2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Until we get a better recruiter for a OL coach  we need to recruit the OL position like we are not a high profile top tier program who gets top 10 recruiting classes every year. We cannot slow play these mid tier 3 star OL anymore because we think we have a shot at a big fish down the line.  That strategy has proven to not work LIKE AT ALL the past several crutin classes. We are getting rejected at every turn by the stud OL especially the OT's. We just cannot land one to literally save this staffs job. We just need to play it safe and take the layup bird in hand and all those cliches so we are not scrambling at the end of each cycle trying to find any warm body out there that is a OL to jump on board. 

It's really crazy when you compare the DL to the OL. Recruiting, draftees, production... night and day. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, you're gonna do that thing you do. I'll play along.

Why five? Who said anything about taking five 3*s? 

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

giphy.gif

Don't get Mikey started. Everything started going downhill when these long haired hippies and their good time buddies started corrupting our precious youth! With their jazz cabbage and electrified ghee-tars and what not. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Don't get Mikey started. Everything started going downhill when these long haired hippies and their good time buddies started corrupting our precious youth! With their jazz cabbage and electrified ghee-tars and what not. 

I really like that song they sing. Very catchy!!🎵

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Rock 'n' Roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."~~ John Milner in the movie "American Graffiti".

On 4/19/2019 at 10:54 PM, Mikey said:

Rock 'n' Roll's been goin' downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."~~ John Milner in the movie "American Graffiti".

...Suzanne Somers, quite hot back then!

Assuming the OP is accurate and current, and reading that great update by ToddC on another thread, I just flat out want to whine and complain.  

Why? 

Look at the number of recruits ont he D side that say Auburn leads or Auburn is the team to beat or this is an Auburn/FSU battle or similar.  Very few such comments on the O side.   Especially the OL.   I guess I am still focused on the OL.   

My fear - we won't even get a big class of 3* recruits because some players don't want to come in with 4-5 recruits for the OL.  Maybe they fear the competition...IDK.        We have really put ourselves in a world of hurt and the updates don't look great.   

Yes I am a fan and know some folks on this board have forgotten more about recruiting than I know.  Am I seeing the current situation wrong?  Regarding OL and the O side?    

I hope I am wrong.   

How come the turds have recruits on campus and before they leave they commit? 

on the other hand when we get recruits on campus, they tell us how high they are on Auburn, making it sound like they are ready to commit. Then they give us some BS story and tell us it will be August of September or whatever?  If Gus is slow playing these guys he is a fool, he better get what he can get, 

can we not seal the deal? 

what in the heck is going on? 

9 hours ago, Roos said:

on the other hand when we get recruits on campus, they tell us how high they are on Auburn, making it sound like they are ready to commit. Then they give us some BS story and tell us it will be August of September or whatever?  If Gus is slow playing these guys he is a fool, he better get what he can get, 

At bama the recruits know that if they don't commit when Saban tells them to that there is an equally qualified or sometimes better player in line to commit. Saban is recruiting from a position of strength his team always competes for national Title and his team always puts a lot of players into NFL. Once the cycle starts it is easier to recruit because the recruits see how many are going to next level.  

Gus doesn't have that type of leverage where he can try and force players to commit. He needs multiple years of 1st and 2nd round draft picks and competing for National Title. 

9 hours ago, Roos said:

Our "thing" is to be honest, encourage them to take their time in making the right choice, not put too much pressure on them, etc. And honestly I'm okay with it. I think that's the only way we will compete with bama, uga and now Clemson. And it's mostly been working. In addition to getting talent- we remain one of the 10 most talented teams in the country- we generally attract a certain kind of guy and I would venture a guess that we have unusual cohesion and character in our locker room. Admittedly, this is one topic on which I lean sunny and for which I give Gus and his staff a ton of credit. 

TL;DR- We're not going to reel them in with saban's approach, at least not right now. Same goes for just about every other team in the country except maybe Clemson (now). If we ever start matching those teams in terms of success and early round draft picks, that might change. IMO.

Edit: What @AuburnNTexas said.

On 9/11/2018 at 1:46 PM, ellitor said:

Format & some info gathered from AUSportsNerd. He does great work & writes for CollegeandMag.com. If you are on twitter give him a follow.

Offers | Class Calculator

Positional & overall number plans will be updated as info comes available.

2020 Commits
4* WR Kobe Hudson - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* WR JJ Evans - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* OL Avery Jernigan - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* LB Demouy Kennedy - 247 | Rivals | Highlights  Decommitted
3* DL Damarjhe Lewis - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* DL Daniel Foster-Allen - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* Juco OT Jonathan Buskey - 247 | Rivals | Highlights

3* DUAL Chayil Garnett - new

Positional numbers & class number plans will be posted after the 2019 class has signed & a better grasp of the 2020 class needs are obtained.

