Auburn lacks the respect it deserves

WFE12

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I hear what you are saying.....but just for example....#1 ranked Ga lost to AU at AU and then beat AU in the SEC game when AU was basically without a good RB....and then blew the championship game to a freshman QB.....and Smart is viewed as a young genius.   

So just wondering that maybe it is mostly AU people who don't respect AU and its coaching staff? :dunno:

Interesting observation, 64.  This is exactly the scenario that we, as Auburn fans, experienced after the 2013 season with our offensive genius. We even blew the championship game to a freshman QB.

Time will tell regarding Smart as it has with Gus.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I hear what you are saying.....but just for example....#1 ranked Ga lost to AU at AU and then beat AU in the SEC game when AU was basically without a good RB....

So you're saying our current RB1 isn't good? B/c he stood on the sidelines watching that game less than 10 months ago despite being perfectly healthy and available. 

So just wondering that maybe it is mostly AU people who don't respect AU and its coaching staff? :dunno:

Don't respect them, or just offer an honest assessment of their strengths and weaknesses?

Lord knows it's only a small number of AU fans- 2 on this forum, to be exact- who consider them infallible. 

32 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting observation, 64.  This is exactly the scenario that we, as Auburn fans, experienced after the 2013 season with our offensive genius. We even blew the championship game to a freshman QB.

Time will tell regarding Smart as it has with Gus.  

Amen!

I swear some folks on here are getting dementia, Gus was thought of as a young offensive genius - a guru of sorts.  The media saw no reason why AU shouldn't have been in the hunt for another championship run in 2014 based on the returning talent and experience that got them to the NC in '13.  Gus was a hot commodity and his offense was dynamic, innovative and hard as hell to stop.

AU64 posted  #1 ranked Ga lost to AU at AU and then beat AU in the SEC game when AU was basically without a good RB.."  and then wonders if it's AU fans might disrespect the coaching staff??????????   WHY did AU not have a "good RB" to plug in when RB#1 went down?  

I have a hard time voicing respect for a coaching staff that ultimately chose to trot out an injured RB (who'd they'd already ran like a freight train all season to the point where he was worn ass out) for a championship game vs an opponent they'd obliterated only 2 weeks prior.  Poor roster management has bitten this staff in the butt on multiple occasions and all a fan can do is hope a lesson has been learned and better days are ahead.

Respect is like becoming a Marine. It's earned; never given.

Semper Fidelis. Never jealous.

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So you're saying our current RB1 isn't good? B/c he stood on the sidelines watching that game less than 10 months ago despite being perfectly healthy and available. 

Don't respect them, or just offer an honest assessment of their strengths and weaknesses?

Lord knows it's only a small number of AU fans- 2 on this forum, to be exact- who consider them infallible. 

I seem to remember that Kam Martin sustained a fairly bad ankle sprain in the bama game immediately after Kerryon went down.  They taped the crap out of it and sent him back in but you could tell he was hobbled.  I suspect that he was far from 100% for the championship game.

1 minute ago, eulessau said:

I seem to remember that Kam Martin sustained a fairly bad ankle sprain in the bama game immediately after Kerryon went down.  They taped the crap out of it and sent him back in but you could tell he was hobbled.  I suspect that he was far from 100% for the championship game.

I don't suspect that. He was definitely not as hurt as the guy who got most of the carries. And he averaged 5 yards a carry on the 4 carries he did get vs 3.4 for KJ. 

74 carries all of 2017 for our current RB1, despite Pettway only getting 15 total carries after September and not playing at all after October 21st. I'm not going to give our staff the benefit of the doubt on the SECCG. 

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I don't suspect that. He was definitely not as hurt as the guy who got most of the carries. And he averaged 5 yards a carry on the 4 carries he did get vs 3.4 for KJ. 

74 carries all of 2017 for our current RB1, despite Pettway only getting 15 total carries after September and not playing at all after October 21st. I'm not going to give our staff the benefit of the doubt on the SECCG. 

All I am saying is that he was not 100%.  I dealt with sprained ankles throughout my brief athletic career, and they do not heal in one week usually.  Ankle injuries can be very bothersome for backs who depend on their cutting ability.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Amen!

I swear some folks on here are getting dementia, Gus was thought of as a young offensive genius - a guru of sorts.  The media saw no reason why AU shouldn't have been in the hunt for another championship run in 2014 based on the returning talent and experience that got them to the NC in '13.  Gus was a hot commodity and his offense was dynamic, innovative and hard as hell to stop.

AU64 posted  #1 ranked Ga lost to AU at AU and then beat AU in the SEC game when AU was basically without a good RB.."  and then wonders if it's AU fans might disrespect the coaching staff??????????   WHY did AU not have a "good RB" to plug in when RB#1 went down?  

I have a hard time voicing respect for a coaching staff that ultimately chose to trot out an injured RB (who'd they'd already ran like a freight train all season to the point where he was worn ass out) for a championship game vs an opponent they'd obliterated only 2 weeks prior.  Poor roster management has bitten this staff in the butt on multiple occasions and all a fan can do is hope a lesson has been learned and better days are ahead.

Amen and Amen!

This year Gus has the opportunity, like other years, to actually develop a true RB rotation.  Not necessarily during the LSU game, but the rest of the season (other then the MSU and Texas A&M games), to develop RBs to go into Amen Corner in good shape.  Gus seemed to be a little different with his game planning and play calling this year.  We can only hope this is another phase of his coaching that will improve.

It’s not impossible to develop offensive talent in game situations, it just hasn’t been done.

Someone please tell me what SEC football player from any team who's on the 2 deep is at 100% by the time they've played 12 regular season games?  Kickers, long snappers, punters maybe?  Linemen, skill players, the top 2-3 RB's or WR's, Qbs will all have sprains, strains, bruises, broken ribs, taped ankles, braced knees, exhaustion, etc.  It's football, it's a long season, it's a brutal conference.

