2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So it looks like we're going to go 2 straight classes without signing a HS OT.

boldStrategy.gif

@ellitor can you think of any 2 year stretch where a coach has not signed a HS OT?

2017- Ashley (gone), Troxell (2 busted knees), Alec Jackson (HS DT crossover)

2018 - ...

2019- ...

2020 - Zier (JUCO), Coffey (JUCO)

2 HS OT in 2017 with only one remaining, none in the next 3 classes

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2018 - ...

2019- ...

Part of our strategy.  We got em right where we want em! 

55 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2018 - ...

2019- ...

Wow,  I'd forgotten we didn't sign one in the 2018 class.  Going for that three-peat.

12 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So it looks like we're going to go 2 straight classes without signing a HS OT.

boldStrategy.gif

@ellitor can you think of any 2 year stretch where a coach has not signed a HS OT?

Osborne was getting his first shot at OT with Grimes. Not sure if that's still the plan or not with Bicknell. If it is then it's not 2 years in a row with no high school OTs. With that said, it has happened in Gus's tenure. 2013 & 14.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Osborne was getting his first shot at OT with Grimes. Not sure if that's still the plan or not with Bicknell. If it is then it's not 2 years in a row with no high school OTs. With that said, it has happened in Gus's tenure. 2013 & 14.

I seriously doubt Osborne ever plays OT. Besides JB and Mikey, only one or two others thought he ever would.

That's like saying we're not flat broke because we do have exactly one nickel to our name, lol.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

So in 7 classes this could be the 5th without a HS OT signed?

wut01.gif

19 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Wow,  I'd forgotten we didn't sign one in the 2018 class.  Going for that three-peat.

When we didn’t sign one in 2019, we claimed that Justin Osborne had long arms and therefore ‘could’ play tackle so I think he counts as one. 😅

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

When we didn’t sign one in 2019, we claimed that Justin Osborne had long arms and therefore ‘could’ play tackle so I think he counts as one. 😅

Top 10 Classes though.

Did I do that right?

1 hour ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So in 7 classes this could be the 5th without a HS OT signed?

wut01.gif

Not necessarily. Stutts may be an OT also. Even though Sammons was listed as a DE out of HS he was strictly recruited by Hand as an OT when Hand got to AU.

30 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not necessarily. Stutts may be an OT also. Even though Sammons was listed as a DE out of HS he was strictly recruited by Hand as an OT when Hand got to AU.

In that case, I'll rephrase.  So in  classes this could be the 5th without a HS OT signed that wasn't a project?

Am I missing anyone?  This is a pathetic list.

2013 - 0
2014 - 0
2015 - Mike Horton (moved inside), Bailey Sharp (didn't he get his spot because he was some TPTB grandson?)
2016 - Brodarious Hamm, Prince Sammons (complete project who apparently doesn't enjoy football anymore)
2017 - Calvin Ashley (evaluation bust), Austin Troxell (RIP his knees)
2018 - Kameron Stutts (probably an OG)
2019 - 0
2020 - 0

Sammons will never play and Stutts is a guard.

21 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

So in  classes this could be the 5th without a HS OT signed that wasn't a project?

All recruits are projects on some level.

2015 - Mike Horton (moved inside)

Doesn't count. Was never an OT for us

2017 - Calvin Ashley (evaluation bust)

No matter how much you want to push this narrative on some guys it's not true most of the time you've done it. He wasn't an evaluation bust. Talent wise he had the tools needed. He just didn't have what he needed to mentally. That is extremely hard to even try to eval in the recruiting process. He is a bust because of his own mental make up & his doing but talent wise, which are what evals are based on, he wasn't a bust.

Austin Troxell (RIP his knees)

Maybe but not yet. Supposedly recovering well & may start this season.

2019 - 0

Osborne is TBD. Was at OT with Grimes. Haven't heard yet if Bicknell is moving him inside.

12 hours ago, bigbird said:

Even though Sammons was listed as a DE out of HS he was strictly recruited by Hand as an OT when Hand got to AU.

I know but we were just talking about what position players were/are at

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Are you sure? I've heard he's worked at OT some.

It would only be in an absolutely dire, Troxell blows out another knee, Ziere blows out another knee, Coffey falls in a well type situation. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

No matter how much you want to push this narrative on some guys it's not true most of the time you've done it. He wasn't an evaluation bust. Talent wise he had the tools needed. He just didn't have what he needed to mentally. That is extremely hard to even try to eval in the recruiting process. He is a bust because of his own mental make up & his doing but talent wise, which are what evals are based on, he wasn't a bust.

This. And kinda like Byron Cowart, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Some kids are,for lack of a better word, lazy. If the BiGGiE in 2020 could put his brain into the 2007 highschool self, I would've applied myself much harder and been much more competitive on the football field.

What separates my highschool self from these 5 and 4-star prospects is that I never had a 6'5"+ frame (I was pushing 5'7" as a senior)

I too hate that "evaluation bust" narrative. Hundreds and thousands of people have seen the film on these kids and have concluded that they are incredibly talented. But sometimes you have to be deeply invested in someone before the hidden flaws spring up. That's just life.

I'm intrigued the most to see the ability of the 2 JUCO OTs, Ziere (knee) and Coffey, against SEC level competition. If they work out we are in halfway decent shape for '20. 

I recall reading an article on 247 or Rivals or something talking about the OL going into the offseason. It had Osborne listed with the Guards, and I believe said he had been working there in bowl practice. I'm working solely from memory, but that's my recollection.

I assume our Tackle group next year will be some mix of:

Hamm
Troxell
Jackson
Zierer
Coffey
Transfer X

If Hamm or Trox don't win jobs (and assuming health), I expect either or both to move inside. I believe both are two of our top five OL players so I expect both to start. Both guys have played and practiced at Guard and Tackle. Of that group, oddly, I have the highest hopes for Coffey. He just has a whiff of Brandon Mosley to him.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Of that group, oddly, I have the highest hopes for Coffey. He just has a whiff of Brandon Mosley to him.

Well, the MASH unit full of busted knees makes those hopes a little less crazy.

5 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

I too hate that "evaluation bust" narrative. Hundreds and thousands of people have seen the film on these kids and have concluded that they are incredibly talented. But sometimes you have to be deeply invested in someone before the hidden flaws spring up. That's just life.

Agreed. Not only hours of film, but these coaches have a team of analysts watching and evaluating these kids on film going back to their first year of high school. Then the coaches and staffs are watching these kids at a year round parade of camps. And of course they are watching them play live during their seasons some, too. Evaluation busts should be much much less common now than in the past. 

Archived