Dixie 1860 Passes Away

AU-24

RIP Jay! You will be missed.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, especially his wife & daughter who I believe he adopted.

He posted on AUC the past few years the most so I'm going to DM Keith about the passing & see if he will post it on their message board.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found this story on AUC & wanted to share.

Here’s a short story on how Dixie helped me one day.

I learned of Dixie and his connection to his family’s business through our posting on this site. His family owns a very successful and well thought of Electrical Company. Back when I was in my former position, one day I was in charge of trouble shooting a certain problem with a certain public facility, which his business did the initial installation on. I had a theory on what the source of the problem was, and in an attempt avoid a lot of hands on trouble shooting, I sent Dixie a pm through this site. I left him my cell number, and he gave me a text. Dixie hooked me up with one of the lead guys on the project, and within minutes, I had a meeting set up with this gentleman the following morning, which included some very important people concerning this project.

Long story short : everyone was amazed at how I was able to set up this meeting. Everyone was amazed that I had that gentleman agree to be at this meeting. Everyone was amazed that this gentleman confirmed my theory, and it ended up saving a lot of cash in regards to material and labor cost.

All of this happened simply because Dixie placed a call to that gentleman, put us in contact with each other, and told that gentleman to do anything he could to help me with any situation concerning a couple of facilities that company did the installation on.

Dixie was very helpful to old Double B, and I will greatly miss his posting on AUC.

The aforementioned electric company his family has owned for a long time is Dixie Electric. The same DE that is big in parts of Alabama & Georgia.

My wife was the office manager for a custom home builter in metro Atl. and they used Dixie Electric for certain size/dollar homes. She did not know Jay at the time she was there this was back in 2005. Never had a problem in dealing with them. 

This was also posted on AU 247 and I want to share it here also. My thanks to AU-24 who has been a great friend to Dixie for years and a friend to myself who has given me the courage to write this about Dixie. Thanks 24.

You know - I did not agree 100% with everything Dixie posted myself. As someone mentioned, he did like to stir the pot sometimes just to get a rise from some. He always seemed to enjoy a good debate. Sometimes those might have gotten a little sideways, but there was one thing that you could count on Dixie being right on with every post he made. His love for all things Auburn was always foremost in what he posted and he made no bones about it. Right, wrong or indifferent he was and has been one of the most true blue blood AU fans on this planet. He could have gone to any major school in the country but he chose Auburn, after he was converted from the dark side. That's right- Yes he once was a Bear Bryant fan. (Bet you never knew that did you?)

After enrolling in Auburn in 1990 he ate, slept, read, studied and I think he even dreamed about his beloved Auburn Tigers Football Team. He could name most if not all starters and major players since 1990 and many before. He followed recruiting every day of the year. He did not like anyone critersizing any AU players even if they did not measure up to what he or others thought they should unless they became troublemakers or slackers. After all, he would say "these are very young men not far removed from high school". He could be critical of coaches sometimes if he thought they messed up, however, he never thought a coach would really want to lose a game on purpose. That made no sense to him nor does it make sense to most.

He was a loving husband, father, brother and son to his family. He rarely ever finished a conversation that did not include "I love you". Yes he passed much too young. But he is in a much better world than we are are today. He will be missed by many including myself.

You ask- And how do you know all this about Jay? Well-Jay is my son. And if you look up tomorrow on row 42 in section 28 you will see his seat #25 on end of the row right next to mine.

Thank you all for all the kind comforting remarks in this post.

P.S. - He was laid to rest in his favorite #55 white AU jersey. The one he chose when he followed Carl Lawson from high school to the NFL.

Thanks for sharing that @luther.

I know Dixie's dad is following this memorial thread as well. You had one hell of a son, sir. No parent should ever have to bury their child. He may not be in JHS physically tomorrow, but he'll be right there in seat #25.

War Eagle, Jay. 

Holy crap. I just put 2 and 2 together and realized this is the same dixie from AU247. WOW. This is so sad. He was such a character. He had a very upbeat and energetic way of posting. I may of not agreed with him about ohhhhh ANYTHING related to football but he had a great heart and passion for Auburn University. That can never be denied. 48? Wow. Way way way to young. RIP Dixie. You will def always be remembered.

May God bless your family with peace and may you RIP.  I know you will be watching the games from a better standpoint than we have, and put in a word to the man upstairs to let Auburn win big this year and years to come!

Just want to thank you all for the prayers and thoughts during this time for our family. This is really what Auburn is all about. We all may have our different opinions about what's right or what's wrong with Auburn Football but we all need to remember that football and all college athletics are nothing more than a game. and there will wins and there will losses. But the one game that we all should win is the game of a living a good life while here on earth. We only have one ref to call this game and he gets it right 100% of the time. Doesn't need replays either. 

I have to admit that I was sorely disappointed in the outcome of yesterday's game. I do have my opinion about why we lost and yes I believe it two fold. 1st is that we did not play our best game both offensively and defensively. I don't blame that on any players or any coaches. It is just what happens in some games. 2nd is that based on my limited observation and that of some very knowledgeable football minds that even though the number of penalties and yards lost were somewhat close to even, the timing of 2 major calls and 1 no -call were critical to the outcome of that game. Should we have been in that position in the 4th - no. But that should not have been the deciding factor in the outcome of the game.  

I will leave you with this comment by a very dear friend of Jay. "Knowing Jay like I do I bet Jay has been put into Time-Out up there after this game".

Thanks again for sharing your remembrances of Jay. 

Archived