2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

7 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Any new info with Jackson, Hardy, and B Jones? 

Recruiting gets back going in like mid January so nothing going on until then

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Any new info with Jackson, Hardy, and B Jones? 

@tbone1430 No & with a dead period lasting from now through January 16th we likely won't hear much til then barring maybe an interview at an all star game.

On Hardy there's nothing new to hear. He's solid to AU & was out of town at a basketball tournamemt in Florida when ENSD happened so there was even nowhere for him to have a ceremony. Still plans to sign with his teammates on NSD.

51 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

If he was an OT I could see us going after him as a guard I don't see it.

34 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If he was an OT I could see us going after him as a guard I don't see it.

I mean we are not as bad off on the interior but it's still not ideal. I wish we could find a spot for this guy. He's a stud.

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

We aren't taking nor need Guards. Let's not put tweets of every Grad Transfer in here please.

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We aren't taking nor need Guards. Let's not put tweets of every Grad Transfer in here please.

Noted. I figured a guy with that much experience would be hard to pass on. Give us flexibility with next year's line.

17 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Noted. I figured a guy with that much experience would be hard to pass on. Give us flexibility with next year's line.

Spots are limited in this class & we have bigger needs at OT, QB, DT, & it looks like we may take another TE.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Spots are limited in this class & we have bigger needs at OT, QB, DT, & it looks like we may take another TE.

Any QB still on the market we showing interest in? Or we looking at transfers?

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Any QB still on the market we showing interest in? Or we looking at transfers?

No new info so gotta assume a transfer at this point.

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hey ellitor, Do you have any idea why another TE? When Auburn already has Pegues, Fromm, Wilson, Deal, and Shenker?

51 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Hey ellitor, Do you have any idea why another TE? When Auburn already has Pegues, Fromm, Wilson, Deal, and Shenker?

Not E, but new OCs often bring in new recruits. 

Chad Morris knows how to use TEs. If he thinks the ones we have wont cut it, personally I'd listen to him...

48 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

@SumterAubie No but unlike the rest except maybe Shenker & Deal, Frazier looks like a true TE & may have better hands than those 2. The rest are more HBs. Also Wilson has no eligibility left after the outback bowl. Lastly there is talk of Pegues ending up on D.

53 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Wilson is graduating and Fromm seems like more of a receiver than actual TE. And then one of those guys will be a HB while the other can play TE

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If he thinks the ones we have wont cut it, personally I'd listen to him...

Us wanting another TE doesn't mean or imply he thinks the others can't cut it.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 12/30/19)
2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Ok. 

I mean it makes perfect sense then to sign 5 players in the last two classes for a position we largely haven't used in almost a decade. 

Especially in this class where the remaining spots are at a premium. 

Not saying you are wrong but I dont understand why we would need so many if the ones we have currently legitimately have potential?

I understand you said the others are more HBs rather than true TEs, but as I have seen you personally say HB and TE in this offense are the same position... 

Just doesn't make sense to take another one this class with spots at such a premium. As far as JJ ending up on D, I still wont believe that until I see it. Otherwise Gus would have talked about his ability on both sides of the ball but not a word was spoken about defense. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I mean it makes perfect sense then to sign 5 players in the last two classes for a position we largely haven't used in almost a decade. 

We use TEs a lot, just not much for pass catching. the latter doesn't make us any different than 90% of other schools. The 5 players statement is skewed for 2 reasons. 1. Wilson is 1 & done. 2. There are 2 playing positions for our TEs: on the line & behind the line. They are both played on plays at the same time sometimes. So in essence we are talking 4 or 5 guys for 2 playing positions. That's not a lot.

8 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I understand you said the others are more HBs rather than true TEs, but as I have seen you personally say HB and TE in this offense are the same position... 

Then you have also seen me say they can be playing 2 at the same time just as I did once again.

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Otherwise Gus would have talked about his ability on both sides of the ball but not a word was spoken about defense. 

Right. Cuz Gus has always been up front & straight forward talking to the media. If we've all learned anything by now it's info that cones from people connected to the program pans out a lot more often than what Gus says to the media.

55 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Exactly. We signed a lot of WR’s in this class too, that doesn’t mean the coaches think Seth, Schwartz, and Stove ain’t cutting it

16 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Exactly. We signed a lot of WR’s in this class too, that doesn’t mean the coaches think Seth, Schwartz, and Stove ain’t cutting it

Their backs ups, at least for some while, weren't though.

Pegues, Fromm, Wilson, Deal, and Shenker

300 lb guy who could end up on defense, 220 lb Cannella clone, graduating, coming off a torn ACL and known more for blocking than catching.... and then the guy who, out of all the names during Gus's tenure, was probably voted least likely to succeed but who has been the closest thing to a true pass-catching TE since Uzomah. 

Seems that at H/TE, we just bring in a couple swing guys here and there and we figure out how to use them later. Very few of them fit that 6'5 250 prototype mold coming in. Seems we get more guys who are more fullback-ish (Cox, Wilson, Shenker) or more big slot-ish (Cannella, Fromm). And now we're adding a guy who looks more like a DT than a TE. 

Sorry, rambling. While I don't buy that our talent at the position has been as limited as our usage of it- even with some REALLY bad luck with some of our most promising recruits- I do hope that we can lock in a couple guys who look like NFL TEs and figure out how to make one of them useful. 

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

IMO Gus and co put an emphasis on recruiting bigger and taller receivers in this class and they done a good job of getting them. Same with the DBs in this class 

"Can't cut it" is not the right description for an Auburn man. But I don't see why we should question Coach Morris going after someone who he thinks is a better fit for his and Gus's system. TE/HB players come in all shapes and sizes. We don't have one with Frazier's physical description currently on our roster maybe never have that I can recall.

1 hour ago, autan said:

"Can't cut it" is not the right description for an Auburn man. But I don't see why we should question Coach Morris going after someone who he thinks is a better fit for his and Gus's system. TE/HB players come in all shapes and sizes. We don't have one with Frazier's physical description currently on our roster maybe never have that I can recall.

As best I can tell nobody is questioning Coach Morris.

I am not against another TE in this class especially one with this body type. That said how is Deal's rehab going?  Also Fromm has the Body to put on more weight and be more than just a pass catching TE  has he gotten any thicker since entering Auburn?

Archived