LSU postgame thread (merged threads)

TAYLORKEETON

Look let’s be honest. First it really doesn’t matter if we get back to the DT QB like Cam and Nick. Early on Gus’s bell and whistles was new and folks fell for it. Heck uat runs a better version of the HUNH than we do now. So do a lot other SEC teams. The real problem here is that good coaches like NS and bowl cut learn to adapt. They went out and recruited smaller faster DBs and LBs to counter it. They taught their folks how to read the RPO. Football is like a chess game. It’s about counter moves as well as offensive moves. Truth is Gus hasn’t figured that out. The other part is Gus is a nice guy just in the wrong profession. As a good coach you have to make your guys both physically strong as well as mentally strong. At the top level of any sport all teams have quality players. The winners also have mental toughness. Gus doesn’t have it so our players don’t either. It’s a shame because these guys are quality players. They just don’t have the grit and the will not to lose. That comes from the coach. I have played for both types. I promise I would rather play for the tough coach that teaches me to reach inside of me. One that challenges me everyday and every play. One that can find a way to even educate me when I make a good play by pointing out it still wasn’t all I could do. If Gus is ever going to be successful he is going to have to get some fire in his gut. He can’t say “ well we just didn’t he it done, maybe next time” he has to come and say “ this was not acceptable and we will make changes of personal to ensure that folks understand this was not acceptable “  There has to be a price to pay for mistakes or you’ll continue to make them. 

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Look let’s be honest. First it really doesn’t matter if we get back to the DT QB like Cam and Nick. Early on Gus’s bell and whistles was new and folks fell for it. Heck uat runs a better version of the HUNH than we do now. So do a lot other SEC teams. The real problem here is that good coaches like NS and bowl cut learn to adapt. They went out and recruited smaller faster DBs and LBs to counter it. They taught their folks how to read the RPO. Football is like a chess game. It’s about counter moves as well as offensive moves. Truth is Gus hasn’t figured that out. The other part is Gus is a nice guy just in the wrong profession. As a good coach you have to make your guys both physically strong as well as mentally strong. At the top level of any sport all teams have quality players. The winners also have mental toughness. Gus doesn’t have it so our players don’t either. It’s a shame because these guys are quality players. They just don’t have the grit and the will not to lose. That comes from the coach. I have played for both types. I promise I would rather play for the tough coach that teaches me to reach inside of me. One that challenges me everyday and every play. One that can find a way to even educate me when I make a good play by pointing out it still wasn’t all I could do. If Gus is ever going to be successful he is going to have to get some fire in his gut. He can’t say “ well we just didn’t he it done, maybe next time” he has to come and say “ this was not acceptable and we will make changes of personal to ensure that folks understand this was not acceptable “  There has to be a price to pay for mistakes or you’ll continue to make them. 

#MikeSingletarytoAuburn ? 

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I am not disputing here, but the question I always ask is WHO? Besides Saban, Smart, Swinney and maybe urban; who can do what some want on here? Many thought Tom Herman was the up and comer. Nope. Gary Anderson was a name. No. Chip Kelly? Big no. I really really wonder who could navigate this gauntlet every year? I’m old so much more cautious. I was mad at Gus after last years LSU game (real mad). I just wasn’t this time.  I don’t have an answer but this magical coach some want is just not obvious to me.

44 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I am not disputing here, but the question I always ask is WHO? Besides Saban, Smart, Swinney and maybe urban; who can do what some want on here? Many thought Tom Herman was the up and comer. Nope. Gary Anderson was a name. No. Chip Kelly? Big no. I really really wonder who could navigate this gauntlet every year? I’m old so much more cautious. I was mad at Gus after last years LSU game (real mad). I just wasn’t this time.  I don’t have an answer but this magical coach some want is just not obvious to me.

The only magical coach that exist is the one willing to cheat and cheat well. The truth of the matter is.. unless you are willing to pay players to come to your program and to do that you must be very skilled in how to do it and hide it..  what I am getting at is this: Saban does it and Smart does it especially with Saban, the NCAA looks the other way. That’s just facts. I dont know about Clemson and Swinney but I do know if Clemson played in the SEC they would not be that revelant. 

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I agree with most of this. What Gus has done with his new contract is buy him 2 maybe 3 years to right his ship.  The big question is; does he recognize what he needs to do to succeed in the SEC going forward?  The only time I remember Gus having “fire in his belly” is when his system is dominating the opponent.  2013 was the lone exception when he won some close games, but it seemed that it wasn’t the fire in his belly, it was that the team refused to loose. It followed in the 2014 season until the Texas A&M game.  It seemed after that loss the team’s fire was non existent.

