10 years ago today

Brad_ATX

20 hours ago, logan adams said:

What terrible football...

We won our first national championship with that kind of football - brick wall defense and "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.  

For better or worse, Dye had that mentality.  And some of us have a nostalgic memory of it also. ;)

4 hours ago, MCPeePants said:

I was in Vegas for that game and placed my first sports' bet on that spread (it was 7 or 9).  I said goodbye to my 20 at halftime and was just relieved we won.  That was the game Lester luckily wasn't severely injured.

Have you placed a bet since?  :laugh:

2 hours ago, AUStew87 said:

I cussed and yelled a lot that night! Because of that game, my two dogs leave the room every time when I put my AU gameday jersey on. Seriously, for the last 10 years, they have left whatever room I was in when they see that jersey on me. Blessed to still have those two dogs though, truly some of my best friends ever!

Edit: As fellow AU fans, you know there have been several more games since that had added to my dog's perception of that jersey. 

That gave me such a mental image - you walk in the room in your jersey, dogs think "we're outta here!"  :laugh:

Dogs miss nothing.

Watched the game from the Bulldog box  suites that evening and recall being so embarrassed by our play that the joy of winning escaped me. Cowbells fell silent and the crowd as well. Easily the most boring game I ever watched. 

2 hours ago, fredst said:

Kept track of that game while I was at an event on my phone with ESPN gamecast. Could not believe what was unfolding and that the only points we gave up were from a freakin' holding penalty in the endzone

I've said it before, 2008 was the most excited I've ever been coming into a season (was too young to follow heading into 2003). I was stunned. :(

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why would you want to?  How many schools can say they won a football game 3-2?!  I'll brag about that until I'm dead.

And not only that, we were directly responsible for all 5 points! ?

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Today is the 10 year anniversary of 3-2.

Nearly as bad as watching Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball” music video for 60 minutes straight.

I love that video. It’s still as funny today as it was in 2008. Like the football version of Coming to America. 

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

I've said it before, 2008 was the most excited I've ever been coming into a season (was too young to follow heading into 2003). I was stunned. :(

The whole fan base (well those young enough to not hate the idea of a spread offense) felt that way.  After the Peach Bowl how could we not be?

7 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This was like watching “The View”

No, should one chance to accidentally see The View pop up on one's screen, it's easy to flip to another channel. An Auburn game cannot be turned off!

This was my first year actually getting heavily invested into football. I would have been barely 15 and I was baffled about the penalty being a safety.

It’s been a long time since I thought about our very painful transition into a spread offense. Would have never guessed back then that it would become the norm.

My dad still thinks we should be running I-Formation with Joiner at FB and Boobbee at RB. War Eagle.

I realize that a win is a win I'm glad we came out on top, but my heart can do without games like that. We should couldn't move the ball for anything in that game.

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I realize that a win is a win I'm glad we came out on top, but my heart can do without games like that. We should couldn't move the ball for anything in that game.

I recall that game in a general sense and MSU could have played AU all night and not scored....

On 9/13/2018 at 11:23 AM, augolf1716 said:

Greatest game of all time..................................

I thought it was 15 years ago when we played that game! I think this is Golf's favorite game of all time!

Archived