2020 4* QB Robby Ashford

ellitor

Early offers from AU, Florida, UGA, Miss St, FSU, & NC St among others
Starting QB for first time this season
Visited AU a number of times
Also big baseball recruit for Butch & Co.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really impressed with this kid in the game they showed vs Pinson Valley.  He's still a little raw, but some serious athleticism and arm strength.  Throws a pretty nice ball too for a first year starter.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Also big baseball recruit for Butch & Co.

I know we are letting Swartz & Worm work track & football, but would we allow him to do baseball and football?

Great size. Runs relatively North and South. Good job squaring up his shoulders on the run and he doesn't have a big throwing motion, all the better. For a first year starter I really like how high this kid's ceiling might be. War Eagle and I hope he comes down! Our baseball team should be a good draw as well.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

would we allow him to do baseball and football?

Wouldn't be a major recruit for both if we weren't. Both staffs are helping each other here.

All of the above comments are true but he has a lot of growing up to do ( I don't just mean age). From what I have seen when he throws a bad pass he often blames the WR ( when it's clearly his fault which doesn't go over well with the WR's). He also really needs to work on his body language when things get tight. A real leader doesn't let it show as much as he does when things go bad. A lot of that will come with time and he has plenty of time. Great arm. Great running ability. Great size. He didn't play well in the St. Johns game but bounced back very well against Thompson. If he can make an attitude adjustment he will be very good. As far as Baseball goes, I think  they are recruiting him with both in mind.

Would be really cool to have a guy playing baseball and football again. I believe the last guy to do that at Auburn was Gabe Gross if I'm not mistaken. I know Tyler Stovall was a grad assistant this past season for baseball...

EDIT: For some reason I seem to remember a wide receiver playing center field back in the early 2000's? Could be way off

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I was really impressed with this kid in the game they showed vs Pinson Valley.  He's still a little raw, but some serious athleticism and arm strength.  Throws a pretty nice ball too for a first year starter.

Agree with everything you said. The only thing I can add is he also can run. Looks to be a complete QB. Hope we get him!

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

EDIT: For some reason I seem to remember a wide receiver playing center field back in the early 2000's? Could be way off

The last WR I can remember playing baseball was Frank Sanders in the early 90s.

He is a very good fit for us. Sure hope the kid is a good student considering he wants to play both baseball and football. I know I couldn't have done that when I was in school and come out with decent grades. Of course they get tutors, etc.

6 hours ago, bg5 said:

All of the above comments are true but he has a lot of growing up to do ( I don't just mean age). From what I have seen when he throws a bad pass he often blames the WR ( when it's clearly his fault which doesn't go over well with the WR's). He also really needs to work on his body language when things get tight. A real leader doesn't let it show as much as he does when things go bad. A lot of that will come with time and he has plenty of time. Great arm. Great running ability. Great size. He didn't play well in the St. Johns game but bounced back very well against Thompson. If he can make an attitude adjustment he will be very good. As far as Baseball goes, I think  they are recruiting him with both in mind.

For what its worth, the announcers for the Hoover/Pinson Valley game said he was 15 years old. I’m sure a lot of that will grow out of him. He’s one where emotional maturity is probably on pace, but his physical maturity is quite accelerated.  

20 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

@ellitor What kind of QB are we looking for with Gus and Chip?  DT, drop back, or some weird combination only Gus can define?

Whatever Gus feels is best available. Likely an atheletic passer

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

For what its worth, the announcers for the Hoover/Pinson Valley game said he was 15 years old. I’m sure a lot of that will grow out of him. He’s one where emotional maturity is probably on pace, but his physical maturity is quite accelerated.  

Oof, I can’t imagine 15 year old me with that level of national attention and with social media how it is today... I would have been like T.O. people would have loved to hate me. He’ll learn and Hoover is a successful program so I believe their coach can handle some issues real fast.

18 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

I know we are letting Swartz & Worm work track & football, but would we allow him to do baseball and football?

Shouldn't be an issue.  Bo & Trey Gainous played both throughout and Frank T & Gabe G did briefly but both decided (wisely) to eventually stick to baseball.

9 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Shouldn't be an issue.  Bo & Trey Gainous played both throughout and Frank T & Gabe G did briefly but both decided (wisely) to eventually stick to baseball.

Completely different eras but yeah, shouldn’t be an issue.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

The last WR I can remember playing baseball was Frank Sanders in the early 90s.

I remember a guy with the first name Bruce who played center for us. Stole home plate one time on a straight steal. For some reason I thought he played football as well but I could be way off

• 3 months later...

48 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

March decision? That isn't good. 

I don't think it is a bad thing and my best guess is we lead for him. I know the coaching staff wants him but right now I don't. I'm not sure the attitude can be coached out of him. Its for sure not going to get better at Hoover next year.

46 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Think he probably lands at UGA but to be honest he’s not that impressive. JMO.

LOL that he would pick UG when they just had arguably the best HS dual-threat QB in the last decade and he wants to leave because their OC had no clue how to utilize him. Oh yeah, and the bogus racism issue too.

If he does come to AU it will be because of Butch Thompson who along with Bruuuuuuuuuuuce is easily the best recruiter on campus. 

Archived