The refs in that game should tender their resignations

TitanTiger

The PI that really got me was our defender had the wr position waiting to catch and the receiver looked like a beaten DB. Stopped watching after that.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also just for the record, there were 5 pass interference penalties called in Saturday's game.  Four of them were called on Auburn and only one on LSU.  I can name at least two specific ones that should have been called on LSU's Greedy Williams that weren't, one of which forced us to punt midway through the 4th quarter.  I was watching the same game as everyone else.  I didn't see LSU demonstrating any less aggression or being any less handsy when defending passes.  I'm just not buying that we were using terrible technique while LSU was putting on a DB clinic.  Not when I can specifically call out their best corner on two plays I know he interfered.

8 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Just heard Steve spurrier on the radio about our game. The question was asked how you hold a team to 2.9 ydc rushing and below 50% pass complete and still lose. He kiddingly said “score more points” then went on to say refs should not decide the outcome of a game and thinks PI calls are much to subjective and should be reviewed since it is so inconsistent.  He said it cost auburn and also cost Georgia in the National championship game. It’s not just us fans.....

What I have always liked about Spurrier is his ability to cut to the chase and tell things like they are. When the Ol Ball coach speakes, you need to listen and listen well. I loved our rivalry against UF and miss that game as well as the Tennessee game.  I need to quit watching those to PI bad calls in that the more I watch them, the angrier I get with the inept officiating.

I contacted the SEC office and filed a complaint against the officiating crew of the LSU game. 

Dear Refs:

Let the players play and be ultra careful to not reach for your  butt and throw the yellow flag of death!

55 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

What on earth would make you think I was suggesting preferential treatment?

Sometimes you don't play your best game.  That's especially true when you don't have a clear talent advantage over the other team.  But even with the mistakes, we did enough to win that game and had it ripped from us.

Oh, I don't know...:-\  

Again, I'm not disagreeing that the calls hurt us, or were even questionable. But we had control of our own destiny and didn't capitalize. Now, we're whining about the officiating. Just seems so :ua:them :ua: to keep harping on it...

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Oh, I don't know...:-\  

Reading comprehension fail.  I said we had the game ripped from us.  That's not tantamount to asking for preferential treatment.  There were 5 PI's called in the game and 4 were against us.  I can name two specific ones on Greedy Williams that were as bad or worse than anything we got called for and there was no flag on him.  All I'm asking is that if you throw those 4 on us, that Greedy gets flagged for at least those other two.  Or conversely, if you let him get away with that level of physicality and grabbing, we get away with the same level.  That didn't happen.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Reading comprehension fail.  I said we had the game ripped from us.  That's not tantamount to asking for preferential treatment.  There were 5 PI's called in the game and 4 were against us.  I can name two specific ones on Greedy Williams that were as bad or worse than anything we got called for and there was no flag on him.  All I'm asking is that if you throw those 4 on us, that Greedy gets flagged for at least those other two.  Or conversely, if you let him get away with that level of physicality and grabbing, we get away with the same level.  That didn't happen.

Haven't you noticed, even from last year, the amount of PI's called on our DB's? Carlton Davis had a ton of 'em.  Why is it just an issue after a game we lost?

And whether you intended it or not, your post can perceptually be understood as desiring preferential treatment depending on what kind of game we're having. So, no fail.

11 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Haven't you noticed, even from last year, the amount of PI's called on our DB's? Carlton Davis had a ton of 'em.  Why is it just an issue after a game we lost?

It isn't just an issue then.  But when it costs you a game...when one of the key calls is made on the game winning drive and bails LSU out of having to punt, it's going to get heightened scrutiny.

11 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

And whether you intended it or not, your post can perceptually be understood as desiring preferential treatment depending on what kind of game we're having. So, no fail.

Not by anyone with average reading skills.  

20 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It isn't just an issue then.  But when it costs you a game...when one of the key calls is made on the game winning drive and bails LSU out of having to punt, it's going to get heightened scrutiny.

Not by anyone with average reading skills.  

Lol. Just as I thought. A millennial.  Sorry for wasting my time.

9 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Your lack of awareness just keeps getting compounded.  Quit while you're behind.

6 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Okay, now you're starting to get on MY nerves. Using "millennial" (as well as conservatives/liberals) as an insult is childish and it makes fun of an entire generation from 1981 - 1996 which includes myself and has no place on this forum when having civil discourse.

Agree or disagree - don't insult other posters.

. Another nerd with a message board title. :rollin:

Translation:  "I said something stupid, got called on it, so I'll just shift my strategy and act like it didn't happen."

5 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Okay, now you're starting to get on MY nerves. Using "millennial" (as well as conservatives/liberals) as an insult is childish and it makes fun of an entire generation from 1981 - 1996 which includes myself and has no place on this forum when having civil discourse.

Agree or disagree - don't insult other posters.

Sorry Linayus, you are correct.  I should have just used 'idiot' or 'ahole' or something. No offense to you younger folks. My chilluns are millennials.

Sorry Linayus, you are correct.  I should have just used 'idiot' or 'ahole' or something. No offense to you younger folks. My chilluns are millennials.

It's just frustrating. Our society has gotten way too caught up in label bashing without most even knowing what all that label includes.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Translation:  "I said something stupid, got called on it, so I'll just shift my strategy and act like it didn't happen."

Actually, Sonny, I really don't GAS, but you're whining is just so bammer..carry on.

Just now, Linayus said:

It's just frustrating. Our society has gotten way too caught up in label bashing without most even knowing what all that label includes.

