oregon has the 2nd-highest ranked class in the league, I believe. 

I was just pointing out that it’s the 3rd time Gus has beat Mario in the last 4 months; on the field, keeping his job, and now in recruiting. 

27 minutes ago, rophle said:

I was just pointing out that it’s the 3rd time Gus has beat Mario in the last 4 months; on the field, keeping his job, and now in recruiting. 

Apples and oranges

Place Mario at Auburn with his recruiting and see where he ranks.

You're right about one thing though...petty

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Apples and oranges

I wouldn’t say it’s apples to oranges; I agree they don’t have the high school athletes at their back door like we do, but they’ve become a national name with an endless supply of $.

Okay, I’m ready to get back on topic and talk about the great job Gus has done. 

42 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Apples and oranges

Put him at AU competing against bama, LSU, dawgs, UF and there is no assurance he would do any better than gus and unlikely to better than our rivals.   As it is, he has most of California at his disposal because the California schools are not getting it done and Cal kids are quite willing to go out of state. 

How can USC justify keeping Helton?....and then in a state with huge talent and barely any in-state competition, he ends up with the MAC schools in recruiting?   JMO but Cristobal has a great recruiting situation....Peterson gone and Cal schools in disarray.   

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Put him at AU competing against bama, LSU, dawgs, UF and there is no assurance he would do any better than gus and unlikely to better than our rivals.   As it is, he has most of California at his disposal because the California schools are not getting it done and Cal kids are quite willing to go out of state. 

How can USC justify keeping Helton?....and then in a state with huge talent and barely any in-state competition, he ends up with the MAC schools in recruiting?   JMO but Cristobal has a great recruiting situation....Peterson gone and Cal schools in disarray.   

No, recruiting at Oregon is not a great situation. It never has been. 

And nobody said that he would for sure do better than Gus. What they said and what is only logical to assume is that he would do better at Auburn than he can at Oregon.

Seems you're trying to stick up for Gus when nobody was attacking him. But since that's how you wanted to steer the discussion, how do you think Gus would do at Oregon?

50 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Have we offered that Thompson QB as a PWO, too? He impressed me in the state championship. 

Not that I know of. He has no interest from any colleges right now.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seems you're trying to stick up for Gus when nobody was attacking him. But since that's how you wanted to steer the discussion, how do you think Gus would do at Oregon?

Actually not sticking up for Gus....just trying to spread a bit of reality about the recruiting situation for AU where Gus has done better than any of his predecessors as best I can tell and is still behind the big state name  schools.      

Oregon recruiting is not bad and has gotten better with the Cal schools doing so poorly.   It's the Pac12 for gosh sakes so their results are not gonna look like the SEC but they have been in the top 3 of the Pac the past 5 years and the top team the past two years after the California schools went south.  

They have a total of 2 Oregon HS signees the past 2 years....vast majority of their team from Cal.....and several from Alabama and Miss.....left over from his days at bama I guess.   My point is that he does not have much competition from the entire west coast from any team of significance. .  

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Actually not sticking up for Gus....just trying to spread a bit of reality about the recruiting situation for AU where Gus has done better than any of his predecessors as best I can tell and is still behind the big state name  schools.      

Oregon recruiting is not bad and has gotten better with the Cal schools doing so poorly.   It's the Pac12 for gosh sakes so their results are not gonna look like the SEC but they have been in the top 3 of the Pac the past 5 years and the top team the past two years after the California schools went south.  

They have a total of 2 Oregon HS signees the past 2 years....vast majority of their team from Cal.....and several from Alabama and Miss.....left over from his days at bama I guess.   My point is that he does not have much competition from the entire west coast from any team of significance. .  

The California kids are going somewhere, so yes, he has competition. 

With all of Phil Knight's money, and all of Chip Kelly's success, and all of the exposure they've enjoyed, Oregon has never recruited much above where they are now. Cristobal is bumping up against the ceiling in Eugene. And yet he still managed to finish well above what Oregon is typically capable of and 4 spots better than Gus just last year. So your argument seems odd to me.

Again. Do you think Gus would do better than Cristobal at Oregon?

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

With all of Phil Knight's money, and all of Chip Kelly's success, and all of the exposure they've enjoyed, Oregon has never recruited much above where they are now. Cristobal is bumping up against the ceiling in Eugene. And yet he still managed to finish well above what Oregon is typically capable of and 4 spots better than Gus just last year. So your argument seems odd to me.

Yes...

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I do think Gus would recruit just as good or better than Cristobal, he goes head to head with some great recruiters in this area and wins plenty of them. But, it’s a hypothetical that we’ll never know the answer to, just like we’ll never know how good Mario could do at Auburn.

Archived