Be safe, our Carolinas AUFamily members!

AUsince72

31 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

My grandmother’s house in Pawley’s Island, SC ended up with 6 feet of water in  it during Hugo.  Everything had to be ripped out and replaced.  Unfortunately, she did not have flood insurance.

yep...back in the day insurance was generally not available..... now however, our condo community down there has us covered now but we are away from the water a bit and at about 12 feet of elevation though last year a couple units closer to the salt marsh got a about two feet of water...which in terms of repairs is about as bad as 6 feet it seems...carpets and walls and often the electrical ruined....and the AC units of course in some places. .....  

Biggest thing is, even if you have insurance …..recovery takes forever....people not able to get back into their houses/condos for many months. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

bird never pays for anything after 10 long years I should know. He is a cheap ass............see if he remember the time in San Antonio Rivercenter Mall Hooters. 

Perhaps what you were hoping he'd pay for wasn't actually on the menu?

Hooters can be a confusing place.

14 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Charleston Hugo had just moved there living in a company apartment until our house was completed. Well house was gone next day but thank goodness for us it was only on week three of construction

House was being built in Goose Creek

Golf, are you still in GC? I'm in Summerville. 

Here in Charlotte we are expecting anywhere from 5-12 inches of rain. 30- 60 mph wind gusts. Tornado watches will pop up soon I'm sure.

3 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Here in Charlotte we are expecting anywhere from 5-12 inches of rain. 30- 60 mph wind gusts. Tornado watches will pop up soon I'm sure.

Stay safe.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

Right there with you, brother.  I'm in Cabarrus County.  

Saw this on FB:  Southern word of the day:  Namaste

As in; are you going to evacuate?

Namaste right here.

Just wind so far just north on Charlotte, we’re expecting a lot of rain.

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

In the Queen City here, as well. 

The important question: do you have a place you’d go to try to watch the game, should we lose power early tomorrow? 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:14 AM, AUsince72 said:

I'm saying prayers for y'all in the Carolinas and Va & Ga coasts.  Stay safe from Florence and God bless!

Very nice of you 72. I made it to Charlotte from W Virginia today with nothing happening (yet). Have to hit the road again Monday- could be dicey?

2 hours ago, EclecticTiger said:

In the Queen City here, as well. 

The important question: do you have a place you’d go to try to watch the game, should we lose power early tomorrow? 

That is a really good question would love to hear an answer!

Florence just idling it seems....

We are about 100+ miles east of Charlotte and similar distance north of Columbia, SC...and nothing so far.....no rain, light breeze and temp in upper 70s.  If Florence was not there taking aim at us I would say it is a perfect mountain evening for September.

Still thinking of you all in the path. My daughter is getting annoyed that I keep calling and checking on her. She lives in Cary, NC. So far, they have had just a moderate amount of rain. She said it was a big flop where they live. This momma is grateful, but still thinking of those who have had damage or may have damage to come. Hope it loses all its energy and just dies in its tracks. Go away, Flo! We are already tired of you!!!

11 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Still thinking of you all in the path. My daughter is getting annoyed that I keep calling and checking on her. She lives in Cary, NC. So far, they have had just a moderate amount of rain. She said it was a big flop where they live. This momma is grateful, but still thinking of those who have had damage or may have damage to come. Hope it loses all its energy and just dies in its tracks. Go away, Flo! We are already tired of you!!!

Tough to make a living predicting hurricanes.....still just modest winds here but power out a couple hours this morning from a fallen limb but just back on.  Got all the things inside or under cover than could blow around.....so bring it on I guess.   

Granddaughter missed 3 days of school at NC State but had work to do on line while here but looks like they shut down the campus prematurely....if you want to second guess things....and she is due back on Monday.  Should be right in the middle of the heavy rains if the current path and progress rate hold. 

BUT good that winds are down to a modest rate at least. ...and prayers for the power company people out there working in those conditions. 

Archived