2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I hope Auburn can sign the QB from Texas.

He saw you wanted him & decided to go to aTm.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a note a dead period has started & goes though July 24th. Other than Capers planning to commit on my birthday July 1st, things may be relatively slow the next month.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Out of that strong looking list, I wonder who'll be Auburn's next commit.

Capers, the  wide receiver. 

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Capers, the  wide receiver. 

Found out last week I am good friends with his weight trainer because he is my trainer as well.  Small world.  

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Found out last week I am good friends with his weight trainer because he is my trainer as well.  Small world.  

And the school doesn't exist. lol

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And the school doesn't exist. lol

Yeah I asked him about that!  Apparently it was just built.  I am surprised Capers decided to spend his senior year there knowing the football program was not established. 

I am looking over the commits on first page of this thread. And we are doing great on O side so far.

3 WR with a good possibility of a 4th very soon Capers

4 O-Line two OT and two OG and will probably sign 2-3 more. This could be one of our better O-Line classes with some Juco players for next year and some players who have potential but will need time to develop.

1 QB all we will sign.

We need 1 RB and the balance of the O-line and we are done on O side. we will probably end up with 12-13 O Players.

D has been a little slow this year so far

2 very good LB's - Looking good on a couple of others so not to worried about LB especially with the way T-Will is recruiting this year.

1 DL - Garner always seems to get a good class and always seems to take a while so I am not worried there.

DB -  from what every one has said is a weaker class this year to begin with so I have to admit I am worried at DB's would feel much better if we could have a few commit after our July thing. Need Woodson and McGriff to come through for us.

Here is commit list I cut from first page of this thread.

2020 Commits
4* WR Kobe Hudson - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* WR JJ Evans - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* OT Javion Cohen - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* OG Tate Johnson - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* LB Trenton Simpson - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
4* LB Cam Riley - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* QB Chayil Garnett - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* WR Elijah Canion - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* Juco OT Jonathan Buskey - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* OG Avery Jernigan - 247 | Rivals | Highlights
3* DL Daniel Foster-Allen - 247 | Rivals | Highlights

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Need Woodson and McGriff to come through for us

I'm concerned too but they usually do.

On 6/25/2019 at 12:04 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

DB -  from what every one has said is a weaker class this year to begin with so I have to admit I am worried at DB's would feel much better if we could have a few commit after our July thing. Need Woodson and McGriff to come through for us.

We've got the only crystal ball in for Ethan Pouncey, and still could pull in Chris Thompson Jr. (although Texas may lead there). If we can pull in Pouncey, and one more DB, I think that would be fine. 2019 was a good DB year for us, so we've got a little bit of a buffer. 

2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We've got the only crystal ball in for Ethan Pouncey, and still could pull in Chris Thompson Jr. (although Texas may lead there). If we can pull in Pouncey, and one more DB, I think that would be fine. 2019 was a good DB year for us, so we've got a little bit of a buffer. 

The 2019 class wasn’t as good as it was with Cam’Ron Kelly having to transfer due to family issues. 2 DBs in this class is not enough  given we will lose 3 of the 5 starters and possibly 4. We need 2 each at CB & S at minimum. May end up having to go to the grad transfer market after the season.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The 2019 class wasn’t as good as it was with Cam’Ron Kelly having to transfer due to family issues. 2 DBs in this class is not enough  given we will lose 3 of the 5 starters and possibly 4. We need 2 each at CB & S at minimum. May end up having to go to the grad transfer market after the season.

Still have Tutt, Askew, McCreary, Leonard, Peters, Sherwood, Monday, not to mention Puckett, Simpson, and Pritchett for 2020. 

Depending on how good they turn out to be, or transfers, we could still bring back Tutt, Askew, McCreary, Sherwood, Monday, Pucket, Simpson, and Pritchett back for 2021. Just seems to me like we've got enough, but I certainly trust your thoughts over mine here. 

Edit: Where do we stand on Xavion Alford? 4* Safety out of Pearland, TX. Visited us at the beginning of the month and we look to be one of his top schools on 247.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Still have Tutt, Askew, McCreary, Leonard, Peters, Sherwood, Monday, not to mention Puckett, Simpson, and Pritchett for 2020. 

10 guys for 5 positions is not that deep. It's barely a full 2 deep. There is no indication Askew & Leonard are anything more than bodies at this point. And with those 10 as the roster is now only 2 are CBs, only 3 Safeties, 4 Nickels, & 1 TBD. We need more talent at CB & S.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

we could still bring back Tutt, Askew, McCreary, Sherwood, Monday, Pucket, Simpson, and Pritchett back for 2021. Just seems to me like we've got enough

Not enough for 5 playing positions in the secondary. Not close to enough.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's amazing that OL, CB, and S all need potential bolstering from Juco ranks. That's 3 out of 8 groups (QB, RB, OL, WR, DT, LB, CB, S) that are deficient. Our recruiting coordinator needs a more balanced approach or we need to reevaluate the focus of our efforts. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's amazing that OL, CB, and S all need potential bolstering from Juco ranks. That's 3 out of 8 groups (QB, RB, OL, WR, DT, LB, CB, S) that are deficient. Our recruiting coordinator needs a more balanced approach or we need to reevaluate the focus of our efforts. 

I’m going higher up than the recruiting coordinator. Gus has got to learn how to manage a roster if he’s going to be a consistently successful college coach here or anywhere.

If Cam Ron Kelley hadn't of transferred to be nearer home we would not be in that bad of shape at DB. That is one you can't blame coaches on. We would still be a little thin but with a good class this year we will be ok. Problem is this year the DB talent is not as deep as usual which makes this a difficult time to catch up. I will wait till end of October or beginning of November before I start panicking-

There are legitimate reasons to worry at this time but not to panic. More than ever Gus will need Auburn to play well this year to help seal some players, to make it harder to negatively recruit against him.  I realize what a tough schedule Auburn has and normally that  might give a coach some breathing room but there have been to many so so years. If this team doesn't win at least 9 games this year and has to beat either GA or bama then we probably lose some recruits who are on the fence and we probably lose Gus also.

16 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Edit: Where do we stand on Xavion Alford? 4* Safety out of Pearland, TX. Visited us at the beginning of the month and we look to be one of his top schools on 247.

@tigerbrotha12 Not much AU chatter on him besides a random article done yesterday by an LSU reporter.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

This could be Tisdol & Steiner racing to see who gets in the class...

FreshFaintBeagle-max-1mb.gif

Assuming we get only one of them, are we still trying to hold a spot for Phillip Webb as well?

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Assuming we get only one of them, are we still trying to hold a spot for Phillip Webb as well?

Different position. They are being recruited as inside linebackers. Webb is being recruited as a buck.

Question may have already been asked, but would we take both Tisdol & Steiner? 

1 hour ago, Roos said:

Question may have already been asked, but would we take both Tisdol & Steiner? 

As of now no. Hence the post above about them maybe racing to get in the class.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

Who do you think it will be?  Does the staff have a strong preference?

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Does this mean you think both of them may be trying to get AU to accept their commitment?

1 hour ago, Auburn 6 said:

Who do you think it will be?  Does the staff have a strong preference?

No clue & doubt it since it's the 1st one in the boat.

Archived