2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recruiting Insider: Quick hitters from the weekend

By Keith Niebuhr
9345982.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Five-star linebacker Trenton Simpson committed to Auburn in June. (Photo: Jason Caldwell/Inside The Auburn Tigers, 247Sports)

AUBURN, ALABAMA -- With Auburn not playing a marquee opponent this week (no offense to Kent State), it wasn't expected to have that great of a visitors list. But as it turns out, some big names and emerging targets were on hand Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Here are some quick recruiting nuggets from a weekend that was busier than expected ..

-Five-star linebacker commit Trenton Simpson of Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek was not expected to attend any games at Auburn until late in the season, but because his team played in South Carolina on Friday that got him a little bit closer to Auburn so he made the trip Saturday. We can confirm Simpson, the highest-ranked Tigers commit, stayed overnight. He spent much of his time after the game with Auburn linebacker K.J. Britt. With in-state North Carolina not giving up, it's significant any time Simpson visits. When will he back on campus? Probably in November for the games against Georgia and Alabama.

I know many here don’t care and we have a solid recruiting class right now but I’m bothered by our lack of 5 star talent.

Georgia has 3, Alabama 2, Texas A&M 3, and LSU 2.

We’re still in the running for 0 this year. Alabama is still in it for 5, Georgia 6, LSU 1, and TAMU 3.

All but one of our OL commits are 3* and before I get the “stars don’t mean everything” it’s just discouraging seeing the teams we’ll see every year out performing us.

We’re doing well I just think (looking at our peers) we could do a little better.

War Eagle.

I’m not a stars don’t mean anything guy, but on this one, I don’t really care. For me, the only 5-star guy that hurt to lose was Myles Murphy. We were so close there. He would’ve been a perfect fit and seems like a great kid. That hurt. 

Outside of that, I’d rather have Tank than any RB in the class. It’s total guesswork trying to split hairs between him and Zach Evans or other top guys. We’re landing the guys we’re targeting. 

On the OL, we needed Juco guys more than HS stars. That’s just where we were. We have the top two OT targets in Juco, according to our coaches. That’s as good as you can do when you need immediately contributors. Odd as it seems, that’s better than two five-star prospects, no matter what the Juco guys are ranked. 

See I don’t believe in the “could start right away” part. Seems like, for every Jonah Williams there’s a Calvin Ashley or Montez Ivey, who aren’t ready. In our spot, I’d rather have the Juco guys. 

10 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

See I don’t believe in the “could start right away” part. Seems like, for every Jonah Williams there’s a Calvin Ashley or Montez Ivey, who aren’t ready. In our spot, I’d rather have the Juco guys. 

You can say that in reverse, though. For every Calvin Ashley, there's a Jonah Williams. And we just went through a Calvin Ashley.

For the record, I'm buying this class. And I'm definitely high on them taking some less highly recruited guys early instead of waiting on big dogs that never walked our way. And the jucos are clutch. 

And I'm actually about to pivot hard. I just looked it up and there are only 2 5* OLs in this cycle, both tackles. One went to Ohio State and the other went to uga. I don't think any sane argument can be made that we "should" have landed either of those guys. So I'm going to take a big L here. 

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

I know many here don’t care and we have a solid recruiting class right now but I’m bothered by our lack of 5 star talent.

Georgia has 3, Alabama 2, Texas A&M 3, and LSU 2.

We’re still in the running for 0 this year. Alabama is still in it for 5, Georgia 6, LSU 1, and TAMU 3.

All but one of our OL commits are 3* and before I get the “stars don’t mean everything” it’s just discouraging seeing the teams we’ll see every year out performing us.

We’re doing well I just think (looking at our peers) we could do a little better.

War Eagle.

We average getting 1 to 2 5*s per year. We could have 0 as you said but we could also have 3 with Tank, Simpson, & Webb (uncommitted) all on the cusp of 5* status.

12 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

I’m not a stars don’t mean anything guy, but on this one, I don’t really care. For me, the only 5-star guy that hurt to lose was Myles Murphy. We were so close there. He would’ve been a perfect fit and seems like a great kid. That hurt. 

