2020 Recruiting Thread (OP Update 1/30/19)

ellitor

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Sammons and Manning too

I hope we even get the opportunity to ask if Sammons could be a tackle. 2016 was a long time ago

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Manning is a Guard last I saw & Sammons could be a Tackle or Guard.

Isn't Sammons 6'8"? If so, I can't see him with enough bend to play guard.

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Isn't Sammons 6'8"? If so, I can't see him with enough bend to play guard.

He's somewhere around there. Just passing on what Caldwell has said.

Nice to see the recruiters stepping outside of the deep south to look at some guys.   Hope we do more of this.

Really athletic local kid that I wish we would look at.  He is graduating early.  Has a couple of offers to some smaller schools, but nothing major.  Don't know if it is because our local high school team sucks or maybe he is just big and not as talented as it seems.  Here is his HUDL video.

http://ywww.hudl.com/v/2AWjs6

On 2/13/2019 at 12:00 PM, LKEEL75 said:

Really athletic local kid that I wish we would look at.  He is graduating early.  Has a couple of offers to some smaller schools, but nothing major.  Don't know if it is because our local high school team sucks or maybe he is just big and not as talented as it seems.  Here is his HUDL video.

He looks like a mauler to me.  I hope the coaching staff will give him a look and get in on him early before he becomes a household name.  I would like to hear more about him from Ellitor and those in the know better than me about this young man.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:45 PM, ellitor said:

He's somewhere around there. Just passing on what Caldwell has said.

I hope the lights will come on for him and he turns into a nice OT even if it is in a solid backup role.  We need to beat the bushes near and far for OTs.  As far as OGs go, we seem to be in much better shape.

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:
On 2/13/2019 at 11:00 AM, LKEEL75 said:

He looks like a mauler to me.  I hope the coaching staff will give him a look and get in on him early before he becomes a household name.  I would like to hear more about him from Ellitor and those in the know better than me about this young man.

He is a really smart kid.  Has been huge his whole life.  He played basketball most of his life because his mom is huge basketball fan.  He quit in highschool but picked up again this year.  I point that out because I think it has helped with his foot skills.  I don't know that he is getting the best instruction but I have been telling his mom to be sure to get him to the camps and stuff to make sure people see him.

5 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

He is a really smart kid.  Has been huge his whole life.  He played basketball most of his life because his mom is huge basketball fan.  He quit in highschool but picked up again this year.  I point that out because I think it has helped with his foot skills.  I don't know that he is getting the best instruction but I have been telling his mom to be sure to get him to the camps and stuff to make sure people see him.

His stats are pretty darn good except his 40 time. He needs to get that down a bit. His needs to get his weight lifting up some as well. It looks like he has the raw skills to be a nice OL at a power 5 school. I would not be surprised to see him getting a 3 star rating down the road when he gets his stats up some. The talent is there and that is 80% of the equation that I feel like he has going for him.

I would love to see him wind up at Auburn one day in the not too distant future. I will follow him to see where he winds up. Keep us posted on him for sure!

WDE!  & pet a Corgi today!

Image result for pictures of corgis wagging their tails

On 2/13/2019 at 11:00 AM, LKEEL75 said:

He is really big and appears to be strong but the guys he is blocking are so much smaller it is hard to tell. Initial stance and pad level are not very good and he does not seem to be that quick. He would be a project but is the type of player we should have as an option if we don't get the stud OT that we always seem to strike out on. Would love to see him in some camps to compare him against better players and against better competition. His playing basketball is a plus.

21 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Don't know a thing about him which means AU has not been mentioned with him.

14 hours ago, doc4aday said:

except his 40 time. He needs to get that down a bit.

5.29 is not bad for an OL if that is accurate.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, ellitor said:

5.29 is not bad for an OL if that is accurate.

Shuttle was 5.29 his 40 was 5.87 which is slow even for an O-Line

8 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Shuttle was 5.29 his 40 was 5.87 which is slow even for an O-Line

Yep! & Nice catch!

It is a little slow today so I thought this might be worth a perusal! If y’all get into I’ll do this on each position as it’s posted, unless @ellitor wants me to do something different or post differently.

