GwillMac6

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Mark Richt just donated $1 million

Saban donated $1 million for athletics facilities

Taggert $1 million at FSU

So again name the coach that has donated $2 mill?

36 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

So again name the coach that has donated $2 mill?

big deal about the number until one sees the percentage of the overall investment.  The point is coaches often donate to University facilities, most of the time it goes unknown because that is not why they do it.  It happens at all levels of college athletics, the price usually fits with their contract.  Also, there are other reasons, but I am not gonna state those here.

The news of the donation was great to hear yesterday. It's just as great today regardless of the outcome of the game. Some of the comments on here are simply tacky and uncalled for. Gus showing his commitment. Others showing theirs by their comments. 

4 hours ago, auburnphan said:

big deal about the number until one sees the percentage of the overall investment.  The point is coaches often donate to University facilities, most of the time it goes unknown because that is not why they do it.  It happens at all levels of college athletics, the price usually fits with their contract.  Also, there are other reasons, but I am not gonna state those here.

The point is I asked you what coach has donated $2 million to a football only facility? Still waiting for your answer.

Great move by Gus and shows who we have as a coach: a guy that will mostly represent the university with class, run a “clean” program, and promote that “family” vibe that we seem to cherish at AU. He’ll also be a 8-4/9-3 guy for the most part. But, with the exception of 2014, he’ll at least deliver an inept performance as HC early enough in the year that we can put to rest any thoughts of a championship and enjoy the rest of the fall watching our beloved above-average Tigers rack up those 8-9 wins. $7 million/year seems like a bargain for that kind of peace of mind! War Damn Gus!

44 minutes ago, gr82be said:

The news of the donation was great to hear yesterday. It's just as great today regardless of the outcome of the game. Some of the comments on here are simply tacky and uncalled for. Gus showing his commitment. Others showing theirs by their comments. 

deserves thumbs up.........fresh out so I give this one?

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

I wonder what kind of football only facility we can get for 2 million. 

Silverdome still looking for a buyer. This looks to be in line with what we want in facilities lately.......

silverdome.jpg

Sounds like a lot of people want to give to give money back?  :dunno:  But I am sure we can count on them to make it up.

Donation is a $2mil pledge over 5 years. While it's a lot of money, it is tax deductible and many rich folks use these kinds of things to dump money away from taxable income. 

Meanwhile, I think it's the least of our concerns. 

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Donation is a $2mil pledge over 5 years. While it's a lot of money, it is tax deductible and many rich folks use these kinds of things to dump money away from taxable income. 

Meanwhile, I think it's the least of our concerns. 

This is true.  It’s part of what I do for a living actually.  However, typically they first set up a private or public foundation first which it does not appear they did.  It’s very common to do it over a period of time as well.  Usually there are parameters to meet at certain checkpoints to get the next sum of cash.  Harbert Family did this.  

11 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I wonder what kind of football only facility we can get for 2 million. My guess is it will match the back of the jumbotron and stadium perfectly.

A 5,000 sf building, if we're lucky.

I still think it's great. Gus has been pushing for it for years and was willing to throw his own money into it. I'd love to give back to Auburn myself, but I am in no position to do so at this point in my life. Maybe never. lol

For the long term health of the football program, we need this facility asap. Regardless of who is the coach or not, the facility should not be based on who is or is not coaching.  This and upgrades to JHS could put us back in the top 4 or 5 in the conference. Heck even Mizzou is spending big bucks on their facilities.

Archived