Through their eyes: LSU-AU Rivalry

WFE12

Through their eyes: Five signature moments from Auburn-LSU rivalry

AUBURN, Ala. – There's something about the Auburn-LSU rivalry. It's usually hot. It's physical. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for something quirky to happen. But more than anything, it's a game that has had significant implications over the years for both teams and for the SEC West.  

"It's usually early, so there's a lot on the line," former Auburn player and current ESPN analyst Cole Cubelic said. "It's like being on the tee box playing a Par-5 for the SEC West. You win that game, that's a 320-yard drive right down the pipe. You're in good position for an eagle all of a sudden. You lose that game, and it's like you're taking a drop out of the water off the tee box.

"It can set up so much for your entire season, and because of some of the crazy stuff that's happened in the last 10-20 years, it's made it a little bit more of a rivalry game as well."

Here's a look back at some of the more memorable games from the past 25 years through the eyes of the players and broadcasters who took part in them.

Daniel Carlson: 2016 (Auburn 18, LSU 13) 

"Looking back on it, it was one of those tough games. It was obviously at home. LSU had a great team coming in, and I think we had both kind of been struggling early on that year. That game was kind of a deciding moment for how the rest of the season was going to go. Obviously, we came out on top and ended up with a pretty good season that year. LSU on the other hand, they fired their coaching staff and started from scratch after that.

"For me personally, it was really special to be able to help the team get the win. Kicking six field goals, that doesn't happen very often. I was just fortunate to be able to help the team in that way and do my job each time my name was called. It was a special team win, and I think a good turning point for that season."

Rod Bramblett: 2010 (Auburn 24, LSU 17) 

"We already knew what we had in Cam, but I thought that was the game that he may have won the Heisman with his touchdown run that everybody's seen. He drags Patrick Peterson, supposedly the best defensive player in the country, into the end zone. Just ran right through his grasp. That run will always be the thing that stands out in that game because it established Cam as the Heisman. That was the play that if it didn't win him the Heisman, it put him at the top at that moment.

"The other play I remember about that game – a lot of people forget, that was a close game – but it was the play call to Onterio McCalebb to run the jet sweep around left end, and he turns it upfield and just outraces everybody to the end zone for the game-winning touchdown. That's a play that I think a lot of people forget because of the Cam touchdown run. It was Onterio's run that really sparked that game and was one of those electrifying moments from that 2010 season."

Jason Campbell: 2004 (Auburn 10, LSU 9)

"There were like 15 or 20 NFL prospects on the field at one time. It was a real tough matchup, and we knew it was going to be that way. What made that week harder was because of Hurricane Ivan. We didn't get a chance to practice outside all week. We had to stay in a hotel inside of Auburn because they evacuated the campus and all that. But the coach kept the football team there in Auburn, and we did walk-throughs every day inside the hotel. I remember the first time all week I was actually throwing live, full-speed passes was in pre-game getting ready for the game."

On game-winning touchdown pass

"We were on the 15-yard line. It was third-and-12, and we called an empty formation, motioned Carnell [Williams] out of the backfield to the left. We got the matchups that we wanted, caught them in a zone defense and we ran the "Double Stick 9" – two outs and an up route on the inside, and whichever one the safety bites on, we throw it to the other guy. The guy bit on [Ben] Obamanu up the middle, and we were able to hit Courtney Taylor in the back of end zone. The place just went crazy. That's probably the loudest I've heard it at Auburn.

"Then I remember the extra point. At first when he missed it, I was like 'You've got to be kidding me. Not after all this.' But I remember a flag being down. That year they had put the rule in that you couldn't jump over the center. It was to protect the center. They jumped exactly over the center, and we got an extra kick and made it. Then [Junior] Rosegreen got the interception to seal the game, and the place went crazy. That was probably one of the best college games I've ever been a part of and definitely probably the hardest-hitting game I've ever been a part of – college or pro."

Cole Cubelic: 1999 (Auburn 41, LSU 7)

"The fact that we're celebrating on the field at Tiger Stadium the last time we won there – that probably would be No. 1. I remember Ben Leard threw a bunch of fades, and they couldn't cover them. Damon Duval ran in a fake field goal for a touchdown. It was over pretty fast. I think there were about 20,000 people in the seats when the game ended and about 8,000 of those were Auburn fans. It was a huge game for us because it was obviously Tuberville's first year and a big win for him.

"But the '97 game was pretty special. Dameyune [Craig] brings us back, 98-yard drive, goes to overtime. That one was really cool. When LSU scored late in that game, it was probably as loud as I've ever heard a stadium as a player. Beating them at home our senior year with my former offensive line coach and offensive coordinator on the other side of the ball coaching for LSU, that was pretty cool. I was a redshirt freshman the fire game. Being down there just watching that happen – nobody really knew exactly what was going on. You didn't even know if you were safe or not. That was kind of crazy. A lot of good memories. A lot of crazy memories from that game."

Charlie Trotman: 1994 (Auburn 30, LSU 26) 

"That was crazy. LSU really had a substantial lead in the game, and all they needed to do was basically run the ball in the fourth quarter. For some reason, every time they got to third down they went ahead and threw it. In the latter third or fourth quarter, I think Auburn intercepted four or five passes. It was just incredible. Not only did they intercept them, but they ran two or three of the back for touchdowns. We were going nuts up in the booth because we couldn't believe that Curley Hallman was still throwing the ball.

"It seemed like the crowd was as mystified by Curley Hallman throwing the ball as they were by the plays that Auburn was making. They just got louder and louder as Auburn got closer and scored, and when the interceptions kept piling up, it was almost like people were turning to each other saying, 'Are you kidding me? Did we really just see that?' It was a wild day."

Thanks for posting @WFE12. Love reading this type of stuff from the ones who were there. Loved Cole's analogy, in position for an eagle, not that I've ever known how that feels. ?

I think tomorrow will be one of those games where we come out to play and will play hard all 60 minutes and come out on top with a hard fought victory for the TIgers in orange and blue!

I remember the 94’ game and to this day don’t understand what LSU was trying to do on offense in the 3rd and 4th quarter. It is a game that can be considered one of the best comebacks by the way the Auburn defense intercepted so many passes and ran so many back for touchdowns. And yet can also be considered one of the epic collapses by an offense by continually passing instead of running and letting their defense shut Auburn down like they had done all game. 

56 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I remember the 94’ game and to this day don’t understand what LSU was trying to do on offense in the 3rd and 4th quarter. It is a game that can be considered one of the best comebacks by the way the Auburn defense intercepted so many passes and ran so many back for touchdowns. And yet can also be considered one of the epic collapses by an offense by continually passing instead of running and letting their defense shut Auburn down like they had done all game. 

Pretty sure that the LSU PTB knew Curley was gonna be a goner after that game.

2 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Just realized how much this parallels the game last year for LSU.  I guess we are even now.  Our coach kept running the ball while their coach kept passing the ball.  Both ended up being the largest comebacks in the series for the team.  

5 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I remember my father asking "why in hell didn't LSU just feed 'Cecil the diesel' ".  :dunno:

Archived