2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

1 hour ago, Roos said:

Since we are thin at DT, would the staff consider moving A Jackson or T Manning back to DT?

Unlikely. Both are going to compete to be starting OL next year. And we aren't that thin. We will have 4-5 on scholly plus whatever 2 we get in this class.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tend to agree. Any/all depth issues at DT this year have more to do with injuries than a dearth of numbers. If Newkirk and Miller were healthy, we wouldn't have any issue at DT,  and we'd comfortably have our five-man rotation. Instead, I expect to see a mix of Truesdell, Coe, Davidson, and Walker until Miller is healthy. I don't expect Newkirk to give us much this year. If Handy is really ready to contribute at DE (and it sounds like he may be), that frees us up even more to push Davidson and Coe inside for a good 30-40 snaps between them.

I expect Davidson and Coe to spend most of their snaps outside, but Moultry and Bryant are ready on the edges. If Handy is too, that's a great five-man rotation. That would allow anything we get from Hall, Wooden, or Moore (or Caleb Johnson) to be icing on the cake.

Assuming either Handy or Moore eventually land inside (and I expect one or both will eventually), we'll have four interior guys on the roster next year. We need two in this class. There are still a bunch of guys on the board, but it's a need.

No argument with any of that. Especially Moore and Handy. They both seem like candidates for inside/outside guys in the mold of Davidson and Coe, like you said, although at least one of them came in lighter than expected at ~255-260. But that's not a major concern at this point, and if that allows one of them as you say to give some help on the edge this season and then inside in later seasons, perfect. 

I'm optimistic that at least one of Hall and Wooden is destined for true production on the edge in the mold of Antonio Coleman, Hot Carter, Lemonier, Ford, Holland, etc. 

I like what some of y'all are saying about Pegues. Let's just get him in and figure that out later. 

With tank we are basically through on O except for TE and maybe one more O-line. It has been a great O class with us getting commitments that we need both for near future and down the road. On D we still need two more DB's and from what I have read we will get the two that we want. We hit it out of the ball park at LB so now we are waiting on how Garner finished us up on the D-Line.  I am one of the ones who keeps saying Garner always comes through late but I would feel much better if we could get a couple more commitments on D-Line in next two weeks.

We are all talking about who we will loose on D-Line this year because we have three guys who will probably go pro Brown, Davidson, and Coe [only a Jr. might stay but doubtful].

We have some younger guys who we will really need to see develop this year two who are currently hurt. and both at DT so I expect to see Handy get some PT at DT.

DT Coynis Miller - hurt 
DT Daquan Newkirk - hurt
DT Tyrone Truesdale
Buck Colby Wooden
Buck Derrick Hall
Buck TD Moultry
Buck/DE Big Cat Bryant
DE Caleb Johnson
DE/DT Jaren Handy
DE Charles Moore
Buck/DE/DT Nick Coe - Probably going pro

Most of these players were very good players out of HS but we really need this recruiting class to allow us to have the depth that we have used over last few years so that we can play 8-10 players per game. We have the potential to be a solid D-line next year but it is really hard for any team to replace a Brown, Davidson, Coe very few team put 3 D-line into pro ball in the same year.

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With tank we are basically through on O except for TE and maybe one more O-line. It has been a great O class with us getting commitments that we need both for near future and down the road. On D we still need two more DB's and from what I have read we will get the two that we want. We hit it out of the ball park at LB so now we are waiting on how Garner finished us up on the D-Line.  I am one of the ones who keeps saying Garner always comes through late but I would feel much better if we could get a couple more commitments on D-Line in next two weeks.

We are all talking about who we will loose on D-Line this year because we have three guys who will probably go pro Brown, Davidson, and Coe [only a Jr. might stay but doubtful].

We have some younger guys who we will really need to see develop this year two who are currently hurt. and both at DT so I expect to see Handy get some PT at DT.

DT Coynis Miller - hurt 
DT Daquan Newkirk - hurt
DT Tyrone Truesdale
Buck Colby Wooden
Buck Derrick Hall
Buck TD Moultry
Buck/DE Big Cat Bryant
DE Caleb Johnson
DE/DT Jaren Handy
DE Charles Moore
Buck/DE/DT Nick Coe - Probably going pro

Most of these players were very good players out of HS but we really need this recruiting class to allow us to have the depth that we have used over last few years so that we can play 8-10 players per game. We have the potential to be a solid D-line next year but it is really hard for any team to replace a Brown, Davidson, Coe very few team put 3 D-line into pro ball in the same year.

