Null



Sign in to follow this  
ellitor

2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 9/11/19)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, AURex said:

Let me know when Gus  has a better recruiting class than Bama, UGA, LSU, UF

We beat Florida often since Urban left & are beating them again this year in rating per recruit.

7 hours ago, AURex said:

Let me know when he lands a top tier OL prospect, even ONE

Umm we have the # 1 juco OT committed & as long as he stays there he will be a 4* when juco ratings are updated. Calvin Ashley 5* OT 2017. Unfortunately it didn't work out with him. Nick Brahms & Austin Troxell were also big time gets from that class. Braden Smith #3 OG from the 2014 class. That's 5 although yes it needs to be more.

7 hours ago, AURex said:

And let me know when people on this board start posting accolades about "WOW, Gus can really coach em up!"

That's fair & has been his bigger problem outside of recruiting the OL.

7 hours ago, AURex said:

It ain't happening. Gus band wagon? Nope!

You do realize people providing counterpoints to your posts aren't necessarily on the Gus bandwagon right? I & GWill sure as heck aren't.

7 hours ago, AURex said:

And for those who say that I've been critical about recruiting in the past, I'll just point at our W-L record.

Outside of OL recruiting that's more a function of talent retention & offensive talent usage & development than poor recruiting.

7 hours ago, AURex said:

Let me know when I'm wrong.

I have & will continue to do so when you rant mindlessly.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




AU has been recruiting talent at a super high level for several years. At, or just out of the top 10 level. Unfortunately Bama, and now UGA are stockpiling talent at unprecedented rates. On the other hand, Oklahoma and Clemson do not have annual top 5 classes. They are proof to me that top 10 level can consistently compete for championships, with great coaching and development. But Auburn’s challenges are less about recruiting rankings, and more about schedule. Having to play more top 10 schools in a season, than some teams play over 3-4 seasons takes a toll. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Oklahoma and Clemson do not have annual top 5 classes

Incorrect on Clemson. Total points wise yes but rating per recruit, which is the more important number, they are consistently in the top 5. They just don't typically take as many recruits each year as other teams & that's why their total points haven't been in the top 5. Also Clemson was #6 last year in team talent on roster & I expect that ranking to go up when this year's rankings come out.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

They are proof to me that top 10 level can consistently compete for championships, with great coaching and development, & being in weaker conferences.

FIFY

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

But Auburn’s challenges are less about recruiting rankings, and more about schedule. Having to play more top 10 schools in a season, than some teams play over 3-4 seasons takes a toll. 

Agree it's a factor but we still have to do better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so can someone explain this official offer vs a committable offer? 

So the offers we give out before their senior season are "committable" but not "official?" 

Ive just never seen this before... But have today seen multiple people on twitter say that they have received their "official" offer from Auburn, even some who have been committed to us for around a year or so. Like this 👇

 

Edited by Auburn2Eugene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ok so can someone explain this official offer vs a committable offer?

It's simply a NCAA procedural thing. Written official offers can't go out to SRs til August 1st. Before then teams can & do give verbal commitable offers.

12 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So the offers we give out before their senior season are "committable" but not "official?" 

Technically yes but as I implied above it's a moot difference.

13 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Ive just never seen this before

It's happened every August 1st each of the last 2 or 3 seasons at minimum if not longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with Auburn’s increasing ability to recruit skill position, the two groups that should lead to them being in that rarerified top 5 is OL and RB. RB ratings will and has improved under Cadillac, presumably OL will too (I hope) 

ratings aren’t all that matter at either position but if we’re just talking numbers that’d be ideal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's happened every August 1st each of the last 2 or 3 seasons at minimum if not longer.

Gotcha. Ive not been into recruiting as much the last couple of years. The Justyn Ross recruitment just put too much to me. I kinda checked out on recruiting after that. Ill pop in every now and then but its almost nil compared to pre Justyn Ross to Clemson. 

