So what's to come?

cole256

I hate this feeling, waking up thinking it was a dream then looking at the scores and seeing it's real......

But I'm interested in what do you think is going to happen rest of the season. I don't want to be a downer but I don't see us having this much talent on one team anytime soon, so I really was wanting this to be a good season.

I guess it still can with the loss happening early, I think we have been exposed a little though 

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we finish 9-3 and get a good bowl. Next year if our quarterback situation works out, shouldn't we have a more experienced better team at most positions?

I'm a little nervous about miss st. They have some monsters at linebacker and they send them. With how we looked at QB and o line that worries me. I don't know how good they are in the secondary though. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

6 game winning streak until we play UGA tbh. 

You think we can maybe split uga or bammer? I'm disgusted because I think we really needed a one game buffer

I agree Cole, there is so much talent on this team, but they have got to play better together. I wonder sometimes if Gus is bipolar, the team takes on the personality of the coach and there are always certain games every year that we look bipolar as a team. I was disappointed with what I saw yesterday especially from the quarterback. I am hoping for 9 wins but who knows. 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You think we can maybe split uga or bammer? I'm disgusted because I think we really needed a one game buffer

Nope and I will be disguusted if we lose to Mississippi state. They will cause havoc from the defensive line, but I don’t think their offense is very potent. Not so average joe had a horrid completion percentage, but he had made important throws when needed. Can Mississippi State QB do that? I don’t think so.

Also, I was concerned when I saw Stidhams play last week. He wasn’t ‘on’ and missed a couple receivers by throwing high totally opposite from the Washington game. Then LSU... 

25 minutes ago, cole256 said:

going to happen rest of the season

finish 7-5 and hopefully, malzahn will not be given a raise and extention......we play some really good football teams this season that are coached by really good coaches....our coaches have lost to the cookie monster two years in a row, both times losing double digit leads...just let that sink in

I had hoped that after our near-disaster with pass interference penalties in the Washington game, we'd have cleaned that up. Obviously not. According to post-game radio stats, we had 111 yards in penalties. They didn't break it down by position but a lot of that was on the D-backfield. That has to be fixable!

Now, my prediction was 10-2, with one loss when we were favored and one loss when we were the underdog. I've used up my credit but 10-2 is still possible.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Nope and I will be disguusted if we lose to Mississippi state. They will cause havoc from the defensive line, but I don’t think their offense is very potent. Not so average joe had a horrid completion percentage, but he had made important throws when needed. Can Mississippi State QB do that? I don’t think so.

I thought their qb was supposed to be pretty good? I don't know maybe I'm thinking of somebody else but I thought they were the team that has a pretty good qb that can run a little bit. But I'd be disgusted if we loss to them as well. 

29 minutes ago, AuMarine said:

Also, I was concerned when I saw Stidhams play last week. He wasn’t ‘on’ and missed a couple receivers by throwing high totally opposite from the Washington game. Then LSU... 

Stidham played average yesterday. People can kill him me if they want. I am just not overly impressed by him. He doesn’t have that it factor to me. Natural arm talent though. I will say, he needs more attempts to pass. Until the coaches realize we have more talent on the outside that we have to rely on, we will continuously allow teams to stay in the game. This year team will have to pass to open up the run. LSU left the field open in the middle all game because they blitzed Devon all afternoon (who was annihilating us btw). 

Just now, cole256 said:

I thought their qb was supposed to be pretty good? I don't know maybe I'm thinking of somebody else but I thought they were the team that has a pretty good qb that can run a little bit. But I'd be disgusted if we loss to them as well. 

He is the best running QB in the SEC. He still misses very basic throws. If he was an adequate passer, Mississippi State would be very, very scary.

Just now, Mikey said:

I had hoped that after our near-disaster with pass interference penalties in the Washington game, we'd have cleaned that up. Obviously not. According to post-game radio stats, we had 111 yards in penalties. They didn't break it down by position but a lot of that was on the D-backfield. That has to be fixable!

Now, my prediction was 10-2, with one loss when we were favored and one loss when we were the underdog. I've used up my credit but 10-2 is still possible.

