2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

TE seems like a fit to me too. He has the height.  I'd rather have an athlete needing to add muscle than a guy who has the size needing a little more athleticism. Anyway, he's an interesting recruit, and I hope we land him. Seems like a great kid.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, ellitor said:

Agreed on your assessment of him but as of now the staff likes him as an LB & we are done at LB for now unless we can get Webb or the kid who just reclassified to 2020 from 2021. Now if Pegues grows into a DL which is very possible , we could take him as a TE eventually.

That’s what I see Shaw as. Either an OLB or TE. Usually when a guy is an ATH I personally like to see them on the defensive side of the ball

3 Auburn commits on Butkus High School Award Watch List

By Keith Niebuhr
9308748.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Wesley Steiner will be a Tiger. (Photo: Keith Niebuhr , 247Sports)

Three Auburn Tigers football commits have been named to the 2019 Dick Butkus High School Award Watch List. The award is given to the top linebacker in high school football and is named after the NFL and college legend.

Those players are Cameron Riley of Evergreen (Ala.) Hillcrest, Trenton Simpson of Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek and Wesley Steiner of Warner Robbins (Ga.) Houston County.

Fifty-one players made the list.

The Butkus High School Award has been around since 2008. The Butkus Award originally was created in 1985. It later was expanded to honor linebackers at all three levels -- high school, collegiate and professionally -- in 2008. The Butkus Award is presented by the Butkus Foundation.

You can find the complete list of high school players on the list HERE.

-Riley, a 4-star recruit, is the No. 23 outside linebacker in the country. He committed to Tigers on June 15. He is one of the top rising seniors in the state of Alabama.

-Simpson, the No. 52 recruit in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, is the highest-ranked player on the Auburn commit list. He committed to the Tigers in June and chose Auburn over Georgia and North Carolina. His choice of the Tigers surprised many.

-Steiner, another 4-star recruit, also is a top-100 prospect. He won the Football Rating Championship at The Opening Finals earlier this summer. The 5-feet-11.5, 220-pound Steiner is the No. 5 athlete and No. 72 overall recruit nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite. He projects at inside backer in college. Steiner produced a 4.51-second 40-yard dash, 40.2-inch vertical jump, 4.00 short shuttle and 42.5-foot powerball throwat The Opening.

Another prospect of note also made the watch list. That's 4-star outside backer/buck Phillip Webb of Sugar Hill (Ga.) Lanier. Auburn is among the top contenders in his recruitment.

Semifinalists for the award will be named on Nov 4. Finalists will be announced on Nov. 25. The winner will be announced on or before Dec. 10.

Overall, one could argue the linebackers are the strength of the Auburn recruiting class. To say the least, it has been an impressive haul this cycle by linebackers coach Travis Williams.

As we noted, Simpson is the headliner. Here's his 247Sports scouting report: "Has a high-cut build with wide shoulders and a developed lower body. Already well-put together heading into his senior season. Possesses very nice length with long arms. His ultimate size remains to be seen, but it’s not out of the question he could grow into an edge player at the next level. Highly athletic and tests well in a combine setting. Initially began his high school career as a running back before playing linebacker in addition to carrying the ball. Has a long stride and runs with explosion and fluidity on both sides of the ball. Excels as a blitzer off the edge. Uses his high-end first-step quickness to blow by offensive linemen off the snap and closes quickly. Has shown a desirable level of physicality both on the field and in camp settings, showing strong hands. Embraces contact on both sides of the ball. Fluidity and flexibility is evident in his forward lean and low pad level as a running back. Is battle-tested playing at a top level of competition for one of North Carolina’s top high school programs. Scheme versatile as a defender and could develop into a blue-chip pass rusher depending on how he fills out. Projects as a multi-year starter with the upside of developing into an all-American candidate and early round NFL Draft pick."

So far this is looking like a great class we have hit homeruns on LB and WR and this is best O-Line class in a long time. We have signed a QB that appears to have upside that at worst will provides us depth. We still have areas of concern only one DL so far but seem to be in good position with some and Garner always seems to finish strong. DB is definitely an area of concern none signed so far and this is a weak year for DB's especially for Safety. No RB at this time but with the ones we have and the fact that many are freshman, sophomores we only need one and are working hard on a few. 

I am not a big * guy I understand their importance and of course would love all our players to be 4* and 5* but I also look at how the players fit our needs and I also trust the coaches player reviews. Our needs were great at LB and we hit it, The same in O-line and we are still trying to get 1 or 2 more,  WR seems like we got more than we can use unless there is a true shift in our Offensive philosophy they are all great players but I don't see the need for the numbers that we have committed.  I am really worried about the DB's and mildly worried about D-Line. 

34 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am not a big * guy I understand their importance and of course would love all our players to be 4* and 5* but I also look at how the players fit our needs and I also trust the coaches player reviews.

