2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I also wish the punter, Evan from Thompson high and or the kicker, Tyler from Troy would sign with Auburn. We need a punter or place-kicker who has a real strong lag.

Here’s a guy with great lag but I’m not sure he’s available to kick for us

F28C4CCE-2707-487E-AB42-2D9C9F569991.gif

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

How does Woodson leaving effect the rest of the class?

It doesn't. We are done at DB in the class. The only target he had a major relationship with was McKinnley Jackson who we weren't getting anyway.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It doesn't. We are done at DB in the class. The only target he had a major relationship with was McKinnley Jackson who we weren't getting anyway.

Thanks.  JGT seems to be implying that hiring Al Pogues could be coming soon.  He would be an excellent replacement as a recruiter, imo.

I heard the kicker from Thompson committed to us but I haven't seen anything. Not sure if it was for preferred walk on or a scholly. Either way that is a great pick up.

I'd guess as a walk on, probably a preferred walk on. It's not at all unusual for walkons to do a commitment announcement.

33 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'd guess as a walk on

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Keith is still hearing it's as a walk on.

2 hours ago, bg5 said:

I heard the kicker from Thompson committed to us but I haven't seen anything. Not sure if it was for preferred walk on or a scholly. Either way that is a great pick up.

I noticed McGuire didn't have any stars in his rating?

Is that normal for a kicker or was he not thought of as a top FG kicker?

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Not many kickers or punters get rated each year.

16 minutes ago, WVR said:

@ellitor who is Gus looking at today at Gardendale HS in Birmingham? I heard from a source (my daughter) that he was there today.

Likely

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Likely

That’s who I thought. Comes from very athletic family. Thank you sir!

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Best kicker in the State from what I have seen. Saw him twice this year and he is awesome. Kick's it through the end zone most of the time. Can kick long accurate Field Goals. Not a punter though. He did punt for Thompson but wasn't great at it. But it will be interesting to see who kicks off next year unless he red shirts because I think he is the upper 90% on touchbacks.   

Also heard today that there is a chance Thompson's QB my walk on. Not sure why he isn't being looked at by many. I thought he was really good this year. To me head to head with Ashford he was the better QB.

49 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Also heard today that there is a chance Thompson's QB my walk on. Not sure why he isn't being looked at by many. I thought he was really good this year. To me head to head with Ashford he was the better QB.

Would love this! Watched him live in Jordan Hare for the state championship, and he absolutely balled out! I would love to have a story like his (unrecruited 0-star) come in and surprise folks and be a star. Obviously not saying that’ll happen; just that I think it’d be cool. 

16 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Would love this! Watched him live in Jordan Hare for the state championship, and he absolutely balled out! I would love to have a story like his (unrecruited 0-star) come in and surprise folks and be a star. Obviously not saying that’ll happen; just that I think it’d be cool. 

I agree I just don't see why nobody is after him. We played Thompson twice this year and he killed us both times. Great arm, accurate and it looks like he has the height as well. He ran decent too.

2 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I agree I just don't see why nobody is after him. We played Thompson twice this year and he killed us both times. Great arm, accurate and it looks like he has the height as well. He ran decent too.

Yeah I’m not sure about that either. I was shocked that he wasn’t being recruited when I looked him up during that game. He looked every bit of the part. Could be a great diamond in the rough. He’s obviously a winner, and I would love to have him at Auburn. 

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

Best kicker in the State from what I have seen. Saw him twice this year and he is awesome. Kick's it through the end zone most of the time. Can kick long accurate Field Goals. Not a punter though. He did punt for Thompson but wasn't great at it. But it will be interesting to see who kicks off next year unless he red shirts because I think he is the upper 90% on touchbacks.   

Just a guess, but maybe they want him to RS, like Carlson did, get in the weight room, and depending on whether Carlson has a great 2020 and might try to go pro, then McGregor will have had a year or 2 working on his kicking and maybe even punting. 

Unless coaches think they can make him into a SEC punter(quickly), I don't see this filling our punting need.

Evan is a kicker first and a punter second as only averaged around 36 yards a punt.  My youngest boy plays rugby and does a lot of the kicking for his men's team as he often plays fullback for them.  As a Junior in HS some years back he could consistently punt in the 35-38 yard range then he started to fill out  and by the time he started to play Rugby at the club level after HS he could easily punt 40+ yards with great hang time when he wanted to. In Rugby you seldom just punt for distance and hang time as there are all kinds of different kick depending on what you are trying to do.   What I am trying to say is if Evan has good form and works hard the balance of this year  he could easily add 5-6 yards to his punting average and might be an option.

I hope Sawyer Pate takes the PWO offer from Auburn the kid looks awfully good to me in the film I watched. I am surprised nobody has offered him.

Archived