Thanks E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think with Auburn’s increasing ability to recruit skill position, the two groups that should lead to them being in that rarerified top 5 is OL and RB. RB ratings will and has improved under Cadillac, presumably OL will too (I hope) 

ratings aren’t all that matter at either position but if we’re just talking numbers that’d be ideal 

What do you mean? We don’t have any RB commits yet. Not in 2020 at least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

What do you mean? We don’t have any RB commits yet. Not in 2020 at least

He landed us Armoni Goodwin in the 2021 class. He is the #2 RB in his class & top 50 overall, close to being a 5*. He's also reportedly put us in the lead for Tank in this class who is also very close to being a 5*.

It's a strange day when I understand DTR's posts while others don't.

ETA: Sorry for stealing Bird's "like" @Sizzle.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sizzle said:

What do you mean? We don’t have any RB commits yet. Not in 2020 at least

Ellitor explained it but to expand on it, we really don't need to worry about 2020 RB recruiting, especially when we're already having the gymnastics trying to figure out how to keep the current RB crop together. Plus Cadillac was very important in wrapping up MAR and DJ's recruitment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Ellitor explained it but to expand on it, we really don't need to worry about 2020 RB recruiting, especially when we're already having the gymnastics trying to figure out how to keep the current RB crop together. Plus Cadillac was very important in wrapping up MAR and DJ's recruitment 

They should worry about 2020 though. Even if we have nice depth at RB you should still aim to bring in another guy(s). I’m not clapping for Caddy just yet. It’s a difference for guys to be interested and actually getting guys committed and signed. Auburn’s never had problems getting players interested. Closing the deal is another story with RB’s 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SEC Recruiting ---

Bama - #1
LSU - #2
UGA - #3
A&M - #4
UF - #5
AU - #6 and way behind

I have NEVER criticized our recruits. But I have said that Gus needs to step up his recruiting if he intends to compete at the top level consistently.

All you need to do is look at Auburn's record under Gus against these teams to see that AU just is not recruiting at a level necessary, especially in positions of need.

Sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, but that's the way I see it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

They should worry about 2020 though. Even if we have nice depth at RB you should still aim to bring in another guy(s). I’m not clapping for Caddy just yet. It’s a difference for guys to be interested and actually getting guys committed and signed. Auburn’s never had problems getting players interested. Closing the deal is another story with RB’s 

 And again he’s already gotten Goodwin committed for next year and per report has us in the lead for Tank. What Caddy has done on the recruiting trail in a little over half a year is indeed worth clapping. Yes he still has to finish the deal but us being in the lead right now for Tank means he is out recruiting arguably the best recruiter in the nation in Dell McGee. That is not something to be taken lightly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused how people couldn't be impressed with Caddy's recruiting.

 

He sealed the deal with DJ and MAR last cycle. Both would have gone elsewhere if they didn't buy what he was selling. 

He has us very much in the game for and the reported leader in Tanks recruitment this cycle. Tank could finish with a monster season and end up a 5*.  This cycle

He has already obtained a commitment from the #2 RB in the next class who happens to be an in state guy.

What's not to like so far? What else do you want from him?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AURex said:

SEC Recruiting ---

Bama - #1
LSU - #2
UGA - #3
A&M - #4
UF - #5
AU - #6 and way behind

& again, you are looking at total score instead of rating per recruit which is the more important number. In that important statistic we are #5 right behind Texas A&M & ahead of Florida. The only reason Florida has more total points right now is because they have 3 more commits right now. When we get more of ours we will pass Florida in total points. We have a good shot of getting at least 3 commits this month. We will pass both Florida & Texas A&M then.

1 hour ago, AURex said:

I have said that Gus needs to step up his recruiting if he intends to compete at the top level consistently.

You do realize that recruiting in the Gus era has been far superior to recruiting under any other coach in the last 20 years right? 5 top 10 classes in a row nationally from 2013-2017 & 2 more in the top 12 in 18 & 19. Tubbs & Chiz didn't recruit at that level consistently.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

All you need to do is look at Auburn's record under Gus against these teams to see that AU just is not recruiting at a level necessary, especially in positions of need.