Names To Know

# means player doesn't yet have an offer
(number of commits at position/number wanted at a position)

QB (0/1)
4* Robby Ashford - AU/UGA battle with decision expected in Spring. UGA may lead. Plans to play baseball also.
3* Anthony Richardson (#) - Former UF commit that KN says AU might have interest in looks like he's committed to UF again
3* Chayil Garnett - correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a sliver of a chance we try and land Ashford as well?
RB (0/2)
5* Demarkcus Bowman - Major UF lean, Caddy's 1st visit was to him
4* Tank Bigsby - AU/SCAR/UGA battle with Cocks trending
4* Roydell Williams - Bama commit but AU will continue to recruit
4* Lawrence Toafili - FSU, Michigan, Ohio St. also involved. Hopes to visit AU soon.
3* Kobe Pryor - Recently offered. AU team to beat. Will visit again soon. Ratings bump is expected.
4* Daijun Edwards - could be worth adding here

3* Tajae Davis - could be worth adding as well
WR (2/3)
4* EJ Williams - AU/CLEM battle with Clemson likely team to beat.
4* Alex Adams - AU offered right after he committed to Miss St. Plans to visit AU March 2nd/
4* Malachi Wideman - could be worth adding

4* Rico Powers Jr.could be worth adding

3* Elijah Canioncould be worth adding

3* Kenton Poitiercould be worth adding (doesn't have a composite yet this is his 247 ranking)
TE (0/1-2)
5* Arik Gilbert - Monster recruit. UGA & Vols getting most buzz.
4* Jeremiah Pegues - Has become a major target. Plans to visit for a Spring practice.
3* Kendall Karr - In State UNC another program to watch Now a UNC commit

OL (2/6-7)
5* OT Broderick Jones - UGA commit took Surprise visit with many family in January.
4* OT Tate Ratledge - May be behind UGA, Bama & Vols
4* OT Bryn Tucker - Expected to visit AU soon. Clemson another team to watch. Now a Clemson commit
4* OT/OG Chris Mayo - AU appears to be a major factor. Has visited twice from NJ & hopes to visit again soon.
4* OT/OG Omari Thomas - AU made top 12
4* OT Jalen Rivers - Plans to visit March 2nd. Bama, Florida, FSU, UGA, Miami, & Clemson also involved.
4* OT Marcus Henderson - AU made top 12
4* OT Joshua Braun - Major target planning to visit during Spring practice. Younger bro of Grad Transfer target Parker Braun.
4* OG Miller Merriweather-Lewis - LSU heavy favorite
4* OT Jonathan Denis - Recently visited
3* OT Trey Zimmerman - Major target. Expected to visit soon. Now UNC commit
3* OT Javion Cohen (#) - Expecting an offer soon
3* OT/OG Marlon Martinez - Recently offered. Likely to OV
3* OT Bradley Ashmore - Vandy commit. Recently offered & AU working on getting him to visit.
3* OG Xavier Hill - Many SEC schools offered this week. Hopes to visit AU soon.
3* OG Jalen St. John - Strongly considering AU along with Vols, K State, Illinois, & Iowa St.
4* OT Marcus Dumervil - might be worth adding

3* OG Tate Johnson - might be worth adding
DL
5* DE Myles Murphy - Major target. UGA getting the buzz. Bama & Clemson also involved
5* DT McKinnley Jackson - Visited AU multiple times & expected back soon. Most buzz with LSU, Bama, Rebels, & Miss St. also factors.
4* DT Andy Boykin - Former AU commit. Not sure how hard AU is pushing. Bama, Miami, Oklahoma, & UGA also involved.
4* Zykeivous Walker - Physically impressive. AU heavy in the mix but UGA may lead.
3* DT Eric Taylor - Bama may lead
4* DE BJ Ojulari - might be worth adding

4* DT Jalen Carter - might be worth adding
BUCK
4* Quandarrius Robinson - Former AU commit. AU sources feel AU still in a good spot. Bama biggest threat.
4* Will Anderson - Major AU target. One time AU lean now looks to be an AU FSU battle

LB
4* Phillip Webb - AU/CLEM battle. Too close to call. Legacy grew up AU fan.
4* Cameron Riley - AU/MSST battle with AU surging.
3* Rodney Groce - AU team to beat. Ole Miss also involved
3* Desmond Tisdol - Named AU leader., South Carolina, Florida, & Purdue also in the mix. Stock rising.
3* Eric Shaw - Recently offered, Recruited as an OLB
4* Jayion McCluster - might be worth adding