Going forward, it will be interesting to see how Gus handles the next two games.  Will he work on the run game and abandoned the pass against an overmatched opponent, or will he work on shoring up the passing game?  Will we see new people in key positions, will we see the #2 and #3 QBs actually throw passes?  This could be the coming out of a new Gus.  I’m actually hoping for the best.  We’ve got Gus for awhile, I would love to see him turn into a solid coach.  When he has to hire another Offensive coach it will be interesting to see if he gets another YES man or someone that will challenge him in a way to see things from a different point of view.  It really is the only way to grow personally and professionally.

Oh, to the bolded part, there are poster on here that will argue that Gus is already successful.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I agree with most of this. What Gus has done with his new contract is buy him 2 maybe 3 years to right his ship.  The big question is; does he recognize what he needs to do to succeed in the SEC going forward?  The only time I remember Gus having “fire in his belly” is when his system is dominating the opponent.  2013 was the lone exception when he won some close games, but it seemed that it wasn’t the fire in his belly, it was that the team refused to loose. It followed in the 2014 season until the Texas A&M game.  It seemed after that loss the team’s fire was non existent.

Going forward, it will be interesting to see how Gus handles the next two games.  Will he work on the run game and abandoned the pass against an overmatched opponent, or will he work on shoring up the passing game?  Will we see new people in key positions, will we see the #2 and #3 QBs actually throw passes?  This could be the coming out of a new Gus.  I’m actually hoping for the best.  We’ve got Gus for awhile, I would love to see him turn into a solid coach.  When he has to hire another Offensive coach it will be interesting to see if he gets another YES man or someone that will challenge him in a way to see things from a different point of view.  It really is the only way to grow personally and professionally.

Oh, to the bolded part, there are poster on here that will argue that Gus is already successful.

Great post! The only thing I disagree with is Gus is already a solid coach. I see the garbage some of these opposing coaches are putting out with the talent at their disposal and I am grateful. My question is can he take the next step like Dabo did and what KS seems to be building at UGA ( even though they play in a joke of a division).

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

Just curious, does anyone know where to view the Orgeron locker room video where he is yelling F Auburn? 

I don't think it was about Auburn, but those that predicted LSU would lose.

Take a look at Steele’s response today. I wish Gus would pay attention to Kevin. He came out and owned the problem. Said it was on him and he will get it fixed. You can’t fix something as long as you think it’s someone else’s problem. That’s gus’s Problem. He won’t ever fess up and own the problem. He needs to be one of those folks that says “ the buck stops with me” NS is so is bowlcut. When there players play down they own it and fix it. If it means sitting a starter then so be it but they aren’t going to rinse and repeat their mistake like Gus. I like Gus and I keep hoping that someday he will grow up and be a man and own these problems. When that finally happens he will lower the boom when folks fail to do their job. Won’t take long till they see the light. Look how NS chews his players coming of the field but also listen to them talk about how much they love playing for him. Time for some tough love. As the leader you can’t be everybody’s friend all the time. Here to hoping because we can’t afford to fire him for a while. 

5 hours ago, jetermary said:

Auburn #9       https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap           

The only reason they were kind to us in the ranking this week was because they couldn’t rank Washington ahead of because the lost to us so the ranked us high to keep UW high. Also they need us to be ranked by the time we play uat and uga so it pads their resume.

So after a day and some change to think and stew about it here is the realization I have come too. Who are the only teams in the SEC who we cannot push around in the trenches on a year to year basis? Bama, Georgia and LSU. Who are the only 3 teams in the conference who consistently recruit better than us? Those 3 teams.  We cannot impose our will on the OL and DL on those teams like we do every other school most of the time that is on our schedule on a year to year basis. And to be honest there is no other team in the conference right now besides those 3 teams that I would worry playing. Unfortunately for us 2 are in our division and the other is our permanent east division rival. It is why those games are always a struggle for us no matter what year it is. The last 3 LSU teams have not even been that good but they still have a lot of raw talent which is why we barely squeaked out a win in 16 and then coughed up leads the past 2 years. We were clearly the better team all 3 years but we only found a way to win 1 of those games. It is hard to put away teams who have as much and def more talent than you. That is why Miss St is going to be our toughest game this year outside of bama, georgia and LSU. Their DL is downright nasty and our OL is the worst it has been in years. Yah we have talent on paper on the OL from when they were recruits with 4 or 5 stars next to their names but they are not playing like it at all. We have absolutely whiffed on tackles the past few years. This is only the beginning of it. We will pay for it for years to come. Look at FSU the last 2 jimbo years and then this year. Their OL is terrible and they cannot block anyone. It is going to be a long year for them no matter who they play and how inferior a opponent is. I really fear our OL could be that bad next year or the year after if we do not correct it in a hurry. HAVING SAID ALL OF THAT. We still should of won that game yesterday. Inexcusable for our defense to not get off the field on several third and longs. Yah the uncalled PI's played a part but it should of NEVER EVER came down to that. We should of won going away by double digits at the least. Just no other way to say it. It is a terrible loss vs a rival that now 2 years in a row we have absolutely handed them games on a silver platter when they had no business beating us.