This staff has earned my trust, also, when it comes to identifying and evaluating the less highly recruited guys. There's at least one in every class that I get really excited about, and a lot of the sub-4* guys we get commitments from are 4*s by signing day. 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

WR seems like we got more than we can use unless there is a true shift in our Offensive philosophy they are all great players but I don't see the need for the numbers that we have committed

Yeah. We better be going to more 4 WR sets. We will have 12 WRs on roster for the 2020 season & 10 barring attrition in 2021 if we don't sign any in the 2021 class. There's no point having that many if we are running mostly 2 & 3 WR sets.

51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah. We better be going to more 4 WR sets. We will have 12 WRs on roster for the 2020 season & 10 barring attrition in 2021 if we don't sign any in the 2021 class. There's no point having that many if we are running mostly 2 & 3 WR sets.

You know what's even harder than defending 3 guys running downfield in a straight line?

(sarcasm, sorta)

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You know what's even harder than defending 3 guys running downfield in a straight line?

I actually got that one without the assist but appreciate it anyway.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

4* Safety committed to Ole Miss

If he plays like another Reed, sign him up!

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If he plays like another Reed, sign him up!

Plus he knows it’s Auburn University.😄

What's going on with secondary recruiting this year? It's nearly August and we have no commits at corner or safety (and we've already lost one of the four 2019 DB signees). 

Carlton Davis was drafted in the second round in 2018 and Jamel Dean went in the third round this year. Javaris Davis will likely continue the streak next year. I'm perplexed as to why the recruiting doesn't seem to have gotten a boost from the recent uptick in draft success. 

Is it just a matter of McGriff needing a little time to catch up? Fewer in-state prospects this year? 

(Maybe this should be merged with the general 2020 recruiting thread, but I thought it might be worth a separate discussion). 

1 hour ago, Sani-Freeze said:

What's going on with secondary recruiting this year?

@Sani-Freeze covered many times in various threads. This is a down year for DB talent in the class. If Woodson & Crime Dog find 2 CBs & 2 Safeties from the high school level they like & can land they will have done some yoman's work. Otherwise we are looking at Grad transfers down the line to fill the needs of the class.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

@Sani-Freeze covered many times in various threads. This is a down year for DB talent in the class. If Woodson & Crime Dog find 2 CBs & 2 Safeties from the high school level they like & can land they will have done some yoman's work. Otherwise we are looking at Grad transfers down the line to fill the needs of the class.

Sure would have been nice to have Booth rn.

IMG_1942.GIF

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

That may be part of it, but it doesn't fully explain why there are no secondary commits to date given the available playing time in 20 and beyond (and why the draft hasn't given the corner position an early boost). A quick check of our rivals shows they all have 2-4 DBs committed in the 2020 class already (LSU has three 4-stars and a 5-star per Rivals). It will sort out in the end (it usually does) - but this particular position group just stood out to me as a little odd as it stands right now. Maybe Greg Brown leaving had something to do with it. 

That may be part of it, but it doesn't fully explain why there are no secondary commits to date given the available playing time in 20 and beyond (and why the draft hasn't given the corner position an early boost)

How a team does at a position in the draft doesn't necessarily translate to that team getting commits at that position for the initial class within a few months after the draft, nor should that be an expectation. Also because early PT is available it doesn't mean kids will commit earlier to a school. With all the transferring going on most teams have early PT available. Kids will commit on their own time. EEs don't have to commit til January (although most do by December) & the rest don't usually sign in February if they haven't already.

A quick check of our rivals shows they all have 2-4 DBs committed in the 2020 class already (LSU has three 4-stars and a 5-star per Rivals).

I'm no worried about our rivals or who's on their board but of the small number of kids we are willing to take they just aren't ready to commit yet & that's fine.

2 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Maybe Greg Brown leaving had something to do with it. 

Nope. Great evaluator, which was invaluable, but once he identified guys then we sent Woodson on the hunt to do the recruiting.

41 minutes ago, ellitor said:

How a team does at a position in the draft doesn't necessarily translate to that team getting commits at that position for the initial class within a few months after the draft, nor should that be an expectation. Also because early PT is available it doesn't mean kids will commit earlier to a school. With all the transferring going on most teams have early PT available. Kids will commit on their own time. EEs don't have to commit til January (although most do by December) & the rest don't usually sign in February if they haven't already.

I'm no worried about our rivals or who's on their board but of the small number of kids we are willing to take they just aren't ready to commit yet & that's fine.

Nope. Great evaluator, which was invaluable, but once he identified guys then we sent Woodson on the hunt to do the recruiting.

We're also after a few 4* CBs and a couple 4* safeties right now that have us pretty high on their list (Pouncey, Dennis, Tennison, and Thompson Jr.). Sidney Williams (3* DB) also likes us a lot too. We're in on some good ones, just got to reel a few in.

1 hour ago, Roos said:

Any news on the the B-B-Que this weekend? 

List don't come out til the day before an event often times. The event is Saturday.

Archived