The Neverending Story of The RB & RB Recruiting Discussion

Zeek

Moved over a wrong post & can't move it back since it's now the 1st post of a thread...E

32 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Thanks!   I thought I had read last month he was committed.    I must be getting old and senile!!!   

Thanks again for doing what you do.  It means a lot, to a good many of us (junkies).  

I thought the same thing about him and Mark Antony-Richards. Hate that Miami looks to have both of them almost locked up and we're all in on an LSU commit. 

I hope Gus knows what he's doing on this. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I thought the same thing about him and Mark Antony-Richards. Hate that Miami looks to have both of them almost locked up and we're all in on an LSU commit. 

I hope Gus knows what he's doing on this. 

Very disappointed with Horton on the recruiting trail (I realize that maybe these guys aren't in his area but as RB coach we need to be pulling some of these big-time guys, particularly with the numbers our RBs typically put up)

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Very disappointed with Horton on the recruiting trail (I realize that maybe these guys aren't in his area but as RB coach we need to be pulling some of these big-time guys, particularly with the numbers our RBs typically put up)

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it does require some effort. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I'm trying to remain optimistic, but it does require some effort. 

I'm not sure why.  We're 4-5 deep on the roster for the next year or two with a ton of youth.

KM is just a junior
Boobee, Worm, Asa, and Joiner are all freshmen

I just don't see RB as the highest priority this year for recruiting and I'm sure prospects see that depth chart too.  Doesn't look like a ton of playing time to be had.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not sure why.  We're 4-5 deep on the roster for the next year or two with a ton of youth.

KM is just a junior

I just don't see RB as the highest priority this year for recruiting and I'm sure prospects see that depth chart too.  Doesn't look like a ton of playing time to be had.

I'll offer a response in the RB thread. You make good points and I want to continue the conversation, but not here. 

1 hour ago, fredst said:

As Loof alluded to this is not all on Horton or much of it either, not this year anyway. Gus is all in on Cain. Horton working other guys like McIntosh & MAR for when Gus finally concedes Cain to LSU.

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We're 4-5 deep on the roster for the next year or two with a ton of youth.

Assuming they all stay which is not a given. Even if 1 leaves eventually though we should have 3 young guys who can handle some work between the tackles so I agree with your overall thesis.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll offer a response in the RB thread. You make good points and I want to continue the conversation, but not here. 

Here is fine. While visitor thread is the title it doesn't all have to be visitor related.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

As Loof alluded to this is not all on Horton or much of it either, not this year anyway. Gus is all in on Cain. Horton working other guys like McIntosh & MAR for when Gus finally concedes Cain to LSU.

Yeah, I get it, just knowing he's been looking around and watching our RB recruiting last 2-3 years....underwhelmed.

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Yeah, I get it, just knowing he's been looking around and watching our RB recruiting last 2-3 years....underwhelmed.

With due respect what was underwhelming about getting Asa, The Worm, & Joiner last year? Boobee could be a gem from 2017 class. Definitely feel you on 2016 with no feature back landed there but in 2015 we landed Kerryon & Jovon, who was very talented on the field even though he ended up having behavioral issues.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Here is fine. While visitor thread is the title it doesn't all have to be visitor related.

Oh. Well, in that case...

18 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

KM is just a junior

...I think that there are teams recruiting RBs at a higher level than us who will have more challenging rotations to break into and who are still securing commitments from elite backs in this cycle. 5* John Emery committed to uga and said specifically that he wants to go compete with other elite RBs, like Zamir White (FR, 5*, top-10 recruit nationally), James Cook (FR, 4*, top-50 recruit nationally) and De'Andre Swift (SO, already one of the better backs in the SEC). Maybe that's an impo$$ible standard to compete with but Harold Joiner and Asa Martin should not be scaring off stud RBs. 

Also, I personally draw a distinction between being "4-5 deep" and having "4-5 running backs on roster". We don't know yet how many of those guys are legit SEC RBs. There isn't a proven guy in the bunch, no matter how high we are on them. 

I guess both comments are kind of the same point. JMO. 

PS- Don't forget about Malik Miller. Still just a SO. He could finally get all the way healthy and be a terror. But that doesn't change my opinion. 

By the way, I like our RBs. I'm not crapping on them at all. I've stuck up for most of them at one point or another. 

I'm just saying that early reps for a freshman RB are going to be a daunting task at any power program and I don't believe in that as an excuse for not securing a commitment from an elite RB if we are at all prioritizing one. 

Maybe the WR recruiting has been clouding my judgment. It's crazy to me that we've been recruiting that position that well for a few years now and currently have a 5* commitment but nada for RBs. 

Everyone should also understand that a very good college RB does not have to be a five star recruit. The leading rusher in the conference Kylin Hill is a MSU soph who was a four star guy from Columbus Mississippi.  there are very good backs around that are not at the top of the list. I bet some of the guys down the list we are considering will be one of those. Finding quality RB's is alot less difficult than finding a LT that can handle the speed of the DE's we face.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't forget about Malik Miller. Still just a SO. He could finally get all the way healthy and be a terror.

Would be a surprise at this point from what I have seen. All freshmen RBs have passed him on the depth chart.

