Player Departures 2018-19

Zeek

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Jarrett Stidham was tinkering last year about going. No way he stays after this year. Also, I am sure as a grown man, he would like to make a lot more money for himself, no? Never understood the idea that someone would stay just because their family isn’t hurting for money. 

That says more about you than anyone else.

... that's meant as a tremendous compliment by the way.

Stidham or “Stud ham” as my autocorrect calls him and Drew Lock will definitely be high up on NFL draft boards.  Stidham has nice size, arm strength, and accuracy.  Biggest gripe with Stidham is his play under pressure.  He still panics a bit which was evident in the 2nd half of UW.  When Auburn can’t run the ball Stidhams game goes down the tubes as well.

42 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

This just surprises me... I think he still has a lot of development to do. He could be really successful at a team built like the Patriots but oh well, I wish the best for him!

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

This just surprises me... I think he still has a lot of development to do. He could be really successful at a team built like the Patriots but oh well, I wish the best for him!

Why? He’s the perfect NFL QB. Yeah he can still work on his pocket presence but his technique is great. 

The potential drop off on defense frightens me. I know we have talent and I believe in Coach Steele but dang.. all of those play makers gone in one swoop is hard to replace!

This should come as no surprise to most, but during the Washington game I had a very credible source tell me Stidham is planning on going pro. I didn’t push much further than that as I was asking questions about other players, but that was my little nugget on Stidham. 

Sorry that seems kinda vague. 

It used to make me upset when someone would leave early.  No longer.  A player’s body only has so many hits it can take.  Playing in the SEC is very tough on you.  Leave when its a good choice, make some money while you can, and come back get your education after your playing days are done.  Guess what?  You can ALWAYS go to school. 

On 9/13/2018 at 4:55 PM, aubiefifty said:

the only hope i have of stidham returning is i read where his and his future wife's family both have big money. i did not fact check it but i believed it and i hope i stidham might have more to prove if say he does not win the heisman. i believe like you another year would benefit him. i do not see it but i am sure he still has some rust in some area's that he could improve on. but if he goesi would have no hard feelings and wish him well. as for number five i hope he stays. i wish sensei mud had stayed. i believe him leaving was a mistake. heck he does not even have a rookie card. but the future looks to be bright. our talent level is enough to help us win any games we play and i believe gus is improving as well.

Stidham is so far out of the Heisman race, he will not be invited to watch the ceremony. In fact, there are multiple QB's better than him at this point. That's not considering many more players at other positions that would show up before him.I will offer that he is strides better than most of our recent QB's, he is not a real candidate for the Heisman honor.

On 9/13/2018 at 5:28 PM, LKEEL75 said:

These are the 2 I was thinking on the fence.  Coe is going to have to come up big though since this is his first year getting extensive playing time.  

However, I do believe that MD could very likely be gone.  MD & DB are two of the most disruptive forces on the DL.  I could see the 2 of them moving on after this year.  Don't get me wrong, I SO HOPE THEY STAY 1 MORE YEAR.  But I doubt it.

Based on yesterday's performances, none of the linemen will go in the first round and maybe not in the second. To be drafted that high, you have to show continuous high level performance. They seem to be too up and down and not consistent throughout the season.

5 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Jarrett is most likely counting the days that he'll leave early. Two years with Malzahn is more then enough.

You can leave out the Gus comment. CL is coaching stidham. But yes he is gone after this year.  

Goes to show how little I know about football. The Stidham I see is a good college QB, not great, and not an NFL QB. I have not looked at the box score but I have a feeling the QB at LSU had similar numbers and I don't think he's on the draft board. This is not to dog Stidham in any way. I just think if he was really as elite as the hype, we would have won yesterday's game by 21+. To be clear, I am not laying the loss at his feet, just saying, if he was a top 3 QB in the nation we likely go to the playoffs at the least.

21 hours ago, thewhiz7 said:

Goes to show how little I know about football. The Stidham I see is a good college QB, not great, and not an NFL QB. I have not looked at the box score but I have a feeling the QB at LSU had similar numbers and I don't think he's on the draft board. This is not to dog Stidham in any way. I just think if he was really as elite as the hype, we would have won yesterday's game by 21+. To be clear, I am not laying the loss at his feet, just saying, if he was a top 3 QB in the nation we likely go to the playoffs at the least.

He would not be drafted with the idea of starting for any NFL team right away. He has the arm and (mostly) the mechanics that the NFL is looking for in QB talent. Some of the throws he made against LSU were great. He made some poor decisions too but it happens. He'll likely be a 1st round pick this year unless he implodes just because the QB class isn't deep.

I don't think any other team except maybe Alabama will have DBs as aggressive as LSU, especially if we finally get clicking with our deep balls using those lightning fast receivers, so I don't expect him to have another 2+ int performance. (At least that you can pin directly on him like we can with LSU.)

Biggest difference between Stidham and Burrow this weekend was that Burrow had ample protection and was very calm in the pocket when pressured. Stidham gets wayyyy too antsy under pressure and starts moving around and loses sight of his receivers. Great example is the play where he scrambled right and had Sal WIDE open for a TD if he had seen him but instead he focused in on whomever was right in front of him because he was scared of taking a sack.

(I say all this as an armchair QB who had the benefit of not running for his life as 250+ lbs of linemen close in on him.) :D

Jarrett Stidham's stats so far...

Comp   Att       Yards    Comp%      Avg       Lng     Td    Int  Sacks     QBR

Season 48 75 584 64.0 7.79 57 3 2 3 137.3

Archived