Auburn lacks the respect it deserves

WFE12

Auburn lacks the respect it deserves, but that can change with win against LSU

Joseph Goodman

It's almost like Auburn is the third wheel of the SEC right now.

The conference has powerhouses Alabama and Georgia, and, oh, yeah, there's Auburn, the awkward friend who won't go away and just can't take a hint. Makes a great artichoke spinach dip, though.

Alabama is the No. 1 team in the country, and Georgia is No. 3 in a conference that feels a lot like a two-team league (plus one). Sitting in the backseat on the way to the party right now is No.7 Auburn. Why isn't Auburn getting the respect it deserves?

Two weeks into the season and the Tigers still have the best victory of any team in the country. On top of that, Auburn is the last team to beat Alabama, has one of the best quarterbacks in the country and is led by a defense that's loaded with future NFL talent.

Is it the schedule?

"When you look at our schedule, it's a man's schedule," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said on Tuesday. "There are not too many schedules out in the country like ours."

Such is life when one of your rivals has the best coach in the history of the game (Alabama's Nick Saban), and the other rival has that guy's longtime apprentice (Georgia's Kirby Smart). Alabama has quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, who is spitting out touchdowns like a Pez dispenser at a candy convention. Georgia just ragdolled South Carolina coach Will Muschamp back into four more years of insignificance.

There's no question Auburn isn't receiving the same attention and hype to start this season as its two rivals, but maybe that's about to change. Team Tag Along plays No.12 LSU at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium. It's the CBS game of the week, and Auburn's first SEC home game.

It also might be the most important game at Jordan-Hare Stadium all season.

This Auburn team has the resume, and the roster. Its coach is just lacking the right reputation. Auburn hasn't started a season 3-0 since 2014.

The Tigers will play bigger games this season, but this one feels a lot like a must win with away tests against Mississippi State, Georgia and Alabama out there in October and November. Can Auburn survive a loss here? History says yes, but this road would be considerably more difficult than 2013 and 2017. Auburn lost to LSU those seasons and still made the SEC Championship game, but the Tigers played Georgia and Alabama at home.

Make no mistake. This is another statement game for Malzahn, whose had a lot of them lately. He's forcing Auburn into the conversation despite all of Alabama and Georgia's successes, but there's one reputation he still needs to shake. His teams have a recent history of struggling when things start going well.

Exhibit A: Mississippi State 38, Auburn 23 in 2014.

Exhibit B: Georgia 13, Auburn 6 in 2016.

Exhibit ? LSU 27, Auburn 23 in 2017.

The Tigers haven't lost a home game against an SEC opponent since the third week of the season two years ago. In that SEC home opener, Auburn was favored against Texas A&M but lost 29-16.

Another loss like that would be devastating for a coach who, despite his new contract, still isn't unquestionably beloved by his fanbase.

Auburn opened this week favored by 10.5 points against LSU, which is an unusually high number for such a close rivalry. Malzahn, after all, is 2-3 against LSU during his time as Auburn's head coach, and his team blew a 20-point lead last year in Baton Rouge.

It's one year later, but that loss is still eating at Malzahn. He rolled his eyes in frustration on Tuesday when forced to remember the game.

"Anytime you're up 20 to nothing -- and we lost -- there are a lot of lessons to be learned," he said.

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham completed 1 of 9 passing attempts in the fourth quarter of that horrendous second half. He couldn't handle the pressure. Since that loss, Stidham has defeated No.1 Alabama, No.1 Georgia and No. 6 Washington.

In other words, Auburn should have more respect right now. Of that there is no question. The Tigers are the defending SEC West champs, and they've already beaten the No.6 team in the country. How do you go from being a third wheel among the SEC's elite teams to forcing your way into a triumvirate?

Easy. Win the games you're supposed to win.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Auburn was one of the 2 SEC teams that made it to the NC game, they'd be getting the same respect and attention other 2 SEC teams are getting. 

All AU has to do is keep winning and they'll get all the respect and attention they deserve. If they revert back to that '17 style of play that caused them to crap the bed vs LSU then the respect level will .........well we know what will happen.

You want glowing headlines, media attention, national respect - gotta consistently win on the big stage.  If Gus adds another skin to his belt by kicking LSU's arse in JHS on Saturday, the respect will ratchet up a notch or two.

True enough, Auburn’s respect is laid before them: Saturday in and Saturday out. Win and the respect will come.

With recent history, I don't blame the talking heads with being cautious.  Auburn has 8 more chances to earn all the respect they could ever want and then some. They control their own destiny 100%.

Auburn gets the respect it has earned. It's a cautious respect because of the way we navigate the schedule year in and year out. I think we get a pretty good amount of respect in the polls based on our ups and downs. 

1 hour ago, wareagleguy said:

True enough, Auburn’s respect is laid before them: Saturday in and Saturday out. Win and the respect will come.

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

With recent history, I don't blame the talking heads with being cautious.  Auburn has 8 more chances to earn all the respect they could ever want and then some. They control their own destiny 100%.

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Auburn gets the respect it has earned. It's a cautious respect because of the way we navigate the schedule year in and year out. I think we get a pretty good amount of respect in the polls based on our ups and downs. 

I think this can pretty much wrap up this thread. I agree there's no real point in wringing hands this early in a season when we're already in the top 10 and have the opportunities in front of us that we do.

I was watching SEC Network in bed last night and some tool was saying how horrible our offense was. And said “throw the whole ASU game away cause it didn’t mean anything.” Nevermind that Washington has a good defense and it was also the first game of the season.... ?

4 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

IMHO Us getting 10 points vs LSU shows a ton of respect. 

Solid evidence.