2 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Everyone should also understand that a very good college RB does not have to be a five star recruit. The leading rusher in the conference Kylin Hill is a MSU soph who was a four star guy from Columbus Mississippi.  there are very good backs around that are not at the top of the list. I bet some of the guys down the list we are considering will be one of those. Finding quality RB's is alot less difficult than finding a LT that can handle the speed of the DE's we face.

Hey! Hey Hey! Don't bring that logic & reality to the star gazers. Lol

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

By the way, I like our RBs. I'm not crapping on them at all. I've stuck up for most of them at one point or another. 

I'm just saying that early reps for a freshman RB are going to be a daunting task at any power program and I don't believe in that as an excuse for not securing a commitment from an elite RB if we are at all prioritizing one. 

Maybe the WR recruiting has been clouding my judgment. It's crazy to me that we've been recruiting that position that well for a few years now and currently have a 5* commitment but nada for RBs. 

I think this is where we differ.  I'm good with a bunch of talented 4* RBs.  They are still considered blue chip prospects with tons of potential.  There aren't many teams in the country that would keep what they have over the guys in our RB room.

If anything, I'm focused on the OL recruiting.  You can have all the five stars in the world, but if defensive guys aren't blocked, it doesn't matter.

5 minutes ago, auol72 said:

I think we all understand that. 

@Brad_ATX and @McLoofus I simply want us to get at least one running back every year of 4* or greater quality (based off our evaluations and not recruiting sites obviously).

The reason I think a lot of Auburn fans get concerned is that we have a bad current history of transfers and dismissals at the running back position in particular. We're kind of like the New England Patriots with wide receivers. Who they have at the position may be hard to judge because the system they're in might be bolstering their numbers. Now when you add a stud player to a stud system you get greatness. That's why we all want a stud.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Would be a surprise at this point from what I have seen. All freshmen RBs have passed him on the depth chart.

After listening to CGM comments and seeing Asa's issues holding on to the ball, I don't know that I would say "all" freshmen have passed him.  One thing CGM will not tolerate is fumbles.  Now they may be Bottom-A and Bottom-B on the totem pole, but at least MM has some company.  haha

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm good with a bunch of talented 4* RBs.  They are still considered blue chip prospects with tons of potential. 

Agreed. But we don't have a 4* RB in this class. We have no RBs in this class.

And, again, none of the guys in our locker room have proven that they can play like 4* RBs at the college level. I happen to believe that a couple of them can, but potential doesn't win games. And, as @ellitor said, it's highly possible that one or two of them won't finish out their career at RB and/or Auburn. 

There aren't many teams in the country that would keep what they have over the guys in our RB room.

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, we frequently play the teams who would. 

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With due respect what was underwhelming about getting Asa, The Worm, & Joiner last year? Boobee could be a gem from 2017 class. Definitely feel you on 2016 with no feature back landed there but in 2015 we landed Kerryon & Jovon, who was very talented on the field even though he ended up having behavioral issues.

Love Worm and Asa. Most here on this board were "meh" on Joiner, despite his high ranking, although he looked good last week (albeit against ASU). Whitlow was a last-minute almost afterthought signee but may prove to be great. I'm referring more to identifying top targets early, pursuing them, and signing them rather than scrambling after our top guys go elsewhere. So far we've made it work but it would be awesome to hit the homerun (like say a UGA Gurley/Marshall class). I guess I'm still upset about Teague, lol.

3 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

After listening to CGM comments and seeing Asa's issues holding on to the ball, I don't know that I would say "all" freshmen have passed him.  One thing CGM will not tolerate is fumbles.  Now they may be Bottom-A and Bottom-B on the totem pole, but at least MM has some company.  haha

I've taken all that into account. MM is still at the bottom right now FWIW.

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Love Worm and Asa. Most here on this board were "meh" on Joiner, despite his high ranking, although he looked good last week (albeit against ASU). Whitlow was a last-minute almost afterthought signee but may prove to be great. I'm referring more to identifying top targets early, pursuing them, and signing them rather than scrambling after our top guys go elsewhere. So far we've made it work but it would be awesome to hit the homerun (like say a UGA Gurley/Marshall class). I guess I'm still upset about Teague, lol.

Gotcha. I think HJ will turn out better than most of us believed & Worm can be used more than some fans believed. I don't care when we find guys whether it be early in a cycle or late signee. I just want guys we can plug & produce.

9 minutes ago, fredst said:

Judging by the twists and turns of his recruiting thread, the staff were a bit "meh" on Joiner for most of his recruiting cycle, too. And as good as he looked on a few wildcat snaps against Alabama State... it was a few wildcat snaps against Alabama State. 

Horton said the other day that he's surprised by how physical Worm is. (To be fair, Worm was a top target all along, even if they didn't necessarily expect him to get a lot of traditional RB carries.)

AMart is not yet living up to billing.

KMart is a transfer who got 4 carries in the conference championship game last year.

Whitlow came here as a WR.

Barrett is a DB now.

Pettway came in as a fullback.

Jovon Robinson was a head case. Roc Thomas wouldn't change his role so he left. Peyton Barber started after those guys flamed out and then left a year early. 

Kerryon Johnson was a home run, but even he was only 14th in the league in yards per carry last season among running backs.

Yes, we will run the ball at a high volume and usually pile up some yards, especially against the bad teams on our schedule. But does anyone not wonder if we're capable of more?

Archived