2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

14 hours ago, twilli13 said:

I'm sorry I dont see the o class being great due to o line.  Most of the guys were 3 stars not recruited by the likes Bama, UGA, Lsu, etc. Not one elite prospect. We are doing really well almost everywhere else in recruiting. This is what we are going to get until Gus hires a legit recruiter as o line coach. 

Cohen is a solid 4*, Buskey and Zierer are 3* Juco OT's  that would easily be 4* is they were not Juco, Wright and Jernigan both have the size and nastiness to become very solid SEC players in the future. This will turn out to be a very solid O-line group with 2-3 impact players next year Buskey, Zierer and maybe Cohen and the other with 1-2 years of seasoning before playing in the SEC.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/5/2019 at 8:32 PM, bigbird said:

Derek Hall and Colby Wooden make it less important to me for this class

Plus we have a couple of Bucks coming back next year.

Let’s just go ahead and cut to the chase, because it inevitably will soon come up.

Signing 5*s: great

Ending up with 3*’s:  not great but still promising if Grimes can coach them up. 

Yes, there are a bunch of former 2* and 3* recruits in the NFL. Is this evidence the recruiting system is flawed, maybe so, but it’s mainly because the NR/ 2*/3* population is so much greater than the rest at the high school level. As such a MUCH lower percentage of said population is represented in the NFL than the 4’s and 5’s.

Yes I know I’m an a-hole, but you’ll forgive me whenever I’m fighting for your interest(s) too. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Because of how this year has gone with him in control of the OL recruiting.  Plus he’s been a major factor in seven of our commitments in the class.  He’s been big on the recruiting trail in a very short time for us.

I was talking about the i think he can get us bigger fish part of your statement. Not saying he wont, but was curious what makes you think he will. I'm up for some optimism, I just haven't seen or heard anything indicating he will. 

Amusing that almost no one has mentioned QB recruiting this year.   Our staff is very happy with our QB commit but  Quarterback position has the lowest composite rating by far of our commitments by position. Since all our current QBs are freshmen (True or RS)  it's not surprising that we haven't received a lot of attention from big time QB recruits.  High profile QBs won't admit it of course  but few if any want to redshirt,  practice with scout team or sit on the bench for a year. They don't fear fair competition but competing against three experienced sophomore 4 or 5 star QBs  would be a little more challenging than I would like.

44 minutes ago, autan said:

Amusing that almost no one has mentioned QB recruiting this year.   Our staff is very happy with our QB commit but  Quarterback position has the lowest composite rating by far of our commitments by position. Since all our current QBs are freshmen (True or RS)  it's not surprising that we haven't received a lot of attention from big time QB recruits.  High profile QBs won't admit it of course  but few if any want to redshirt,  practice with scout team or sit on the bench for a year. They don't fear fair competition but competing against three experienced sophomore 4 or 5 star QBs  would be a little more challenging than I would like.

Hayes King would’ve made this offensive class look scary good. 

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

I was talking about the i think he can get us bigger fish part of your statement. Not saying he wont, but was curious what makes you think he will. I'm up for some optimism, I just haven't seen or heard anything indicating he will. 

For him to put together this OL class, which is solid to above average, in about 7 months on the job is damn strong. Usually takes quite a bit longer than that. When he has more time to build relationships with the bigger fish I expect him to land some since relationships are the key in most recruitments.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For him to put together this OL class, which is solid to above average, in about 7 months on the job is damn strong. Usually takes quite a bit longer than that. When he has more time to build relationships with the bigger fish I expect him to land some since relationships are the key in most recruitments.

Gotcha. I certainly hope you're right. We need some elite run blocking lineman to compete with the top tier sec teams. Especially with Gus's style of offense. 

3 hours ago, AUinGA44 said:

Hayes King would’ve made this offensive class look scary good. 

Man, you're so right! That kid is the definition of "gamer".  He is so  smooth running and passing. I think we could've had him too. I'm not sure why we trailed off at the end.

I think we all knew King would become an Aggie.  Perfect spot for him to land with Mond moving on I'm sure to the next level.  But you're right. He was the best QB to give us a look in the "20 class.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Elements of this will be summed in various threads in the coming days.

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

No clue on where this is going. Not much chatter from Vol or SC sites & apparently AU is trying to decide if they want to push for him or not.

25 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No clue on where this is going. Not much chatter from Vol or SC sites & apparently AU is trying to decide if they want to push for him or not.

What position is he being recruited at?

12 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What position is he being recruited at?

Was LB. If we take him now it would be as an offensive ATH.

Is this the kid from reeltown? I know Charles really wants us to take him!!! Lol

32 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is this the kid from reeltown? I know Charles really wants us to take him!!! Lol

Yes. Who's Charles?

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes. Who's Charles?

Charles from reeltown.

I hope we wind up with this kid. He's an athlete.  It might take 2 years to add the weight he will need, but I think it will be worth the wait.

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was looking for my brothers 247 ranking and saw we lead for the top 3 football prospects in the ‘21 class, these 3 being the only 5 stars so far

thats wild to me 

We've led for top 3 in state prospects before only to land 1 or none.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We've led for top 3 in state prospects before only to land 1 or none.

Well one of them seems to also be an elite in state basketball prospect so maybe if we offer him a spot in both...

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was looking for my brothers 247 ranking and saw we lead for the top 3 football prospects in the ‘21 class, these 3 being the only 5 stars so far

thats wild to me 

We lead for the top 4 prospects in the state of Alabama according to 247 as of 8/14/2019. (Lead as in we are the CB favorite or they are committed).

image.png

Archived