12 minutes ago, eulessau said:

All I am saying is that he was not 100%.  I dealt with sprained ankles throughout my brief athletic career, and they do not heal in one week usually.  Ankle injuries can be very bothersome for backs who depend on their cutting ability.

Tell me about it. I'm just a fat middle aged guy who plays soccer once a week and my ankle's been killing me since I rolled it last October. (I have played sports, whether competitively or recreationally, my entire life. That included a few seasons of high school football. And I have sustained dozens of minor ankle injuries. Playing soccer on summer-baked Alabama red clay in the 80s before anyone knew there were shoes other than molded cleats that, on that surface, might as well be dull ice skates is not great for ankles.)

*By December, it's hard to find a single guy in that locker room who is 100%. I personally do not believe that injury explains why Martin got such limited carries in the SECCG. 

*Edit: What @keesler said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24642039/college-football-week-3-game-picks?appsrc=sc

espn analysts- All 13 of them pick AU over lswho, but not one has us scoring over 30 points! Some respect showing here for sure.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Who was the third string RB that started in an Iron bowl victory running for more than 100 yds ?

Damned if I can remember. :(

You might be thinking of Trey Smith #22 in the 2002 Iron Bowl.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

YES!   :bow:

Ronnie Brown was RB1

Brown was the starter because Cadillac had gone down earlier in the season

Talk about running back depth.. 

39 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Brown was the starter because Cadillac had gone down earlier in the season

Talk about running back depth.. 

Yes.  

But the question is, is our depth really any different today, or was it - is it - a lack of confidence to use it?  I'm fine with feeding a hot hand but the more we spread the carries the better we will be.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yes.  

But the question is, is our depth really any different today, or was it - is it - a lack of confidence to use it?  I'm fine with feeding a hot hand but the more we spread the carries the better we will be.

It seems we have pretty good depth at the RB position, not experienced depth, but good depth.  One big difference is Bobby Patrino was the OC that year and his offensive philosophy and style is quit different than what we have today.  He could game plan to attach the defenses weaknesses.  

I believe Patrino left for Louisville after that season and left us high and dry.  Oh what could have been.

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Supposedly Pettway was in the doggest of doghouse...I personally dont give a dud how dogged a guy is, we literally lost a shoo-in playoffs because the heart of this offense (a not half dead RB) wasn't there for 3/4ths of the entire game

Gus and co should've been thrown into mud if they really didn't consider KP, even being completely cold, because of whatever nonsense he did. At least get your value out of investment my guy. Use him for that ONE game....get the rest for KJ and Kam before the playoffs....and put KP back on the bench. 

20 hours ago, keesler said:

You have to earn respect and if a one program sustains success at an elite level for an extended period of time (a decade) they will automatically get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of the media and college football until another program kicks their ass off the mountain top.  

I don't seem to remember UGA doing that...

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yes.  

I really feel like we have a trio of ball carriers who can make an impact in big games. Kam gives us experience and quickness, Boobee gives us size and power, and Shivers gives us speed with a little pop mixed in. Haven't seen enough of Asa to judge whether he's ready for the big time yet, and fumbling the ball the way he did certainly doesn't inspire confidence, but he has the talent. I would venture to say we are in a better position at RB than we have been in years, depth wise.

17 hours ago, toddc said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24642039/college-football-week-3-game-picks?appsrc=sc

espn analysts- All 13 of them pick AU over lswho, but not one has us scoring over 30 points! Some respect showing here for sure.

If the offense shows up to its potential, this game could get ugly, because I think they can score 35-40 against LSU (as well as everyone else we play before Amen Corner), and the defense shouldn't give up more than 21 against anybody we play unless we sustain significant injuries.

That said, when I've felt this good about a game in the past, it hasn't turned out well for the orange and blue, so I'm still rather leery.

21 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Its jacked to me because UGA/UA have a clear path to playoff. Even if Bama loses to AU they are more than likely gonna back there way in again. Auburn is the only challenger to Bama. They play no one else of significance. UGA’s only bump in the road is Auburn and they get us at home. I know they both are good teams but there schedules are basically a beat Auburn type thing and they are more than likely in. They both have a cake walk until November....just my opinion. Wonder how Auburn would be viewed if they beat UGA lost to UA, and misses SEC championship game...do you think Auburn is respected enough to get in like Bama did last season?

This year, yes. We’ve already cleared the UW hurdle. Now we need to take care of LSU and MSU. If we do that, our resume will be good enough to split vs UGA and UAT and still get in. At least that’s what I believe. 

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I don't seem to remember UGA doing that...

UGA hasn’t been at the elite level for an extended time, but they have consistently been a 10 win team over a long period of time. 

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

UGA hasn’t been at the elite level for an extended time, but they have consistently been a 10 win team over a long period of time. 

That's fair enough, because consistency does buy confidence, but Auburn has had 2 undefeated seasons in the last 15 years, including a national championship and another year that we played for the national championship. Not to mention that we beat the top ranked team in the land two out of three of the last games of the season last year.

But yeah, I still understand what you're getting at. We've been up and down, plus we lost the Peach in humiliating fashion at the end of last season.

However, I like the idea of not getting the respect we deserve. We play better in those circumstances, and if the team can get that edge (not to mention the revenge for last year in Baton Rouge), then we could beat LSU handily, which might well bump us up to the top 5. That said, I'd kinda rather see a slugfest where we win by 7-10 points so that we keep getting questions about how we might fare in a true road game. I mean, we'll get those questions anyway, but beating LSU by 2-3 touchdowns would drown it out in a lot of ways. I kind of like the idea of having doubters, something to give the coaches to use in firing up the team.

Archived