2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really want Ashford

The update on the OP is awesome, thanks for sharing E.

OL is a must - captain obvious

More LB would be nice.

Getting a RB earlier this time would be nice lol

On 3/8/2019 at 9:38 AM, kd4au said:

I have found biscuits to be better for gaining weight, at least for me. Eat one and gain a pound, eat two gain three pounds.

buy you a box of Elmer's Candy Companies (Heavenly Hash Eggs) and you will gain some weight no doubt!

• 2 weeks later...

Javion Cohen decommitted from south Carolina today. Does this mean we have turned the heat up on him or has nothing to do with us? 

1 hour ago, AuburnTaco said:

Javion Cohen decommitted from south Carolina today. Does this mean we have turned the heat up on him or has nothing to do with us? 

I’m not even sure we’ve offered him, but we may have interest.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

I’m not even sure we’ve offered him, but we may have interest.

At OT, we can't be too picky

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

At OT, we can't be too picky

Agree totally! We need bodies right now.

2 hours ago, toddc said:

Agree totally! We need bodies right now.

Ahh the old “Shoot for the stars land on the moon” analogy. Lol

If we haven't offered we should 6'5" 270 pound OT solid 3* from Phenix  City where we need to get a pipeline going. He is the type of player you bring in put  on a weight program and develop into an SEC OT over 2-3 years. We need 3-4 OT in this class so we can pick up a couple of players like this while we still pursue one of the big boys that we want badly. This kind of player gives us protection in case we don't get the high 4* or 5* OT and gives us depth if we do get the high 4* 5* player.

Good Safety Chris Thompson Duncanville High School in Texas

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we haven't offered we should 6'5" 270 pound OT solid 3* from Phenix  City where we need to get a pipeline going. He is the type of player you bring in put  on a weight program and develop into an SEC OT over 2-3 years. We need 3-4 OT in this class so we can pick up a couple of players like this while we still pursue one of the big boys that we want badly. This kind of player gives us protection in case we don't get the high 4* or 5* OT and gives us depth if we do get the high 4* 5* player.

We'd be in suuuuuuuuch better shape right now if this had been our strategy the last 3-4 years.

Who knows. Maybe this is our year! *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

10 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We'd be in suuuuuuuuch better shape right now if this had been our strategy the last 3-4 years.

I has been our strategy. We slow-play the 3* guys because the big dogs walk late. Then we miss on the big dogs and by then some of the 3* guys are gone elsewhere, we sign who's left and the fans gripe because we don't have 4* backups. The only way to reverse that is to sign some big dogs. Taking early commitments from 3* guys won't help the situation at all.

12 hours ago, Crouching Tiger said:

Good Safety Chris Thompson Duncanville High School in Texas

Great kid, but most likely all longhorn

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Great kid, but most likely all longhorn

Duncanville gets great visibility and is an elite HS program most years.    I am sure the Texas programs are all over this cat.  But kids sometimes want to make their own path.  I am thinking of Mathew Stafford for example (Texas to UGA).

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

I has been our strategy. We slow-play the 3* guys because the big dogs walk late. Then we miss on the big dogs and by then some of the 3* guys are gone elsewhere, we sign who's left and the fans gripe because we don't have 4* backups. The only way to reverse that is to sign some big dogs. Taking early commitments from 3* guys won't help the situation at all.

When you need as many as we need it is ok to pick up a solid 3* early who have the right size and quickness to develop over a couple of years while still trying for higher rated guy or 2. My point is by the time we strike out on the top dog we don't even have solid develop-able 3*'s left

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

Huh?

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Huh?

Which five 3* guys do you think we should accept commitments from right now, and we just forget about the bigger fish? If not 5, how many 3* prospects should we take right now? When do we stop slow playing the 3* guys and offer them? One day before they commit elsewhere? What day is that?

11 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

My point is by the time we strike out on the top dog we don't even have solid develop-able 3*'s left

Agree, so upon which day do we stop recruiting the top dogs and offer the 3* guys? That's pretty much what we've been doing already, 3 and low 4* guys and all the fans do is whine.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

Which five 3* guys do you think we should accept commitments from right now, and we just forget about the bigger fish? If not 5, how many 3* prospects should we take right now? When do we stop slow playing the 3* guys and offer them? One day before they commit elsewhere? What day is that?

Five? What?

If we've identified a guy who is good enough, we offer and accept his commitment. The number of guys our staff trusts themselves to evaluate and develop vs the number of more talented guys we're willing to risk missing out on should probably vary from season to season based on our needs, based on the quality of that class, based on any gems we might know of in the transfer market, and based on our staff at the time. There are probably lots of other factors, and plenty of other teams seem to weigh it all without a ton of difficulty. And it really doesn't seem like a difficult concept for a football fan to grasp.

By the way, we've taken commitments from 3* guys on the DL in August and June in recent years. And that's on a unit where it's hard to find any 3*s at all. 

36 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I clearly stated "3* guys".

Oh, you're gonna do that thing you do. I'll play along.

Why five? Who said anything about taking five 3*s? 

I was very clear when we have a need of a large O-Line class like this year we find a few of the right 3* guys. The guys the coach's think have the potential to become SEC OT's and we offer them. Now is the tricky part if we need 3 OT's and we think we have a good shot at 2 elite OT's we take the 1st one of the 3*'s that meet coaches requirements. We explain to the others we need to wait on higher ranked players. If we need 4 OT's then we would accept the first 2 3* guys. What has happened in the past is we slow play all of the 3*'s we like and then when we strike out on the big dogs the are already gone

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was very clear when we have a need of a large O-Line class like this year we find a few of the right 3* guys. The guys the coach's think have the potential to become SEC OT's and we offer them. Now is the tricky part if we need 3 OT's and we think we have a good shot at 2 elite OT's we take the 1st one of the 3*'s that meet coaches requirements. We explain to the others we need to wait on higher ranked players. If we need 4 OT's then we would accept the first 2 3* guys. What has happened in the past is we slow play all of the 3*'s we like and then when we strike out on the big dogs the are already gone

Until we get a better recruiter for a OL coach  we need to recruit the OL position like we are not a high profile top tier program who gets top 10 recruiting classes every year. We cannot slow play these mid tier 3 star OL anymore because we think we have a shot at a big fish down the line.  That strategy has proven to not work LIKE AT ALL the past several crutin classes. We are getting rejected at every turn by the stud OL especially the OT's. We just cannot land one to literally save this staffs job. We just need to play it safe and take the layup bird in hand and all those cliches so we are not scrambling at the end of each cycle trying to find any warm body out there that is a OL to jump on board. 

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Yes sir you were. 

Archived