Not necessarily. As I stated earlier, outside of OL recruiting the bigger problems have been talent retention, roster management, & offensive skill talent usage. If we were good in those areas we would hold our own well against those teams.

2 hours ago, AURex said:

Sorry if you don't like what I'm saying, but that's the way I see it.

Not a matter of liking or disliking what you are saying. Just showing you the facts & hoping you'll see them at some point.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Both would have gone elsewhere if they didn't buy what he was selling. 

Incorrect. Had we kept Horton we still would have landed them. Horton was particularly huge with DJ.

10 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

He has us very much in the game for and the reported leader in Tanks recruitment this cycle. Tank could finish with a monster season and end up a 5*.  This cycle

He has already obtained a commitment from the #2 RB in the next class who happens to be an in state guy.

What's not to like so far? What else do you want from him?

tenor.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Incorrect. Had we kept Horton we still would have landed them. Horton was particularly huge with DJ.

You are absolutely correct, but my point was that if MAR and DJ didn't buy what Caddy was selling (since he was the newly hired RB coach when they signed) they would have gone elsewhere, I wasn't saying he "got" them but he sure sealed the deal with them. 

Edited by Auburn2Eugene
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are absolutely correct, but my point was that if MAR and DJ didn't buy what Caddy was selling (since he was the newly hired RB coach when they signed) they would have gone elsewhere, I wasn't saying he "got" them but he sure sealed the deal with them. 

That's fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

They should worry about 2020 though. Even if we have nice depth at RB you should still aim to bring in another guy(s). I’m not clapping for Caddy just yet. It’s a difference for guys to be interested and actually getting guys committed and signed. Auburn’s never had problems getting players interested. Closing the deal is another story with RB’s 

As I said, he closed the deal with two guys that were interested. MAR and DJ didn’t commit until the NSD, who do you think was closing the deal with them? You’re completely avoiding the Armoni commitment, intentionally Id think. We haven’t gotten a guy of his caliber since....and being ahead for Tank, this early, is a more impressive job than the previous regime had for any other RB. You’re not clapping the guy up because you don’t wanna see what’s in front of you. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that we’re top 2 with a guy who can’t possibly get freshman burn with who we currently have...Horton couldn’t even get guys like him to sign when we needed them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

who do you think was closing the deal with them?

Barring Bama coming after DJ on NSD the deal was already pretty much closed on them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Are you saying it was closed before Cadillac joined?

DJ Williams signed with Auburn on December 19, 2018. Cadillac did not join the staff until late January 2019.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

L

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

 And again he’s already gotten Goodwin committed for next year and per report has us in the lead for Tank. What Caddy has done on the recruiting trail in a little over half a year is indeed worth clapping. Yes he still has to finish the deal but us being in the lead right now for Tank means he is out recruiting arguably the best recruiter in the nation in Dell McGee. That is not something to be taken lightly.

Yeah it’s impressive but I just care about him closing the deal and what he can do as a coach. All I’m saying is even Horton got interest but we see he’s not here anymore. And I’m not intentionally skipping over Goodwin but I don’t care when recruits commit that early because too much can happen in 2 years

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

As I said, he closed the deal with two guys that were interested. MAR and DJ didn’t commit until the NSD, who do you think was closing the deal with them? You’re completely avoiding the Armoni commitment, intentionally Id think. We haven’t gotten a guy of his caliber since....and being ahead for Tank, this early, is a more impressive job than the previous regime had for any other RB. You’re not clapping the guy up because you don’t wanna see what’s in front of you. 

I’m not clapping because I feel like Horton did most of the work but Caddy did finish I’ll give him that. When I see who we’ve got on signing day then I’ll clap for him. None of this matters if they don’t sign with us 

Edited by Sizzle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this