4* Trenton Simpson - might be worth adding

3* Alvin Mathis - might be worth adding
DB
4* S Enzo Jennings - ND may lead
4* CB Henry Gray - AU made top 8 but Clemson, Ohio St., Miami getting most of the buzz.
3* CB/S Sidney Williams - AU leads big. Vols & LSU also in the mix. Bama & Clemson will be contenders if they offer.
3* CB Dominick Hill - UGA could be team to watch. Bama Florida, FSU also involved.
3* CB Daran Branch - AU offered early Miami commit now

4* CB Ethan Pouncey - might be worth adding

3* JUCO CB Brian George - might be worth adding (doesn't have a composite ranking)

3* CB Kendall Dennis - might be worth adding (doesn't have a composite ranking)

4* S Keshawn Lawrence - might be worth adding

4* S Xavion Alford - might be worth adding

ATH
4* Damarcus Beckwith - Could be a QB, WR, S, or LB pending growth & devel. Expected to visit AU soon. Mich., Neb., & SC-Cocks also involved.

4* Wesley Steinermight be worth adding

4* Jeremiah Peguesmight be worth adding

4* Joel Williamsmight be worth adding

3* Eric Shawmight be worth adding

3* Jordon Ingram -might be worth adding

3* Ladarius Tennison -might be worth adding

Other Recruiting Notes

Saw where we offered a punter and thought it was interesting

Class Ranks
Composite
247 only
ESPN (Will add 2020 team rankings link when ESPN posts it.)
Rivals

Recruiting Calendar
Recruiting Calendars FAQ

Different color shirting explained

Just some quick updates I saw while scrolling through 247. I'm sure there's info that removes 80% of the people I suggested; simply trying to help since I see the thread hasn't been *officially* updated in a few months.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Just some quick updates I saw while scrolling through 247. I'm sure there's info that removes 80% of the people I suggested; simply trying to help since I see the thread hasn't been *officially* updated in a few months.

This is where we’re really gonna miss @ellitor..

15 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is where we’re really gonna miss @ellitor..

Is he leaving?

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Is he leaving?

Got his dream job and doesn’t have time to handle it like he used to.

Just now, toddc said:

I'm happy for him! Working on getting my dream job too and I'd stab some people to get it at this rate. Current job is making me consider literally any other career right now. That being said, I'll try to help out on here but all I can provide is dragging information from other sites like 247 that aren't always up to date. No connections, premium info, or deep knowledge from me like E.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm happy for him! Working on getting my dream job too and I'd stab some people to get it at this rate. Current job is making me consider literally any other career right now. That being said, I'll try to help out on here but all I can provide is dragging information from other sites like 247 that aren't always up to date. No connections, premium info, or deep knowledge from me like E.

We appreciate it, friend. 

And good luck. I know the feeling. 

Maybe if we all worked together we can still have a decent amount of information, although it won’t be as coordinated as @ellitor had it.

Not sure why I was tagged not just once but twice given my new job duties don't allow me to participate in recruiting discussions anymore. This thread should probably be flushed or something & a new one started by @Zeek or someone. Whoever does it though I would recommend copying as much as you can from TigerPaw on the rant and his 1st 2 posts on their recruiting thread which he keeps up to date fairly well.. He's the new Free AU recruiting guru...

https://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=81881369&s=2&p=81881369#81881369

https://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=81881374&s=2&p=81881369#81881374

3 hours ago, toddc said:

Not a dream job nor a time issue. I'm just not allowed to since my job is security for recruiting events & at recruiting areas during games.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure why I was tagged not just once but twice given my new job duties don't allow me to participate in recruiting discussions anymore. This thread should probably be flushed or something & a new one started by @Zeek or someone. Whoever does it though I would recommend copying as much as you can from TigerPaw on the rant and his 1st 2 posts on their recruiting thread which he keeps up to date fairly well.. He's the new AU recruiting guru...

https://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=81881369&s=2&p=81881369#81881369

https://www.secrant.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=81881374&s=2&p=81881369#81881374

I think they were just tagging you out of respect and sorrow. Congrats on your new position man and thanks for all you've done for us.

Just now, Zeek said:

I think they were just tagging you out of respect and sorrow

I get that but it still kinda stings I can't participate anymore.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I get that but it still kinda stings I can't participate anymore.

Ah I hadn't even thought of that. Feel for you bud.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not a dream job nor a time issue. I'm just not allowed to since my job is security for recruiting events & at recruiting areas during games.

Sorry about the miss information. Thanks for all you did in the past.

Archived