Trump pushes conspiracy theory about Puerto Rico death toll

homersapien

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Did it increase? If it gets as cold here as last winter I am headed further south for a while.

Yes.  In fact, it's been increasing for decades and is now increasing at an increasing rate.

I can direct you to sources that will educate you on this if it's not too inconvenient for you to learn about it.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yes.  In fact, it's been increasing for decades and is now increasing at an increasing rate.

I can direct you to sources that will educate you on this if it's not too inconvenient for you to learn about it.

What is the end game? Assuming I trust your sources . What am I to that that differs from the way I live now. Feel sure that I am just as much a steward of our environment as you. 

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

What is the end game? Assuming I trust your sources . What am I to that that differs from the way I live now. Feel sure that I am just as much a steward of our environment as you. 

Since you ask, I'll answer your second question first.  Accept the fact it's happening and recognize we can do things to mitigate it. 

What that means is that you consider the effects of your carbon "footprint" on every purchase choice you make.  That doesn't mean you have to make radical changes - at least not yet - but if you are choosing between two vehicles (for example) consider the fuel economy and what you really need in the equation. Similarly, energy efficiency should be a factor in everything you do and purchase. Simple denial is not a valid response.

And I certainly am not holding up myself as an exemplary example of conservation.  Hell, I own a high performance sports car (26 mpg) which is mostly a garage queen. My daily driver is a VW Golf Sportwagen (27-28 mpg) and I have a Toyota work truck (23 mpg).  When I was driving a lot of commuter miles, I drove a Hond CRX (30+) mpg. I am retired now and probably don't put more than a combined 5,000 miles a year on my vehicles, so I don't feel too guilty about owning them.  But my next DD - if I ever get one - will undoubtedly be a hybrid or full electric. Add to that, a swimming pool and diesel tractor (probably 24 gallons of diesel/yr)

On the other hand, I live in a passive solar house and have invested in a solar farm through my electric coop that offsets much of what electricity I use.  We've had several months in which our power bill was zero.  All of that doesn't mean I am not still part of the problem, but at least I don't consume carbon as if there is no problem and I invest in conservation and off-sets.

Our society as a whole is still very, very wasteful.  The reason there are so many SUV's on the road is not because people really need such a vehicle.  We could reduce our carbon emissions by a huge amount and not significantly affect our lifestyle. This is no time to be relaxing regulations that promote conservation.  (I'd feel even more strongly if I had any progeny to consider.)

We already have a 2+ degree temperature rise "baked in".   Simply cutting back on consumption will at least buy us more time to make the necessary conversion away from carbon. 

Longer term, we are going to have to replace carbon as our primary energy source, or develop ways to remove the greenhouse gases that are already there (highly unlikely IMO.)

Again, if you want to know what happens if we don't, I can provide some references, but it ain't pretty.  You can't fool mother nature and get away with it.

Bottom line, I don't know what you can do that you aren't already doing, but based on your apparent fatalistic attitude, I suspect there's room for improvement. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Was I wrong?

I believe so. I realize that in your mind you are never wrong but bad observation.

On 9/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, homersapien said:

Our society as a whole is still very, very wasteful.  The reason there are so many SUV's on the road is not because people really need such a vehicle

I am with you on this.  I guess so many people drive SUV's because of comfort and people seem to not mind a car payment and high gas mileage. I drove a Tahoe for years as a work vehicle and only because it suited my project needs at the time. I found it glutenous when it came to fuel. Much worse than a truck at that time.  

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

I believe so. I realize that in your mind you are never wrong but bad observation.

It seems to me that you have often posted  comments about AGW - including this thread - that suggest the threat either doesn't exist, or that nothing can be done about it if it does.

But I am open to you convincing me otherwise.

Finally, that's just BS about me thinking I am never wrong. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

It seems to me that you have often posted  comments about AGW - including this thread - that suggest the threat either doesn't exist, or that nothing can be done about it if it does.

Find one. I have only posted that leftist use AGW as political tool.

Archived