2020 4* QB Robby Ashford

ellitor

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Weird hill to die on here by you but here we go. If you followed his recruitment at all, you’re aware that his coach, Darrell Sutherland, has rotated QB’s since he took over at Bartram Trail. This is regardless of talent. Joey was the best athlete on his team and pretty much played everywhere on the field. He led BT to a 7A championship game and passed for 1,468 yards and 12 TD and rushed for 1,100 yards with 16 scores and was an Elite 11 finalist. Those stats are with him literally rotating every other drive with his teammate Riley Smith who ended up going to Boise State.

Not a sunshine pumper but you just don’t know what you’re talking about and while Joey Gatewood was a project coming in, most freshman QB’s aren’t lighting CFB on fire. Bama wanted him as a QB and Jimbo Fisher wanted him as a QB when he was still at FSU. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollbamaroll.com/platform/amp/2017/5/12/15629338/alabama-football-saban-recruiting-jonathan-allen-washington-redskins

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/05/alabama_offers_auburn_qb_commi.amp

These articles both indicate Bama wanted him for multiple positions. Why do you think many of the recruiting services have him listed as an athlete, rather than a qb. Just for sh**s and giggles? No, it's because college coaches see him in roles other than QB. 

As to your point above, yea I already knew they had another good QB on their roster. But with Gatewoods athleticism, if was has close to the caliber in pure qb skills as the other kid, he wouldve started. You really think he wasnt good enough to start for his high school over a less athletic kid and hes going to magically beat out all these kids that were good enough at the college level, where reading defenses and such become exponentially harder? Hey, maybe he will. I remain skeptical though. I dont see him starting over Bo Nix, who is known as an excellent reader of defenses and has great pocket presence. Hope I'm wrong about Gatewood. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

These articles both indicate Bama wanted him for multiple positions. 

No they don’t. 

Why do you think many of the recruiting services have him listed as an athlete, rather than a qb. Just for sh**s and giggles? No, it's because college coaches see him in roles other than QB. 

Because he is a very good athlete that could excel at many different positions including QB. 

But with Gatewoods athleticism, if was has close to the caliber in pure qb skills as the other kid, he wouldve started. 

Not if Gatewood’s coaches wanted to maximize the talent on their roster. 

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Hope I'm wrong about Gatewood. 

Me too! Let the big dog eat!!!

8 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Seriously....really?

Yes really. It's because their passing accuracy is usually lower than their pocket style counterpart recruits. It's specifically the area Joey needs to improve on.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

No they don’t. 

Yes, they absolutely do.

"He is committed to Auburn to play quarterback and Alabama would like to see more of him in camp and believes he can excel at multiple positions. "

Just now, twilli13 said:

He is committed to Auburn to play quarterback and Alabama would like to see more of him in camp and believes he can excel at multiple positions. 

That clearly doesn’t say they wanted him for multiple positions. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

That clearly doesn’t say they wanted him for multiple positions. 

Wow. Ok man. What do you take that to mean as then? 

Just now, twilli13 said:

Wow. Ok man. What do you take that to mean as then? 

It means they believe he can excel at multiple positions. Just like I do. His first shot would’ve still been at QB. 

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It means they believe he can excel at multiple positions. Just like I do. His first shot would’ve still been at QB. 

This is correct. Bama, just like every other team, knew the only shot any team had of flipping Joey would have been to give him a real shot at QB first because that's what Joey wanted & saw himself out of high school. And every team recruited him accordingly.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Agree but the guy has staked out his position and not gonna budge....which considering JG is an AU player....I can't understand why TWI is so dug in on that argument..      But since his first post was mostly about Gus ….not JG and not Robby.....I  guess it comes back to that for him.  :dunno:

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Yep, hes not exclusively a QB recruit. Some are recruiting him as something besides qb. Back to my original comment on Gus. I said I think his recruiting of dual threat qbs has left something to be desired. Several folks wanted to pile on about Gatewood. I said Gatewood was a project qb and not being recruited by everyone just as a qb. Gus is going to have to develop him a good bit before hes SEC caliber at QB. And dont tell me every qb needs development, I get that. But Gatewood needs a little more than usual as far as pure QB skills. If he doesnt develop, he wont play QB in the SEC. Gus tends to recruit prospects that are somewhat raw when he gets dual threats. Woody Barrett or John Franklin are great examples. Maybe they couldnt be developed. But either way, it's on Gus. Either recruit dual threats with better pocket presence and qb skills or do a better job developing them. 

Back to Robby, I don't think he is really 100% Ga.. I think a lot will depend on whether Bo can come in and start next year. I know he will probably commit before then but if Bo is the starter next year then I would say we are 50/50 with Ga.. All things = he would go to Auburn but of course all things are not =. Fromm probably won't be there much longer (2 years at most) and if Bo Redshirts then Robbie most likely would never start at Auburn. Bo is the better of the two ( I think Bo's passing offsets Robbie's running ability).

15 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Back to Robby, I don't think he is really 100% Ga.. I think a lot will depend on whether Bo can come in and start next year. I know he will probably commit before then but if Bo is the starter next year then I would say we are 50/50 with Ga.. All things = he would go to Auburn but of course all things are not =. Fromm probably won't be there much longer (2 years at most) and if Bo Redshirts then Robbie most likely would never start at Auburn. Bo is the better of the two ( I think Bo's passing offsets Robbie's running ability).

I think I saw where he was committing in March, but not 100% on that and can’t find where I read it!

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think I saw where he was committing in March, but not 100% on that and can’t find where I read it! 

Been posted a number of places including here.

• 2 months later...

fg.gif

bye.gif

I like our chances! What happened to UGA?  I thought they were in it. Come on home Robby to the good guys!

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I like our chances! What happened to UGA?  I thought they were in it. Come on home Robby to the good guys!

Don't think he ends up at AU. He does not have a comittable offer from AU right now. UGA got another QB. I believe AU won't take another QB this year and sets it sights on Vandergiff next year. Vandergiff is elite.

10 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

Alphabetical order...

Ole Miss

Oregon

;)

22 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Don't think he ends up at AU. He does not have a comittable offer from AU right now. UGA got another QB. I believe AU won't take another QB this year and sets it sights on Vandergiff next year. Vandergiff is elite.

I agree, when we got our most recent commit my first thought was Ashford is probably out of the picture. Which is a shame, I've liked Ashford for a while now.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think right now it's Florida #1. Ga. #2.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gotta keep Oklahoma away

19 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Top eighty . Thanks kid . Just pick a  school . No one cares . 

The recruiting services do. They need content. 

Frustrating. Almost as frustrating as following your favorite team on social and getting constantly bombarded with still shots of 3rd stringers engaged in indeterminate practice drills. 

D
G
A
F

But there's some social media coordinator whose job is literally to make sure that something- anything- is being fed out 24/7. 

Sorry. Slightly different model with the recruiting services. Same concept. Content, content, content. 

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:43 AM, Zeek said:

Alphabetical order...

Ole Miss

Oregon

;)

I agree, when we got our most recent commit my first thought was Ashford is probably out of the picture. Which is a shame, I've liked Ashford for a while now.

baseball still in the picture?    Thought I recall that he was a very good baseball prospect?

Otherwise, hard to know how many QBs you need in the pipeline since most are apt to bolt if they don't; get some action as freshmen.    

Archived