The refs in that game should tender their resignations

TitanTiger

16 hours ago, clwn said:

can someone please provide me with the names of the officiating crew?

Referee John McDaid

Umpire Tom Quick

Linesman Gary Jayroe

Line Judge Chad Lorance

Back Judge Jimmy Russell

Field Judge P. Davenport

Side Judge Alex Moore

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it is true that officials rarely determine the outcome of a game, in this case they did. Yes Auburn should have been able to overcome the bad officiating and we failed to do so. With that said, the bogus PI calls against AU on the final drive were either very poor judgement by the flag thrower or maybe something else more sinister. LSU interfered with our receivers all day and these same flag throwers ignored it. The players, coaches and fans deserve quality in all facets of the game including officiating. It certainly looked to me like the officiating crew was either incompetent or biased. I hope for the sake of college football it was not the latter.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

A no- win call for the coaches...well, only about 1/3rd chance of being right but I was good with the call....a score there would have sent a message to LSU and the AU team too.     BUT....even after the stop,  we left LSU backed up on their goal line and most of us (including Gus) expected the D to keep them there and get the ball back at midfield at the worst.  D did not do the job there.....and many other times on 3rd and long plays.

Note that LSU went on 4th a couple times and once gave AU the ball in very good field position.....it happens sometimes.    As for AU....execution  much of the afternoon was poor...outright whiffs on numerous block attempts....and some poor passing decisions. LSU was a better team than most of us expected....and we can blame the coaches too....but at some point the players have to "get it done"...make the block, make the tackle, break up the pass, make the catch, etc.   

JMO but a hard fought game like that is usually won or lost on the field by the guys playing the game.

All true, only this one was lost by the officials!

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

All true, only this one was lost by the officials!

Officials made it more difficult....but we could have made a couple good defensive plays that would have done the trick last in the game.  That last drive by LSU was aided by the officials but we still had a chance to stop them several times ....and did not do it.  JMO

Just now, AU64 said:

Officials made it more difficult....but we could have made a couple good defensive plays that would have done the trick last in the game.  That last drive by LSU was aided by the officials but we still had a chance to stop them several times ....and did not do it.  JMO

True; but as someone else posted...you can’t expect our players and coaches to overcome one of the worst, most bias officiated games in Auburn history. It was just too much to overcome.

The last time I rememeber so many no calls was when we traveled to TAMU JM's last year as TAMU's QB........all the holding and push off no calls.....only difference Auburn pulled off victory.......yesterdays no calls much worse imo.

17 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

What in the heck are you talking about? LSU is a very good SEC team. Most SEC teams are very talented and there are always close,hard fought games. Just because it's not a one-sided blowout every single time does not mean AU plays badly every time. That's just ridiculous. The refs MAKE A DIFFERENCE in some games. Those games are always close, always a battle. One bad call can end a promising drive and cost a team badly needed points. This was not a game where even on a good day there wouldn't have been a battle going on at some point. AU can't beat LSU and bad officiating at the same time. 

Never said that LSU was not a good SEC team. I said it was our lack of doing what we needed to do, on our own field, that led to the loss. I have not played up the fact that rather than going for it on 4th down and failing, we could have kicked a field goal that (if successful) would have won the game anyway, not to mention changing the momentum at that time. Very poor calls by the refs at very bad times hurt, but my point is it should not have been in their hands. Most of the calls that I saw, were not disputable. I also know they were holding our DL many times and we did not get the call. However, we DID NOT GET the pressure that an elite DL corps should provide. I think in this day of social media, our guys may have been buying the hype, like many on here do. Just because I don't post much, doesn't mean that I don't know the game. War Eagle!!

21 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

When you extend all three of LSU's 2nd half scoring drives and at the same time kill two Auburn drives forcing punts because you won't throw a flag on LSU for the same s***, yes they caused the L.  No, it shouldn't have been that close but sometimes SEC games are close and tough.  I don't expect perfection, but I expect consistency.  And those were huge no calls and calls that were completely one-sided at the most critical moments.

When alabama does it it's called great defense. When we do it it's pass interference. I agree call it on everyone or quit calling it. A Lot of the balls weren't catchable anyways.

Last nights TCU/Ohio st game was a great example of the officials not calling PI and letting them play. A lot tighter coverage and hand checking than our game but nothing blatant. The calls in our game had to mentally cause the defense to play scared or get a penalty.

Just now, TigerOne said:

Last nights TCU/Ohio st game was a great example of the officials not calling PI and letting them play. A lot tighter coverage and hand checking than our game but nothing blatant. The calls in our game had to mentally cause the defense to play scared or get a penalty.

Yep I said this exact same thing last night . Some times you just got to know who the officials are and change the way you play unfortunately. Either way, I just want consistency. I could live with the PIs if they would’ve called the blatant one on Darius Slayton.