To this point Quan Robinson at the Buck with an AU pipeline to Jasckson-Olin hurt too. He's just barely off 5* status.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We average getting 1 to 2 5*s per year. We could have 0 as you said but we could also have 3 with Tank, Simpson, & Webb (uncommitted) all on the cusp of 5* status.

Any news on Webb lately? Did Oklahoma make a jump after his visit with them?

2 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Although the sting goes away if it helps us land Webb.

That's why I said to this point. We need a pass rusher for sure regardless.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Any news on Webb lately?

Still AU, Bama, LSU battle.

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Did Oklahoma make a jump after his visit with them?

Nope.

Crystal Ball trends for Auburn targets

By Keith Niebuhr
9323426.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Four-star OLB Phillip Webb is a top Auburn target. (Photo: 247Sports)

Auburn recruiting had a big summer and the momentum has continued into September.

Since Big Cat Weekend, which was June 1, the Tigers have landed 13 commitments and jumped up 22 spots to No. 7 in the 247Sports recruiting team rankings.

The summer/early fall blitz for the Tigers is par for the course in these parts.

In fact, just two cycles ago Auburn sat outside the top 50 in the rankings in late June before rallying. 

The 2020 Auburn class boasts a steller average rating per commit of 91.07 --- that's up from 88.54 on June 1 -- and well above the 90.00 threshold for a 4-star average. The good news for the Tigers? They still have room to land up to six more prospects.

Right now, the class ranks as the fourth best in the ultra-competitive Southeastern Conference. 

Yet, the Tigers still have needs to fill, particularly on the defensive line.

With the 247Sports Crystal Ball, media members predict where top recruits will land. Even though it's early in the cycle, today we take a look at what the chatter is about some top Auburn targets.

Pleased as punch with the LB recruiting in this class.

Pegues would be an excellent pickup at the TE/HB position.

Not really sold on Garnett but I suppose QB isn't an immediate need right now.

Still very excited about Tank and the receivers we've gotten.

Happy with the number of OL but skeptical of the quality of some.

DL is alarming and I hope it picks up considering how many guys we'll lose there this year including Moore. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Pleased as punch with the LB recruiting in this class.

Pegues would be an excellent pickup at the TE/HB position.

Not really sold on Garnett but I suppose QB isn't an immediate need right now.

Still very excited about Tank and the receivers we've gotten.

Happy with the number of OL but skeptical of the quality of some.

DL is alarming and I hope it picks up considering how many guys we'll lose there this year including Moore. 

I am wait and see on the O-line recruits. I agree about D-Line. What seems confusing is Garner has been putting D-Line into NFL and this year it looks like 3-4 more will go possible 1 or 2 in first or second round. With PT and a coach who puts you in the bigs I am surprised at lack of commits so far but hoping  for a late surge.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am wait and see on the O-line recruits. I agree about D-Line. What seems confusing is Garner has been putting D-Line into NFL and this year it looks like 3-4 more will go possible 1 or 2 in first or second round. With PT and a coach who puts you in the bigs I am surprised at lack of commits so far but hoping  for a late surge.

Yeah he typically doesn't surge until really late and I'm not sure why that is.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah he typically doesn't surge until really late and I'm not sure why that is.

I'd bet a good amount of money that Garner pulls in at least 2 of Phillip Webb (for a DE), Mckinnley Jackson, and Zykevious Walker. No insider info on that, just seems like Garner does this almost every year. He hangs around with these guys and pulls em in late.

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd bet a good amount of money that Garner pulls in at least 2 of Phillip Webb (for a DE), Mckinnley Jackson, and Zykevious Walker. No insider info on that, just seems like Garner does this almost every year. He hangs around with these guys and pulls em in late.

Yup. Always get the fans ruffled then closes with three hammers.

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

With PT and a coach who puts you in the bigs I am surprised at lack of commits so far but hoping  for a late surge.

Well we had a DT & a SDE committed that decommitted on their own that subsequently have fallen on our board since then. Had they stayed committed the staff would have stuck with them.

Archived