2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

Not sure I get it. A DT should not lead the team in tackles or really be very close at all. That should be LBs and Safeties. He leads his DL in tackles and looks like he leads his team in TFL.  What am I missing? Looks fine to me.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recruiting Buzz: Intel on 2 commits

By Keith Niebuhr
7592392.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs
Trenton Simpson. (Photo: Michael Clark, 247Sports)

In recent weeks, two of Auburn's most touted commitments -- 5-star linebacker Trenton Simpson and 4-star receiver Ze'Vian Capers -- have visited other schools. What does it mean? What are we hearing? Here's the latest ..

-Recently, Simpson, who committed to the Tigers in May, attended North Carolina's home game against Clemson, which the Tar Heels nearly won. North Carolina was the Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek's No. 2 school when he chose the Tigers and the Tar Heels have not stopped pursuing him. Simpson did not attend that game as a recruit. He apparently sat with fans in the stands -- not in the prospect section. That said, there was some concern at Auburn and we were told North Carolina thinks it has a shot. The visit, which was Sept 28, took place the same day 4-star linebacker Desmond Tisdol visited Auburn. The Tigers, having three linebackers committed, are almost certainly done at that position. It's our understanding Tisdol was not personally invited to the Auburn game by the coaches; he asked if he could attend the game and they said he could. In any event, we're told Auburn's communications with Simpson have again increased in the past couple weeks and that has erased some of its concerns. Intel suggests the Tigers feel good at this time about keeping him in the class. Apparently, both Simpson and his parents remain high on Auburn. Nonetheless, this is something we'll continue to monitor. Simpson will sign in December and is an early enrollee. He's a hugely important recruit.

-Capers, who is having a big senior season at Alpharetta (Ga.) Denmark, got a visit from Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and receivers coach Kodi Burns last Friday. The next day, he attended the Georgia-South Carolina game in Athens, Ga. According to Capers' teammate, 2021 Auburn quarterback commit Aaron McLaughlin, Capers "went to the UGA game with our running back because he asked him to go. UGA invited all of us but hadn’t offered a single one so I think it was just a mass invite thing because I got the invite from the official UGA football account not a coach." We are told the Auburn staff knew about the visit and isn't overly concerned. We’ve heard nothing to suggest he’s wavering -- and to our knowledge the Bulldogs haven't offered. That said, given Capers is playing so well, one source told us they wouldn't be surprised if the Bulldogs would push for Capers at some point. We'll keep you posted should anything change.

20 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

4* S Ladarius Tennison - AU may lead Miami & Gators. Former Miami commit "

He committed 5 weeks ago.

@IronMan70 Sorry. I've had a busy life lately, working a lot of overnight shifts. The OP will not be updated often. Thanks for the heads up!

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I know commits flip flop but he still seems like he’s with us

I don't seem to speak twitter. Who is saying what in your post?

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't seem to speak twitter. Who is saying what in your post?

Javion Cohen is saying expect one of the guys playing in the HOF world bowl game to commit to Auburn

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

15 tackles for loss in a season is impressive.  at the half way point is crazy.  Sign this kid up!

And 10 sacks too if I’m not mistaken.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:
1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

15 tackles for loss in a season is impressive.  at the half way point is crazy.  Sign this kid up!

And 10 sacks too if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah I didn't know if 10 of the 15 were sacks or not.  But yes if that is 25 tackles in the backfield then sign this joker up

Figured I'd share

https://www.collegeandmagnolia.com/2019/10/24/20929243/2020-auburn-football-recruiting-trenton-simpson-princely-umanmielen-decommit

Auburn Football Recruiting: Tigers Lose Top Ranked Commit

By AUNerd @AUSportsNerd Oct 24, 2019, 10:00am CDT

It was a good weekend for Auburn football until it wasn’t. On Saturday, Auburn dismantled a woeful Arkansas squad. On Sunday, their top ranked commit announced his decommitment.

I wrote after Auburn’s home victory over Mississippi State that 4* LB Trenton Simpson’s recruitment was one to watch. Instead of making the trek west to the Plains, Simpson elected to stay closer to home and watch the Tar Heels almost knock off formerly top ranked Clemson. That was a red flag but there was still confidence Auburn could hang onto the talented backer due to his connection with Travis Williams and childhood fandom of the Tigers. But Mack Brown is making some big moves on the trail, specifically amongst top instate talent, recently landing 5* DE Desmond Evans who is the #1 player in the state of North Carolina. Now he appears to be closing in on the state’s #2 ranked prospect.