UGA and Alabama played in the NC game. That’s why we are “third wheel”. 

To be fair, these are legit playoff teams. 

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Solid evidence.

I concur!  We should by season's end,  have gained and earned that respect.  It begins Saturday at JHS and ends in Atlanta.  This team has the talent to do what it needs to do to win the SEC and maybe beyond.  I think these young men know that and are buying into what CGM, CCL, and CKS have to offer, along with the rest of our coaching staff.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Just win baby!  That's all that's required.  

mostly....but last year AU beat UGA and the media talk was about Georgia and Smart....and  then AU beat bama and the media talk was about bama and how they should still be in the playoffs.     Not worrying about that …..just saying that it's not gonna matter if AU hammers LSU this weekend, the media noise will be about Tua and bama ....count on it. 

stupid article by a stupid hack. How to earn respect ..don't listen to ignorant bloggers and media puppets.

After he blubbers through the whole article, a brilliant observation, win

Frankly, I don't give a FF about the "respect" of media quacking heads. You win games or you don't. That's all that counts. Auburn won a couple of big games last year, but then fell flat in the SECCG and was truly embarrassed on national TV in their bowl game. Malzahn and post season? Ha!

You want respect? Earn it.

I'm an Auburn grad and I DO. NOT. MAKE. EXCUSES.

This reminds me of a scene in one of my favorite movies, "Unforgiven". William Munny (Clint Eastwood) just shot Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) who lies wounded on the floor. William Munny walks over to finish the job with a rifle, pointing it at Little Bill's forehead.

Little Bill Daggett: "I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house."
William Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Just win baby !!!!

10 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

This reminds me of a scene in one of my favorite movies, "Unforgiven". William Munny (Clint Eastwood) just shot Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) who lies wounded on the floor. William Munny walks over to finish the job with a rifle, pointing it at Little Bill's forehead.

Little Bill Daggett: "I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house."
William Munny: "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it."

Just win baby !!!!

70EFE5F5-9146-425B-B4F5-B960F3ECC947.gif

We play bama, Georgia, LSU and the rest of the SEC West every season.  Recently, we've been playing a ranked teams in our OOC schedule. 

Just holding our own is reason enough for "respect".  What we need is another NC to make it a moot point.   

Picked to beat #6 Washington and # 12 lswho and 62 points over al st!! We are getting respect from the sports bettors and they put their money where their mouth is.(no silly jokes)

Its jacked to me because UGA/UA have a clear path to playoff. Even if Bama loses to AU they are more than likely gonna back there way in again. Auburn is the only challenger to Bama. They play no one else of significance. UGA’s only bump in the road is Auburn and they get us at home. I know they both are good teams but there schedules are basically a beat Auburn type thing and they are more than likely in. They both have a cake walk until November....just my opinion. Wonder how Auburn would be viewed if they beat UGA lost to UA, and misses SEC championship game...do you think Auburn is respected enough to get in like Bama did last season?

Actually Gus is in a enviable position for a coach who has ambition.  The schedules AU plays gives him an opportunity to play in multiple big games and have opportunities few other coaches have. Winning helps AU and Gus. Consistency helps with winning. Gotta overcome his High School past and be competitive, something he has struggled at. Can't lose to the patsies either. He has the stage and now is his time. 

10 minutes ago, auskull said:

Actually Gus is in a enviable position for a coach who has ambition.  The schedules AU plays gives him an opportunity to play in multiple big games and have opportunities few other coaches have. Winning helps AU and Gus. Consistency helps with winning. Gotta overcome his High School past and be competitive, something he has struggled at. Can't lose to the patsies either. He has the stage and now is his time. 

I hear what you are saying.....but just for example....#1 ranked Ga lost to AU at AU and then beat AU in the SEC game when AU was basically without a good RB....and then blew the championship game to a freshman QB.....and Smart is viewed as a young genius.   

So just wondering that maybe it is mostly AU people who don't respect AU and its coaching staff? :dunno:

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

mostly....but last year AU beat UGA and the media talk was about Georgia and Smart....and  then AU beat bama and the media talk was about bama and how they should still be in the playoffs.     Not worrying about that …..just saying that it's not gonna matter if AU hammers LSU this weekend, the media noise will be about Tua and bama ....count on it. 

You have selective memory AU64, seriously man.  A 2 loss AU team received tons of headlines and media attention after they beat both undefeated uga/uat.  AU was the hottest team in the country after the IB and all eyes were on our Tigers. 

The media attention rose such a high level that our HC jumped on that wave, and with the help of his agent was able to parlay a damn 7yr/$49mm guaranteed contract out of the AU Administration before the SECCG all because he threatened to leave for freaking Arkansas and that dumpster fire over there (what a joke)......AU went on to lose the SECCG and another damn bowl game :banghead:  while CGM had his hands firmly clutching that newly inked contract.

You have to earn respect and if a one program sustains success at an elite level for an extended period of time (a decade) they will automatically get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of the media and college football until another program kicks their ass off the mountain top.  

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I hear what you are saying.....but just for example....#1 ranked Ga lost to AU at AU and then beat AU in the SEC game when AU was basically without a good RB....and then blew the championship game to a freshman QB.....and Smart is viewed as a young genius.   

So just wondering that maybe it is mostly AU people who don't respect AU and its coaching staff? :dunno:

Quit averaging 4 losses a season and every damn bowl game expect the one in freaking Legion Field :puke: and I'm one fan that will respect the coaching staff!

As it stands right now today, I have hope because he's here for a long while.  He's got the talent he brought in, he's got his coaches, he's got the facilities, he's got the fans, he's got the Auburn community, he's got backing from a new and competent Administration, he's got the opportunity to do great things.  Now Just DO IT!

Archived