2020 Class Preview: Quarterback

For the first time in a couple of cycles, Auburn is still in search for their QB of the class

AUNerdFeb 18, 2019, 9:00am CST

Robby Ashford’s HUDL: https://www.hudl.com/profile/2949455/Robby-Ashford

While it is still likely Auburn lands a transfer or two, for all intents and purposes the 2019 cycle has come to an end. That means the 2020 class is now on the clock. I’ve touched already on Auburn’s current commits (or at least who was committed at the time) along with some names to know early this cycle. But over the coming weeks, I plan to dig a bit deeper into each position group and highlight who appear to be Auburn’s legitimate options in the 2020 class.

We start today with quarterbacks. It’s been a while since Auburn hasn’t already had their QB of the class committed. Both Joey Gatewood and Bo Nix jumped on board very early in their respective cycles. Already eight of the fourteen QB prospects Auburn has offered have already committed. Quarterbacks tend to end their recruitments early so that they can help build their signing class which tends to lead to a game of QB dominoes that SBNation’s Bud Elliot does a great job tracking year to year.

Another interesting observation about Auburn’s early recruiting efforts is that the Tigers have already offered fourteen prospects. That’s more than any previous class under Malzahn and we are only in February. That tells you this staff is having to spread a wider net this cycle which is understandable. Auburn will enter spring ball with three freshman QBs on the roster (two being redshirts). That’s not a favorable situation for a QB who wants to play early and QBs wanting to play early has become a major thing.

So all that to say, Auburn will definitely try and sign a QB this cycle but it might take longer than usual. Who wins the starting job could have a major impact as could any possible transfers by those that don’t win the job. I don’t expect a high profile name this class but if Auburn can get a kid with high upside but maybe needs time to develop, I would consider that a success.

I feel safe in saying we can eliminate a number of quarterback targets already. First, there are those committed elsewhere. Obviously, Auburn could always flip one of these kids but none have been linked to the Tigers in some time. 

5* Bryce Young (USC) - Might have the most entertaining tape of any QB I’ve seen this class

4* Jack Miller (Ohio State) - Good chance he ends up the #1 QB overall

4* Harrison Bailey (Tennessee) - I expect his ranking to drop some over the cycle but a definite top 200 player

4* Max Johnson (LSU) - Surprised he’s listed in top 100, solid player but not sure he’s elite

4* Hudson Card (Texas) - Would be my pick for Auburn to sign in this class if I had that power

4* Drew Pyne (Notre Dame) - Will be a very good fit for Brian Kelly’s system

4* TJ Finley (LSU) - Massive frame but very raw as a passer

4* Luke Doty (South Carolina) - Could start as a true freshman for Will Muschamp

Next, I think there are two more prospects that look extremely unlikely to land at Auburn so I’ll eliminate them as well.

5* DJ Uiagalelei - The current #1 QB in the nation dropped a top 12 that did not include Auburn. Clemson looks like the early favorite and he would be the perfect successor to Trevor Lawrence

4* Malik Hornsby - I believe Auburn is very high on Hornsby but not sure feelings are mutual. Texas A&M is the overwhelming favorite at this time.

That leaves four realistic targets left on the board but I wouldn’t be surprised if no one from this list ends up in Auburn’s class. I expect we see more offers doled out in the coming months as Kenny Dillingham does his own evaluations. But for now, here are the four targets to track closely for the Tigers.

4* Robby Ashford | 6’4” | 210 lbs | Hoover, AL

Top Teams: Auburn, Georgia

Recruitment: If Auburn signs someone mentioned in this article it will most likely be Ashford. The Hoover standout broke out in 2018 with an outstanding performance in the Bucs win over Bo Nix’s Pinson Valley squad on ESPN. He plans to play baseball at the next level so this is a joint recruiting effort by Gus Malzahn and Butch Thompson. Early on in this race, it looked like the Tigers were the team to beat. However, UGA has come on strong and with their recent flip of 5* WR George Pickens, they might now be the team to beat. A decision is expected in March. As of now, I believe Ashford is Auburn’s top target this cycle.