From LMR's "What I Think I saw post- I am not one to believe “the officials are out to get us”. But LSU, which has had problems with their offensive line this season, obviously made a conscious decision to hold until the officials called it. They never did call it, and the holding was rampant on both pass and run plays from beginning to end. I’ll admit, the no-call on Greedy Williams holding Darius Slayton with both hands in clear view of a huge play, followed by the tacky PI call on Jamel Dean, did make me consider jumping over to the conspiracy side of things.

1 minute ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

From LMR's "What I Think I saw post- I am not one to believe “the officials are out to get us”. But LSU, which has had problems with their offensive line this season, obviously made a conscious decision to hold until the officials called it. They never did call it, and the holding was rampant on both pass and run plays from beginning to end. I’ll admit, the no-call on Greedy Williams holding Darius Slayton with both hands in clear view of a huge play, followed by the tacky PI call on Jamel Dean, did make me consider jumping over to the conspiracy side of things.

At the same time, we were called for holding twice! And how many times did they commit pass interference on us, and it wasn’t called?

JMO but there is no way major college officials could be this poor/terrible! It was blatantly biased!

The PI calls/no calls were really bad, but they dwarfed in number compared to the missed/uncalled holding calls from their OL and RB. Our DL need to join the me too movement.

I saw, more than once, DB being wrapped around the waist as he burst through the line. The no calls on holding were terrible.

39 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The PI calls/no calls were really bad, but they dwarfed in number compared to the missed/uncalled holding calls from their OL and RB. Our DL need to join the me too movement.

Just watched entire game from beginning and couldn’t agree more. The holding was bad bad . 

2 hours ago, FormerlySec38Row34 said:

To be clear, one could blame the refs for this loss without declaring a conspiracy. 

It's short sighted when people take the position that the refs don't matter because we should have put the game away. Sure we should have, in fact that's a given, but that ignores the issue of very bad officiating. That is something no team should have to put up with, it is demoralizing to the team and especially to those players involved. 

No matter what happened during the rest of the game, the fact is, very marginal penalties were called on the last possession after AU's defense had stopped LSU. Our DBs could not have played much better coverage on those 2 incomplete pass attempts. What makes it even worse is refs know they should not be the deciding factor on marginal calls at the end of a close game. They did that twice in the last 4 minutes. 

I’ve never been at an Auburn game where fans were throwing stuff at the field. So many were sitting there waiting for the injustice to be fixed. We weren’t “stunned” by LSU. We were robbed by zebras. 

It is what it is and I am sick like the rest of you. I do hope that the SEC officiating administration will take a good long look at the those bad calls and reprimand appropriately.  We need to suck it up and get ready for the next foe.  I have a gut feeling we will do what we need to do to get back on the right track. 

I do see LSU likely losing to UGA, bammer, TAMU and MSU. I thought OLe Miss might be a better team, but they looked woeful against bammer. Maybe bammer is just too much for any team this season of which I hope will be otherwise.

There should be a new rule set in place where each team is allowed 2 challenges per game on controversial refereeing calls. Also, in the last 2 minutes of the game, any controversial call should be sent to B'ham or wherever the SEC powers that be are located for reviewing. If a pattern is established by a crew that is calling too many controversial calls in games, they will lose their jobs as SEC refs. Put the pressure on the refs to get it right early and often. Refs must be held to a high degree of accountability of which will strongly encourage them to get the calls 99.99% right all of the time instead of 80%. 

6 hours ago, tiger78 said:

Never said that LSU was not a good SEC team. I said it was our lack of doing what we needed to do, on our own field, that led to the loss. I have not played up the fact that rather than going for it on 4th down and failing, we could have kicked a field goal that (if successful) would have won the game anyway, not to mention changing the momentum at that time. Very poor calls by the refs at very bad times hurt, but my point is it should not have been in their hands. Most of the calls that I saw, were not disputable. I also know they were holding our DL many times and we did not get the call. However, we DID NOT GET the pressure that an elite DL corps should provide. I think in this day of social media, our guys may have been buying the hype, like many on here do. Just because I don't post much, doesn't mean that I don't know the game. War Eagle!!

Auburn was doing what they needed to do to win. They were certainly not perfect...but neither was LSU. You are just plain wrong about that. But no team can fight off a good SEC opponent who is being favored by the refs at the most crucial times in the game. The constant bad calls had a devastating effect. That was just too much to overcome. 

Auburn lost to FL in the Super Regionals because of one badly missed call at a crucial time. Davis Daniel struck out a hitter but it was called a ball instead of strike 3. It wasn't even close. Auburn should've been out of the inning but FL ended up getting the winning run and AU did not go to Omaha. Once again...AU played good enough to win but got robbed on a bad call and everyone knew it. There are times when bad calls are a direct reason for a loss. The timing of the call can make it impossible.

Don't try to pretend that those kinds of calls don't affect the outcome of a game because they absolutely do. And I believe that in college sports refs have biases that rear their ugly heads more that people will admit. SEC refs in particular have been doing a very poor job for the last several years and you have to wonder why.

Archived