2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

22 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not against another TE in this class especially one with this body type. That said how is Deal's rehab going?  Also Fromm has the Body to put on more weight and be more than just a pass catching TE  has he gotten any thicker since entering Auburn?

Fromm redshirted and I think has been hurt this year as well

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

That said how is Deal's rehab going?

Supposedly well but he's expected to be more of a blocker.

29 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

has he gotten any thicker since entering Auburn?

Not really as far as I can tell.

38 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not against another TE in this class especially one with this body type. That said how is Deal's rehab going?  Also Fromm has the Body to put on more weight and be more than just a pass catching TE  has he gotten any thicker since entering Auburn?

Deal played in some games this year

Fromm could put on more weight if we wanted him to, but do we want him to? No idea about his athleticism, but if he's got ups and hands like Sal, keep him just like he is! I mean seriously, we might have lost a national championship game a few years agojust because the other guy was 6'5. (Not really, buuuut...)

43 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Deal played in some games this year

Yup! 3 & can play in the Bowl & keep his redshirt.

Is AU allowed to give tickets to recruits for the bowl game?  I am pretty sure answer is no, but thought it would be cool if we could have local kids there

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How are we looking for McKinnley Jackson?

Nothing new from the nugget in the OP. Still top 5 & he's not tipping his hand right now.

3 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Is AU allowed to give tickets to recruits for the bowl game?  I am pretty sure answer is no, but thought it would be cool if we could have local kids there

No

2 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

That surely would help, I would think.  I think at the very least, he would need to hear from Morris regarding how the offense is going to change for next year to even consider AU.  I know I would after what I have seen this year.  That's only being smart in my opinion.  Let's hope for the best.

To be honest it really doesn’t matter what changes Morris would or wants to make if the OL doesn’t get any better. An average OL alleviates many of our offensive problems from the season.

2 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

That surely would help, I would think.  I think at the very least, he would need to hear from Morris regarding how the offense is going to change for next year to even consider AU.  I know I would after what I have seen this year.  That's only being smart in my opinion.  Let's hope for the best.

We got a chance. Momma is a AU Grad. He grew up a AU fan and going to games at Jordan Hare. If it's true he has a GF committed to AU that's another person on our side. 

We are going up against maybe the 1 team out of the premiere programs who has a worse scheme and qb development than us. Buuuuut recruiting is a illogical game. If it was logical we wouldn't do as great as we do in wr crutin or as bad as we do in OL crutin!! Lol

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

To be honest it really doesn’t matter what changes Morris would or wants to make if the OL doesn’t get any better. An average OL alleviates many of our offensive problems from the season.

This begs the question.......do we need a OL coaching change or not?  I have heard that Grimes is a good coach but not so good recruiting.  Do we make the change and will we make the change?  Guess we will know soon.  Got a good OL recruiting class and could be even better if we pull in Jones.  Do we give Grimes a chance to coach them up or do we go ahead and make the change?  I am kinda on the fence with this one.  What say you guys?

Make the coaching change NOW!!!! The game has passed him by....I'm sure they're some NFL offensive line coaches available.....didn't LSU pick up a passing coach from the NFL???

2 hours ago, roe4christ said:

.do we need a OL coaching change or not?

To close the deal on recruits on the trail, yes. We also need Gus to have an OL recruiting philosophy change for more than this year to always take the best 4 or so OL he can in every class so we don't end up with anymore 1-2 high school OL classes.

Do we make the change and will we make the change?

There is chatter but until it happens IDK.

Do we give Grimes a chance to coach them up or do we go ahead and make the change?

JB hasn't done much to land the class we have. Dilly did most of that work. He's also not a big factor in the Jones recruitment. Porter, Garner, & T-Will are handling that.

1 hour ago, tigerman1186 said:

Make the coaching change NOW!!!! The game has passed him by....I'm sure they're some NFL offensive line coaches available.....didn't LSU pick up a passing coach from the NFL???

@tigerman1186 Many NFL coaches don't like the college game because of the recruiting involved. Therefore, getting an NFL coach doesn't mean better OL play. We need someone who wants to & can recruit on his own.

21 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I hope not

If a player declares for the draft as in Iggy just now, does that open another spot/scholarship, making February SD and this recruiting season a bit more fluid? And do coaches work to fill THAT particular spot or use it where they feel it's needed most? 

6 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

If a player declares for the draft as in Iggy just now, does that open another spot/scholarship, making February SD and this recruiting season a bit more fluid? And do coaches work to fill THAT particular spot or use it where they feel it's needed most? 

Correct me if I am wrong E, but that does not affect our 25 scholarship limit per season.  That will affect our 85 total scholarship limit.  

38 minutes ago, abw0004 said:
47 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Correct me if I am wrong E, but that does not affect our 25 scholarship limit per season.  That will affect our 85 total scholarship limit.  

Correct. Also @ToraGirl the only way a team can get an open spot on the yearly 25 new enrollee limit for a player leaving is if it's a 1st year player that is kicked off the team before he finishes his 1st academic year. If a team does not fill up on its team total 85 schollied players from the incoming 25 new players then any open spots goes to walk ons in August.

With State firing CJM, any chance we try to snatch the JUCO WDE they signed in the early period? One would think the NCAA would let those kids sign somewhere else if they wanted. We have talked about taking a JUCO DL and this kid (Jordan Davis) is the #1 JUCO WDE. 

45 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

With State firing CJM, any chance we try to snatch the JUCO WDE they signed in the early period?

@Auburn2Eugene No. Signees are bound to the school they signed with for 1 year.

47 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

One would think the NCAA would let those kids sign somewhere else if they wanted.

There is no stipulation allowing kids to sign with a 2nd school after a coach leaves.

48 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

We have talked about taking a JUCO DL and this kid (Jordan Davis) is the #1 JUCO WDE.

More about signing at least 1 juco DT.

48 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Or is it a pure DL we are wanting and not a DE/Buck?

We are likely done at Buck in the class with Romello Height.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:47 PM, roe4christ said:

This begs the question.......do we need a OL coaching change or not?  I have heard that Grimes is a good coach but not so good recruiting.  Do we make the change and will we make the change?  Guess we will know soon.  Got a good OL recruiting class and could be even better if we pull in Jones.  Do we give Grimes a chance to coach them up or do we go ahead and make the change?  I am kinda on the fence with this one.  What say you guys?

Even if we made the change today it would take 3 seasons to get our OL back to where it needs to be. 

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Even if we made the change today it would take 3 seasons to get our OL back to where it needs to be. 

Disagree. While there’s a glaring need for a new OLC, the turnaround time wouldn’t be near as long. We need aggressive/athletic maulers on the line (something we haven’t had in a couple years), and the guys waiting in the ranks are believed to be that. Our OL will be addition by subtraction next year. I expect there to be a noticeable difference next season. 

Archived