The Neverending Story of The RB & RB Recruiting Discussion

Zeek

38 minutes ago, fredst said:

Most here on this board were "meh" on Joiner, despite his high ranking

I was, and am, stoked about Joiner when I saw his measurables. The ding on him was his lack of physicality; from what some have posted apparently that hasn't been an issue at practice. Would love a legitimate running threat at the H-Back position.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

AMart is not yet living up to billing.

KMart is a transfer who got 4 carries in the conference championship game last year.

KMart was a signee out of high school in Houston. AMart is 2 games into his college career. I’m betting he improves over the next 4 years. 

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. But we don't have a 4* RB in this class. We have no RBs in this class.

And, again, none of the guys in our locker room have proven that they can play like 4* RBs at the college level. I happen to believe that a couple of them can, but potential doesn't win games. And, as @ellitor said, it's highly possible that one or two of them won't finish out their career at RB and/or Auburn. 

Fair, but neither have any recruits.  For four of the guys in our locker room, they're only two games deep into their college careers.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for RB recruiting.  Just think I'd be focusing more on getting a guy or two next year if I was managing the roster.

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

KMart was a signee out of high school in Houston. AMart is 2 games into his college career. I’m betting he improves over the next 4 years. 

Did KMart not transfer from Baylor? Not that it matters a ton or is a referendum on his ability. 

And you're right that AMart isn't a bust yet, but I'd be a bit blown away if anyone said that he's shown enough that it lessens the urgency of getting a quality running back in this cycle. 

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Kerryon Johnson was a home run, but even he was only 14th in the league in yards per carry last season among running backs.

Yes, we will run the ball at a high volume and usually pile up some yards, especially against the bad teams on our schedule. But does anyone not wonder if we're capable of more?

Deceiving stat.  He had 18 rushing TDs last year.  Lots were from 1-2 yards out.  Also a ton of designed short yardage, first down runs.  Those hurt an average but obviously count for more in the grand scheme.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Did KMart not transfer from Baylor? Not that it matters a ton or is a referendum on his ability. 

And you're right that AMart isn't a bust yet, but I'd be a bit blown away if anyone said that he's shown enough that it lessens the urgency of getting a quality running back in this cycle. 

You are technically correct. I forgot that he had signed with Baylor, but was allowed to transfer prior to his enrollment. I feel really good about the stable of RBs, but I think at least for this year, we are going to have to go at it by committee instead of just one main guy. That said, I am always happy to add a top talent RB to the recruiting class. WDE!!!

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

it was a few wildcat snaps against Alabama State. 

Yes but for the 1st time in his football carrier at ant level we saw some physicality & toughness in his runs which is a good sign regardless of the opponent.

Whitlow came here as a WR.

Technically it was as an offensive athlete the staff would later figure out how to be use him.

Pettway came in as a fullback.

Respectfully incorrect. As Lashlee said in 1 of his 1st 2 interviews after that class signeed AU recruited Bubba solely & exclusively as a tailback. He was moved to FB in the Spring after his freshman year out of need for the position.

Wow! had no clue the RB talk would take off like this again. Guess it should have been moved after all.

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:
27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

KMart is a transfer

KMart was a signee out of high school in Houston.

Both technically incorrect. He signed with Baylor out of high school but was granted a release from his NLI without taking any classes at Baylor after the Art Briles Saga. He then enrolled at AU as a true freshman with out having to sign an NLI or FAA.

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yes but for the 1st time in his football carrier at ant level we saw some physicality & toughness in his runs which is a good sign regardless of the opponent.

Technically it was as an offensive athlete the staff would later figure out how to be use him.

Respectfully incorrect. As Lashlee said in 1 of his 1st 2 interviews after that class signeed AU recruited Bubba solely & exclusively as a tailback. He was moved to FB in the Spring after his freshman year.

I don't think any of that really speaks to this staff recruiting the position very well the last few years. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I don't think any of that really speaks to this staff recruiting the position very well the last few years. 

Not saying it did. Just clearing up some facts my friend.

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are technically correct. I forgot that he had signed with Baylor, but was allowed to transfer prior to his enrollment. I feel really good about the stable of RBs, but I think at least for this year, we are going to have to go at it by committee instead of just one main guy. That said, I am always happy to add a top talent RB to the recruiting class. WDE!!!

For that, I am very happy, and I think we should split carries much more evenly no matter how good RB1 is.

Fun fact: At this link, Stidham shows up as our 2nd leading rusher in terms of total yards at 153 because players had to average a minimum of 6.25 carries a game to be included. 

Our run game can be a lot better. 

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Deceiving stat.  He had 18 rushing TDs last year.  Lots were from 1-2 yards out.  Also a ton of designed short yardage, first down runs.  Those hurt an average but obviously count for more in the grand scheme.

Chubb had 15. Michel had 16. I imagine they probably ran for some short first downs, too. 

All RB discussion from other recruiting threads now gets dumped into here.

Poor Artax has got to be a skeleton given how much he's been beat up by now. (Curious to see who gets this reference...)

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our run game can be a lot better. 

Yeah but the main reason for that right now is the OL. #PlotTwist

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

AU recruited Bubba solely & exclusively as a tailback

It really is heart breaking the way the bubba story ended. He could still be here running up down the field and we wouldn't be nearly as worried about the RB recruiting.

I remember when he was being recruited a few folks here were like me, treating Joiner as a wait & see based on both recruiting vids where he seemed to shy away from contact (not good in the SEC but odd since Harold ain't exactly a tiny human being) and narratives to that effect from recruiting analysts.

37 minutes ago, kd4au said:

It really is heart breaking the way the bubba story ended. He could still be here running up down the field and we wouldn't be nearly as worried about the RB recruiting.

Only if he put down the relaxing elixir which I’m not sure he would do.

18 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I think this is where we differ.  I'm good with a bunch of talented 4* RBs.  They are still considered blue chip prospects with tons of potential.  There aren't many teams in the country that would keep what they have over the guys in our RB room.

If anything, I'm focused on the OL recruiting.  You can have all the five stars in the world, but if defensive guys aren't blocked, it doesn't matter.

My thinking exactly.

Archived