Scouting Report: It’s all about potential with Ashford. He has a massive frame, a great arm and is a tremendous athlete. However, his accuracy can be spotty at times and he has the benefit of working behind an OL that’s typically better than their opponent. Against more talented teams his numbers cratered. However, he’s a guy that if given time to develop could be a weapon at QB. Interested to see how he progresses as a senior this season.

4* Haynes King | 6’3” | 180 lbs | Longview, TX

Top Teams: Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor, LSU, TCU, Tennessee

Recruitment: King’s recruitment is just now taking off and I expect more teams to jump into the fray in the coming months. He visited the Plains for Auburn’s battle with LSU in September and left having positive things to say about the Tigers though Chip Lindsey was heading up that recruitment at the time. Will he be a priority for Dillingham moving forward? We will have to wait and see. His last visit was to TCU for their Junior Day. Let’s see if he makes it to the Plains this spring.

Scouting Report: I’m a big fan of King’s game. He’s gonna need some time in the weight room to handle being hit by SEC defenders but I could see him causing problems at the next level. King can hurt you equally as well with feet and arm. He plays in a system that asks him to do a lot of things from 5 step drops out of an I-formation to quick-hitting passing concepts out of the gun. King can make pretty much every throw with tremendous accuracy. He’s a very good football player that I would love to see land in Auburn’s class if possible.

3* Chandler Morris | 6’0” | 170 lbs | Dallas, TX

Top Teams: Arkansas, Auburn, SMU

Recruitment: I probably could have put Morris in the unlikely column seeing as he is the son of current Arkansas head football coach Chad Morris. You would think then he’s a virtual lock to the Hogs. But if he didn’t want to play for his father then I think Auburn is the team to watch. As you probably well know, it was Morris’s adoption of Gus Malzahn’s system that saw his career take flight. The two are still good friends and if Chandler decides to blaze his own trail then Auburn would immediately become a top contender. With that said, all early signs point to him playing for his father in Fayetteville.

Scouting Report: Being the son of a collegiate head football coach, Chandler is clearly a kid that understands football. I love his processing speed and ability to work through his progressions quickly. He’s deadly accurate throwing a nice flat ball that jumps out of his hand. He can make plays with his feet when needed as well though that skill might not be as dominant at the next level. Overall though the makings of a really good college quarterback.

Jaden Walley | 6’0” | 170 lbs | Biloxi, MS

Top Teams: Auburn, Mississippi State, Southern Miss

Recruitment: Not a lot out there on Walley’s recruitment at the moment though he visited the Plains for Auburn’s most recent Junior Day weekend. Being a Mississippi kid, it’s likely the in-state programs will be top threats if they want him. At this time though I’m not really sure where he sits on anyone’s boards especially seeing as he might be better listed as an athlete than quarterback.

Scouting Report: As of now, I don’t think Walley is a Power 5 quarterback prospect. He’s an elite athlete who can shred defenses with the ball in his hands but it’s all based off his feet. As a passer, he’s inaccurate and reluctant. Arm strength seems average as well. My guess is if AU is actually recruiting him it’s to play WR or DB because I just don’t see him playing QB in the SEC. But then again, Auburn could take a chance on someone like Walley this class, see if they can develop him and if not transition him to another position.

Next will be defensive tackle 

2 hours ago, toddc said:

It is a little slow today so I thought this might be worth a perusal! If y’all get into I’ll do this on each position as it’s posted, unless @ellitor wants me to do something different or post differently.

Let me handle it @toddc. I had planned on doing a separate thread for each position grouping & making lists once we knew what the staff's plans are for each position numbers wise.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 Recruiting Thread
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Let me handle it @toddc. I had planned on doing a separate thread for each position grouping & making lists once we knew what the staff's plans are for each position numbers wise.

I’m good with that brother! I thought you might have had plans and that’s why I tagged you. Thanks 

does anyone know about the OT from the Mobile area named Brady Ward?  He is a 3 star OT with great size.

21 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

does anyone know about the OT from the Mobile area named Brady Ward?  He is a 3 star OT with great size.

Haven't heard much from Auburn's end. Appears other OL are higher on the board.

13 minutes ago, Roos said:

Any word on Omari Porter, DB, I think is Larry Porters son? is he a take? 

Would require having an AU offer which he doesn't have.

Archived