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

So after a day and some change to think and stew about it here is the realization I have come too. Who are the only teams in the SEC who we cannot push around in the trenches on a year to year basis? Bama, Georgia and LSU. Who are the only 3 teams in the conference who consistently recruit better than us? Those 3 teams.  We cannot impose our will on the OL and DL on those teams like we do every other school most of the time that is on our schedule on a year to year basis. And to be honest there is no other team in the conference right now besides those 3 teams that I would worry playing. Unfortunately for us 2 are in our division and the other is our permanent east division rival. It is why those games are always a struggle for us no matter what year it is. The last 3 LSU teams have not even been that good but they still have a lot of raw talent which is why we barely squeaked out a win in 16 and then coughed up leads the past 2 years. We were clearly the better team all 3 years but we only found a way to win 1 of those games. It is hard to put away teams who have as much and def more talent than you. That is why Miss St is going to be our toughest game this year outside of bama, georgia and LSU. Their DL is downright nasty and our OL is the worst it has been in years. Yah we have talent on paper on the OL from when they were recruits with 4 or 5 stars next to their names but they are not playing like it at all. We have absolutely whiffed on tackles the past few years. This is only the beginning of it. We will pay for it for years to come. Look at FSU the last 2 jimbo years and then this year. Their OL is terrible and they cannot block anyone. It is going to be a long year for them no matter who they play and how inferior a opponent is. I really fear our OL could be that bad next year or the year after if we do not correct it in a hurry. HAVING SAID ALL OF THAT. We still should of won that game yesterday. Inexcusable for our defense to not get off the field on several third and longs. Yah the uncalled PI's played a part but it should of NEVER EVER came down to that. We should of won going away by double digits at the least. Just no other way to say it. It is a terrible loss vs a rival that now 2 years in a row we have absolutely handed them games on a silver platter when they had no business beating us.

Love this post, and have been preaching your point for years now. 2013 included. If Gus has the horses to line up, and run into 8, and 9 man fronts he can be successful. Problem is when he cant, most of the time he has no alternative. He has a few times when we hit enough big plays, and play great defense, that we beat those teams of equal, or better talent. ( GA, Bama last year.) As I see it, we are just not a threat to beat those type teams with a consistent passing game when the run is held in check. Arguably our best talent on the roster is at the WR position, but we cannot scheme to put pressure on quality opponents with them. As I said in another thread, Lindsey obviously is not the answer, and I don't expect it to ever change as long as Gus has on a headset. Maybe I'm wrong. I sincerely hope so. Just a thought, we have a senior tight end who has caught 4 passes in his entire career. Let that sink in.

19 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I am not disputing here, but the question I always ask is WHO? 

Someone we probably haven't heard of. There really haven't been many legitimate "name" coaches since Saban got things rolling. We're paying Gus Malzahn like a national championship coach, which he isn't. He's an 8,9 win coach with a few disasters and overachievements in him. In other words, every other coach we've ever had. It's really too late now since we've already paid him, but I don't see where he evaluates, develops talent or fundamentally prepares for games well. He runs a script. If the script results in enough points, he wins. If the script is countered, he loses. There isn't a lot of variety to the script and LSU being all over nearly every passing route we ran shows that. I think we could have done just as well as Gus for less money with the coaches available last year, but that decision's been made. For at least three or four more years we'll just have to see if he can learn to evolve. 

16 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Someone we probably haven't heard of. There really haven't been many legitimate "name" coaches since Saban got things rolling. We're paying Gus Malzahn like a national championship coach, which he isn't. He's an 8,9 win coach with a few disasters and overachievements in him. In other words, every other coach we've ever had. It's really too late now since we've already paid him, but I don't see where he evaluates, develops talent or fundamentally prepares for games well. He runs a script. If the script results in enough points, he wins. If the script is countered, he loses. There isn't a lot of variety to the script and LSU being all over nearly every passing route we ran shows that. I think we could have done just as well as Gus for less money with the coaches available last year, but that decision's been made. For at least three or four more years we'll just have to see if he can learn to evolve. 

The stat in stats email “under further review” were eye opening. Since malzahn has been here 46% of our games are against ranked teams. That’s crazy.  How many of even the good ones would do well against that? I really am not looking to argue.  just thought the stat was eye opening.

Really disappointed in our intermediate/short passing game. Stidham should be able to pick apart defenses with our receivers and TE, when the running game isn't working.

Is it possible O is a better coach than anyone has given him credit for, simply because of his accent? I’ve lived all over the country and a large percentage of those who have never set foot in the south think everyone south of the mason Dixon line are a bunch of toothless, jerry stringer watching idiots. Time will tell since their schedule is every bit as tough as ours.