I'm sorry I dont see the o class being great due to o line.  Most of the guys were 3 stars not recruited by the likes Bama, UGA, Lsu, etc. Not one elite prospect. We are doing really well almost everywhere else in recruiting. This is what we are going to get until Gus hires a legit recruiter as o line coach. 

15 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I'm sorry I dont see the o class being great due to o line.  Most of the guys were 3 stars not recruited by the likes Bama, UGA, Lsu, etc. Not one elite prospect. We are doing really well almost everywhere else in recruiting. This is what we are going to get until Gus hires a legit recruiter as o line coach. 

Cohen had a legit offer from Bama/LSU. 

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Cohen had a legit offer from Bama/LSU. 

Yeah I think one guy out of how many, 5? Cohen did seem legit but i wouldnt say elite. 

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Yeah I think one guy out of how many, 5? Cohen did seem legit but i wouldnt say elite. 

I’m with you. Not a ton of elite this year but OL recruiting and evals are just difficult. I believe Cohen will be the best of the bunch for us when we look back. I’m biased just because I’ve watched him a ton over the years.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

I’m with you. Not a ton of elite this year but OL recruiting and evals are just difficult. I believe Cohen will be the best of the bunch for us when we look back. I’m biased just because I’ve watched him a ton over the years.

Yeah I agree. I think when he adds some weight he looks to have the frame to be a beast. 

3 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

@ellitor You said you had something in store for us all after Tank Committed if I remember correctly? Have i missed it>

@Tigerpro2a I said after our runs of commitments are over. We still have more likely coming soon.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I would feel much better if we could get a couple more commitments on D-Line in next two weeks.

@AuburnNTexas Not happening. No major DL targets plan to commit soon unless you count Ojulari as a DL. Gonna have to wait that one out.

9 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I expect to see Handy get some PT at DT.

Handy is expected to stay outside as a Strongside End. Moore is expected to move inside eventually.

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Most of the guys were 3 stars

The year ain't over yet. At least 4 OL have a good shot at ending up 4*s FWIW.

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

This is what we are going to get until Gus hires a legit recruiter as o line coach

If Dilly stays for a while I disagree. He's taken over OL recruiting for the most part & I think he can get us bigger fish.

12 hours ago, twilli13 said:

You do realize these kids have another season to play, right!

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

The year ain't over yet. At least 4 OL have a good shot at ending up 4*s FWIW.

I hope you're right on this.  We need some sure fire SEC level OL.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

If Dilly stays for a while I disagree. He's taken over OL recruiting for the most part & I think he can get us bigger fish.

What makes you come to this conclusion?

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

You do realize these kids have another season to play, right!

Not sure what you mean by this...their senior season of highschool? Is that what you're referring to? If so, you think all these guys are going to magically become solid to high 4 or 5 stars when they are 3 stars with offers from none of the top tier sec schools? 

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Not sure what you mean by this...their senior season of highschool? Is that what you're referring to? If so, you think all these guys are going to magically become solid to high 4 or 5 stars when they are 3 stars with offers from none of the top tier sec schools? 

A lot of kids improve during their Senior seasons and a lot don't.  I could see a couple of them improving their stock just based on the law of averages but it's far from a foregone conclusion.  It would be great if they did but anyone expecting a freshman, even a 4 star recruit, to contribute on the OL are kidding themselves.  Ideally they would all redshirt and be ready as RS Soph.

23 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

What makes you come to this conclusion?

Because of how this year has gone with him in control of the OL recruiting.  Plus he’s been a major factor in seven of our commitments in the class.  He’s been big on the recruiting trail in a very short time for us.

23 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

when they are 3 stars

FWIW 3 of them are high 3*s bordering on 4*. For example, If Big Z stays the #1 juco OT after Rivals & ESPN fully does their juco rankings then he will be a virtual lock to end as a 4*.

23 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It would be great if they did but anyone expecting a freshman, even a 4 star recruit, to contribute on the OL are kidding themselves.

That's why we have 2 jucos in the class. At least 1 is expected to be a starting OT next season if not both.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's why we have 2 jucos in the class. At least 1 is expected to be a starting OT next season if not both.

Of course.  I was simply discussing the freshman.

Mods or insiders- is the staff expected to pursue a second QB in this class at a later date? If so are there any names to look for as the staff evaluates them this season? Thanks

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Not all, but some. Most players improve their senior year, whether juco or high school, so it’s possible for all and probable for some! Other schools might come calling when they do.

29 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

Mods or insiders- is the staff expected to pursue a second QB in this class at a later date? If so are there any names to look for as the staff evaluates them this season? Thanks

Both TBD.

Archived