2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

3 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

That can't be right, right? No way CGM can hire coaches who recruit top ten classes almost every year he has been the head coach! No way he has recruited top tier talent at almost every position,  including the current 1a and 1b QB fighting for a starting job. As long as our players believe in CGM so will I. Hate me, love me I really don't care. Now I will say my patience is wearing thin but I still hold on to hope.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

That can't be right, right? No way CGM can hire coaches who recruit top ten classes almost every year he has been the head coach! No way he has recruited top tier talent at almost every position,  including the current 1a and 1b QB fighting for a starting job. As long as our players believe in CGM so will I. Hate me, love me I really don't care. Now I will say my patience is wearing thin but I still hold on to hope.

I love what we've done recruiting wise since Gus took over but it also adds to my frustrations too with the overall product and records.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I love what we've done recruiting wise since Gus took over but it also adds to my frustrations too with the overall product and records.

I agree. But I am optimistic 

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

Recruiting for need has been his biggest issue with recruiting. 

Seeing how recruiting has picked up, I'm starting to gain more confidence in Malzahn. If he's allowed to just do his thing I think we're in for many good years of Auburn Football. Mark my words 😉

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

A51

Area 51? Y'all boys getting ready for the raid?!

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

Yes, we are excited now but in the back of our heads we know this can all be for naught.

I was pumped when we started pulling in the great O-Line class with a good combination of JUCO to help in 2020 and some Freshman to develop. I loved the WR class but I really need to see a different Offensive philosophy to understand the numbers. With the 2 TE's last year and looking really good for a top TE this year and now news that Tank is coming I think we have hit every need on the O side both in quantity and quality. 

As far as I am concerned we hit a homerun with the linebackers and this weekend  we had two great DB's join the class. To be honest DB's with this being a down year really had me worried. These two plus the others that we are looking good on and I am coming close to becoming a sunshine pumper on this class. 

We still only have 1 D-Line we still need the TE and we need to close on Tank and 2 or 3 more DB's but right now Auburn's Recruiting glass is 3/4 full.  I would worry about D-Line but every year at this time we don't show much on D-Line but then Garner does his magic. Our coaches have really put in the work and deserve some accolades.  

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was pumped when we started pulling in the great O-Line class with a good combination of JUCO to help in 2020 and some Freshman to develop. I loved the WR class but I really need to see a different Offensive philosophy to understand the numbers. With the 2 TE's last year and looking really good for a top TE this year and now news that Tank is coming I think we have hit every need on the O side both in quantity and quality. 

As far as I am concerned we hit a homerun with the linebackers and this weekend  we had two great DB's join the class. To be honest DB's with this being a down year really had me worried. These two plus the others that we are looking good on and I am coming close to becoming a sunshine pumper on this class. 

We still only have 1 D-Line we still need the TE and we need to close on Tank and 2 or 3 more DB's but right now Auburn's Recruiting glass is 3/4 full.  I would worry about D-Line but every year at this time we don't show much on D-Line but then Garner does his magic. Our coaches have really put in the work and deserve some accolades.  

If we can close as hoped and now that the glaring needs on OL have been addressed about as well as possible, and especially with our 2021 QB and RB1 locked down, it feels like we're in great shape going into 2021. No glaring, desperate needs at any one position group. I might be wrong about that but it seems like we're primed with a head start on a very balanced class where we won't have to go low on one position group to compensate for another. 

Really wanting Gus to figure it out this year so that we can keep this staff and all this young talent together. 

12 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I noticed our Nagasaurus Rex didn't come back out last night.

giphy.gif

This is only a theory and I have zero facts to back any of this up so take it with a grain of salt.  If I recall Rex had stated somewhere he is a writer for a living.  So it could be he is a writer for one of the news outlets and he is doing this intentionally to gauge the reaction of our fan-base at it's current moment.  Judging by his literary style, my guess would be al.com.

This is the recruiting forum & the 2020 class recruiting thread. Let's keep Gus's on field decisions & issues in the football forum unless those decisions are affecting recruiting. Right now it doesn't appear to be a factor with recruiting.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

DT is now the only concern for me.

4* TE/WR Maliq Carr tells Rivals he will OV AU on Sept 7th. Plans to commit October 11th. AU is in his top 5 with Michigan, UGA, Purdue, & Miami.

23 minutes ago, ellitor said:

4* TE/WR Maliq Carr tells Rivals he will OV AU on Sept 7th. Plans to commit October 11th. AU is in his top 5 with Michigan, UGA, Purdue, & Miami.

2020 guy? TE/WR? Huh. Don't let Sal show him around...

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

2020 guy?

Yes.

18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't let Sal show him around...

lol

I'm with you @bigbird, DT is the only concern left, assuming we close out with DB close the way it looks like we will and land Tank on Friday. 

Still, with McKinley Jackson, Omari Thomas, Jay Hardy, Jaden Hardy, and Damarjhe Lewis (kinda) all on the board, it seems like we'll find out way to two quality big bodies inside. Heck, Andy Boykin might be a SDE early with an eye toward DT as a So/Jr. If all the guys we've been flirting with were committed, I'd be more worried than I am, but it's still the biggest concern in this class at the moment.

What happened to Jeremiah Pegues? Have not heard a lot about him in awhile. Seems like he was on commit watch for awhile for a couple of months and just never pulled the trigger.

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What happened to Jeremiah Pegues? Have not heard a lot about him in awhile. Seems like he was on commit watch for awhile for a couple of months and just never pulled the trigger.

I believe he is still very much in the mix,   We are on Garner time imo.   Some big dogs walk late... still. 

9 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I believe he is still very much in the mix,   We are on Garner time imo.   Some big dogs walk late... still. 

O no doubt about that.  I def agree with that. I guess I never really considered him a big dog. Do you? He is a TE which has never been of that significance importance at AU under Gus and he is a low 4 star. Big Dogs to me is someone who is in the top 100-150.

49 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Seems like he was on commit watch for awhile for a couple of months and just never pulled the trigger.

Nope. We've led for a long time but he & reports have said most of the time he would be committing later in the cycle.

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I guess I never really considered him a big dog

Was considered a fairly big dog when he was 1st ranked. He was near a top 100 recruit & has steadily dropped since.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

He is a TE

He's around 280 lbs & could easily end up at DT.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He's around 280 lbs & could easily end up at DT.

This is what I was thinking would happen

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

This is the recruiting forum & the 2020 class recruiting thread. Let's keep Gus's on field decisions & issues in the football forum unless those decisions are affecting recruiting. Right now it doesn't appear to be a factor with recruiting.

I deleted my post. Sorry about that.

Archived