After the game I made one quick comment then basically only read other peoples comments.Did not want my anger and disappointment cloud my judgement.

On the referring. The PI's they called on Auburn were legitimate. The PI they did not call on Greedy was a joke but we still should have been able to overcome it. O-Line Holding they basically didn't call it on either team accept the two on Kim and they were so obvious they had to. Yes LSU held a lot but they were better coached and did a better job of hiding it.

The long pass play Davis almost saved us as hew was where he was supposed to be and leapt as high as he could. Since we play man to man I have no idea who was supposed to be covering the WR. We had two safety's deeper then the receiver and neither one moved to the ball when it was thrown. They stoof flat footed and waited for the catch and the WR to start running before pursuing.

.Horton and Kim were both liabilities Prince Tega and Harrel did some solid run Blocking but Tega got beat both on speed rushed and inside moves he does not use his feet well at times other times he does. Driscoll was adequate.  

The third and 4th down play where we could not gain a yard to get the first down. With the way our O-Line was playing you kick the FG. If going to run why both at same spot. 

The Wildcat with Boobie where we picked up 7 we caught them by surprise running it twice with our O-line. If we want to run it a second time it has to be straight ahead not wide. That takes Boobies power away and allows penetration to get him in the backfield.second and three with Stidham at QB has LSU guessing. When we had LSU guessing we did well. 

Many of the things that worked we quit doing. We quit throwing the pass to Cox,  We quit the quick slant to Seth Williams. The things that worked were fast plays that negated the pass rush and took advantage of the LSU LB's who were stuffing the run. The runs that worked aslo took advantage of the pass sush they were delayed runs that allowerd the LSU line to penetrate and that greater lanes for Boobie.

Worm could be a great RB with a little better blocking but with the blocking we have he is limited as an example there was a running play with a solid hole but DT was able to grab his leg with one hand and hold him. Boobie would have broken the hand tackle.

Our D-Line is good but they were being held but did not know how to sell it to get the calls. They did a solid game against the run but were stopped on the pass rush less by the hold and more by how many players they kept in it was usually 4 against 6 or 7.  

Davis was an animal he was the best Auburn player on the field. The Aussie started to live up to his billing.

26 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

After the game I made one quick comment then basically only read other peoples comments.Did not want my anger and disappointment cloud my judgement.

On the referring. The PI's they called on Auburn were legitimate. The PI they did not call on Greedy was a joke but we still should have been able to overcome it. O-Line Holding they basically didn't call it on either team accept the two on Kim and they were so obvious they had to. Yes LSU held a lot but they were better coached and did a better job of hiding it.

The long pass play Davis almost saved us as hew was where he was supposed to be and leapt as high as he could. Since we play man to man I have no idea who was supposed to be covering the WR. We had two safety's deeper then the receiver and neither one moved to the ball when it was thrown. They stoof flat footed and waited for the catch and the WR to start running before pursuing.

.Horton and Kim were both liabilities Prince Tega and Harrel did some solid run Blocking but Tega got beat both on speed rushed and inside moves he does not use his feet well at times other times he does. Driscoll was adequate.  

The third and 4th down play where we could not gain a yard to get the first down. With the way our O-Line was playing you kick the FG. If going to run why both at same spot. 

The Wildcat with Boobie where we picked up 7 we caught them by surprise running it twice with our O-line. If we want to run it a second time it has to be straight ahead not wide. That takes Boobies power away and allows penetration to get him in the backfield.second and three with Stidham at QB has LSU guessing. When we had LSU guessing we did well. 

Many of the things that worked we quit doing. We quit throwing the pass to Cox,  We quit the quick slant to Seth Williams. The things that worked were fast plays that negated the pass rush and took advantage of the LSU LB's who were stuffing the run. The runs that worked aslo took advantage of the pass sush they were delayed runs that allowerd the LSU line to penetrate and that greater lanes for Boobie.

Worm could be a great RB with a little better blocking but with the blocking we have he is limited as an example there was a running play with a solid hole but DT was able to grab his leg with one hand and hold him. Boobie would have broken the hand tackle.

Our D-Line is good but they were being held but did not know how to sell it to get the calls. They did a solid game against the run but were stopped on the pass rush less by the hold and more by how many players they kept in it was usually 4 against 6 or 7.  

Davis was an animal he was the best Auburn player on the field. The Aussie started to live up to his billing.

I think you are spot on.   I saw the same game you did.   The 71 yard pass was a killer.   Not sure what the safeties were doing on the play.    The play no one seems to talk about, but the snap on the field goal cost us three points.   

On 9/15/2018 at 7:15 PM, ChltteTiger said:

It starts with mediocre coaching

It starts with having top rated talent. When we can pull players and families from Hawaii then give me a shout. I'll be listening.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/23316209/college-programs-most-nfl-draft-picks-last-10-years

Archived