Agreed. Not so much with 'idiot' or 'ahole' though, huh?  Pretty cut and dried.

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

Actually, Sonny, I really don't GAS, but you're whining is just so bammer..carry on.

Ok Paw Paw.  Go find your teeth and take your meds.

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Agreed. Not so much with 'idiot' or 'ahole' though, huh?  Pretty cut and dried.

I don't find that very tasteful either, but I've been known to call some folks those too. lol

5 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I don't find that very tasteful either, but I've been known to call some folks those too. lol

Well, I try not to. And most of the time, they're either ahead of me or behind me in traffic...:P

Just now, Swamp Eagle said:

Well, I try not to. And most of the time, they're either ahead of me or behind me in traffic...:P

Same!! lol :)

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that DBs in college and in pros are now coached to fight and GRAB when they are even slightly beat, moreso then a few years ago.  Maybe I am just noticing it now, or maybe refs are told to call it tighter to improve offensive numbers and thereby viewers (uneducated).   

I don't see how this is good strategy.  A grabbed jersey is easy to spot and refs WILL see it.  Now if they call it or not, who knows why (Auburn no call).  Which brings me to the reason it is hard to watch.  It is now ALL in the refs hands.  Every incomplete pass is only incomplete if the ref decides not to call it.  It is now like the offensive line where there is holding every play, just if the ref feels like calling it.  Now EVERYTHING is in the refs hands.  So it depends on ref bias, if the ref is on your sideline or on opponents, one ref that calls tougher than another.  Takes the game out of players hands.  Now mediocre offensive play is rewarded.  

Often balls are un-catchable, but doesn't matter because there was a hold somewhere.  Often offenses are stuffed on the run for 2 plays, throw a fade, flag comes out and bingo first down!

If I were a coach of a out-manned team, I would throw a fade route (on my sideline) to my tallest receiver EVERY PLAY.  1 out of 3 will be Pass Interferene or Defensive Holding.

Its just harder to watch now.  If I wanted to watch a competition decided by refs/judges, I would watch Ms America pageant, maybe.

The last PI call that set up the game winning FG was on 2nd down. Dean hooked LSU receivers arm. That's going to get called no matter what point of the game it occurs. The 1st PI on the final drive for LSU happened before the ball had even been thrown. Dinson grabbed #7 Giles around the waist and threw him off his route.

Greedy Williams could have been called for PI on the deep pass to Slayton but I think it didn't help that Slayton didn't find the ball until it was over his head and wasn't in position to make a play on the ball. Greedy Williams put his hands on Slayton and grabbed him a little but didn't take Slayton off his route because Slayton kept turning his head looking for the ball and never altered his route to try and get to the ball.

If you back through the game we could have easily gotten a few more PI's. In the 3rd quarter where LSU settled for a FG to cut the lead to 21-13, Iggy got away with a blatant interference in the endzone and never got his head turned around. LSU could have scored a TD on that drive but settled for a FG. 

Auburn's 2nd possession on the game Ryan Davis clearly fumbled and LSU recovered but the refs didn't even review the play despite LSU burning a timeout to give them time to review it.

To pretend that LSU got all the calls or most of them throughout the game is excuse making. The calls I just pointed out like the Ryan Davis fumble and the no call on Iggy in the endzone potentially cost LSU points, not just 1st downs to extend drives. 

I know I'm going to get slammed for defending the refs but I just don't agree that they cost us the game. We made enough mistakes and even got away with some, like Davis's fumble that I'm not going to chalk this loss up to the refs giving the game to LSU.

6 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

This statement is accurate. It's also obvious. But we have only ourselves to blame for the loss. Opportunities were squandered with an 11-point lead long before LSU's final drive. Those can't simply be discounted to satisfy the 'refs lost it' argument.

Agree. Gus and offense went vanilla and played it safe instead of play to win. Offensive holding calls were insane to. Our front four were held all night with no calls. 

2 hours ago, BanditQb said:

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that DBs in college and in pros are now coached to fight and GRAB when they are even slightly beat, moreso then a few years ago.  Maybe I am just noticing it now, or maybe refs are told to call it tighter to improve offensive numbers and thereby viewers (uneducated).   

I don't see how this is good strategy.  A grabbed jersey is easy to spot and refs WILL see it.  Now if they call it or not, who knows why (Auburn no call).  Which brings me to the reason it is hard to watch.  It is now ALL in the refs hands.  Every incomplete pass is only incomplete if the ref decides not to call it.  It is now like the offensive line where there is holding every play, just if the ref feels like calling it.  Now EVERYTHING is in the refs hands.  So it depends on ref bias, if the ref is on your sideline or on opponents, one ref that calls tougher than another.  Takes the game out of players hands.  Now mediocre offensive play is rewarded.  

Often balls are un-catchable, but doesn't matter because there was a hold somewhere.  Often offenses are stuffed on the run for 2 plays, throw a fade, flag comes out and bingo first down!

If I were a coach of a out-manned team, I would throw a fade route (on my sideline) to my tallest receiver EVERY PLAY.  1 out of 3 will be Pass Interferene or Defensive Holding.

Its just harder to watch now.  If I wanted to watch a competition decided by refs/judges, I would watch Ms America pageant, maybe.

Actually, one could argue that it's ALWAYS been this way. I don't buy that suddenly, in the new millinneum, refs have more control of the game. With instant replay, one could argue that they have LESS. 

Archived