For Auburn, this is obviously a huge blow. Simpson is an elite prospect who had a chance to make an impact day one next season for the Tigers. He’s also the 3rd top 100 linebacker to decommit from Auburn this cycle joining now Bama commits Quandarrius Robinson and Demouy Kennedy. Travis Williams is undoubtedly an outstanding recruiter who is still poised to bring in a very talented linebacker class but it’s hard not to be a bit disappointed losing so many elite prospects especially considering AU will have to face all three next season.

The good news is Auburn has a very clear contingency plan. 4* LB Desmond Tidsol was close to committing to Auburn in the summer but was beat to the punch by 4* LB Wesley Steiner. He was very aware of the big news Sunday night.

T-WILL has always wanted to add the hard hitting Georgia native in this class but has been limited by spots. Simpson’s departure opens up a spot for Tisdol and I fully expect Auburn to make a strong push in the coming weeks. I think it’s likely Auburn will stay after Simpson but I don’t see them waiting in hopes of convincing the former commit to jump back on board. Instead, go fill that spot as quickly as possible with a blue chip player who wants to be a Tiger.

One final note on Simpson. This is pure speculation on my part but I think this decommit is a very good example of the problems Auburn’s schedule has had on the Tigers’ recruiting efforts. Only one meaningful home game early in the schedule has made it extremely difficult to get kids on campus. Auburn never really had a chance to slow UNC’s momentum by getting Simpson inside Jordan-Hare. Maybe it would not have mattered but it sure wouldn’t have hurt...

Decommit To Watch:

There was a 2nd decommit of note this week but one that should make Auburn fans happier. After taking down Texas A&M in College Station, Auburn put out a very interesting offer to Texas commit 4* DL Princely Umanmielen. Given he’s from Manor, TX which is only an hour at worst from UT’s campus and was committed to the Longhorns, the move seemed peculiar. Not anymore...

Umanmielen took an official visit to Norman, OK in late September but it’s not the Sooners that are thought to be the top contenders but the Tigers and Aggies. It’s very likely he will take an official visit to the Plains at some point before early signing day. Could Auburn be close to stealing a 2nd blue chip defender from the state of Texas from the Horns?

Never count out Rodney Garner.

Finally, the biggest shocker of the 2020 recruiting cycle went down yesterday evening when 5* TE Arik Gilbert announced his commitment to LSU. For pretty much all of his recruitment this was thought to be an Alabama vs UGA battle with the Tide expected to come out on top. But LSU’s new look passing attack and Gilbert’s desire to be used more as a hybrid WR/TE than a standard inline blocker turned this to Ed O’s favor. No one saw this coming, not even the LSU folks but it’s an absolutely huge win for the Bayou Bengals who are putting together one of the best classes in the 2020 cycle.

But this commitment could have negative ramifications for Auburn. For much of the 2020 cycle, Auburn’s focus at tight end has been on 4* J.J. Pegues. Most have seen this as an Auburn-Ole Miss battle but there has always been a 3rd threat lurking in the background - the Crimson Tide. Pegues listed Alabama in his top 3 earlier this fall but the consensus among recruiting experts was that Gilbert would sign with Alabama leaving no room for Pegues.

Things have changed. Alabama will undoubtedly go after top 100 prospects 5* Darnell Washington and 4* Theo Johnson but they have some serious work to do if they want to win those battles. That means it’s likely they turn the heat up on Pegues which could be bad news for Auburn. As of today, I still think he ends up in the Tigers’ class but now Auburn must fight off not only the instate rebels but Nick Saban’s Tide as well.

War Eagle!

The three top 100 linebackers thing sucks a fat egg. I like the guys we have but dang.

Umanmielen would be a great steal by Garner. Our DL the last few years should make it easy to recruit.

Wish we could get Pegues to commit already. The kid is awesome and I'd hate to lose him.

17 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Yeah I didn't know if 10 of the 15 were sacks or not.

Lol. It was in the 1st graphic of the video.

17 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

if that is 25 tackles in the backfield then sign this joker up

It's still 15. It's the 10 sacks plus 5 other TFLs.

Another name to know on the DL. Decommitted from Ple Miss 2 days ago. They are still in it as well as Miss St. AU can make a push.

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Another name to know on the DL. Decommitted from Ple Miss 2 days ago. They are still in it as well as Miss St. AU can make a push.

Ehhh. Only impressive thing from this highlight I seen was that one HS field that had blue turf

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Jimmy Brumbaugh is his primary at Colorado.

Man, I loved me some Brumbaugh back in the day. That’s a guy that seemed to squeeze every bit of talent out of himself with great effort

25 minutes ago, fredst said:

Man, I loved me some Brumbaugh back in the day. That’s a guy that seemed to squeeze every bit of talent out of himself with great effort

Played through a serious knee injury as well.  Good guy. 

Archived