That one pi against Dean I just couldn't believe. I'm thinking in practice to coach the wr's up and make them tough maybe we have been letting db's to be physical and hands on and now it's biting us. I don't know this of course but just a theory

Our lack of a consistent pass rush is a big concern to me. 

QB play was poor yesterday. Wonder to what extent LSU secondary contributed. Know we had Schwartz wide open for a TD that Stidham didn't see at one point. 

Offensive line will struggle again against Miss State. 

Anyway, combination of poor o line play, poor QB play in conjunction with the poor o line play and the lack of a pure pass rusher is going to make for some difficult sledding against Miss State, Georgia, Bama. To a similar extent, can't give Mond and even Ta'amu the same amount of time we gave Burrows yesterday. Burrows had opportunities to do alot more damage than he did yesterday, but was limited by his own abilities. 

Just now, cole256 said:

That one pi against Dean I just couldn't believe. I'm thinking in practice to coach the wr's up and make them tough maybe we have been letting db's to be physical and hands on and now it's biting us. I don't know this of course but just a theory

We didn't catch any breaks from the refs either, including one no-call against LSU but there's nothing we can do about that. I'm just disappointed that the problems we had in the Washington game weren't corrected before this one. You could well be correct about the way we've been practicing.

To me, this year depends on our offensive line and defensive backfield growing up a lot. I think our defensive line is overrated with a lack of edge presence. Whitlow seems to be growing into a running back, but I still think we're in a pass to set up the run position, which is a bad place to be against the top SEC teams. Mississippi State will be an interesting game. Right now I see us losing at least two, maybe three more. 

Going forward, we'll lose some key players. Our Oline recruiting and development could continue to cost us. Defensively, I think we're in a decent place. I think we'll be an 8 and 9 win sort of team with some inexplicably bad years mixed in. I think Gus has seen his best years and I think his script becomes more predictable to other coaches every season. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Stidham played average yesterday. People can kill him me if they want. I am just not overly impressed by him. He doesn’t have that it factor to me. Natural arm talent though. I will say, he needs more attempts to pass. Until the coaches realize we have more talent on the outside that we have to rely on, we will continuously allow teams to stay in the game. This year team will have to be pass to open up the run. LSU left the field open in the middle all game because they blitzed Devon all afternoon (who was annihilating us btw). 

I agree it took way too long to adjust to passing to open the run. They were too good to get try deep passes. And I just don't know what JS was thinking on the fist pass of the game. You just know it was scripted though...

Just now, Barnacle said:

Our lack of a consistent pass rush is a big concern to me. 

QB play was poor yesterday. Wonder to what extent LSU secondary contributed. Know we had Schwartz wide open for a TD that Stidham didn't see at one point. 

Offensive line will struggle again against Miss State. 

Anyway, combination of poor o line play, poor QB play in conjunction with the poor o line play and the lack of a pure pass rusher is going to make for some difficult sledding against Miss State, Georgia, Bama. To a similar extent, can't give Mond and even Ta'amu the same amount of time we gave Burrows yesterday. Burrows had opportunities to do alot more damage than he did yesterday, but was limited by his own abilities. 

Anthony wide open down the middle. He is legitimately the fastest player on the field. I was surprised as hell how he was running right by LSU DBs. Also, our 6’6 long haired dancer was wide open when Stidham left the pocket , but again, missed due to the pass rush of LSU. It would’ve been one of those split second throws but he has got to be able to do that. Kyler Murray makes a living off those throws.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

If Fitzgerald gets the amount of time Burrow did, I'm worried.

Maybe the LSU line is just excellent in pass pro, I don't know. We are great against the run, but we have some quality QBs to deal with on this schedule.

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

Stidham played average yesterday. People can kill him me if they want. I am just not overly impressed by him. He doesn’t have that it factor to me. Natural arm talent though. I will say, he needs more attempts to pass. Until the coaches realize we have more talent on the outside that we have to rely on, we will continuously allow teams to stay in the game. This year team will have to be pass to open up the run. LSU left the field open in the middle all game because they blitzed Devon all afternoon (who was annihilating us btw). 

Two things that scares me about him is he gets jittery quick, and I can't say I've seen him make more than two reads yet in two years

Just now, DAG said:

Anthony wide open down the middle. He is legitimately the fastest player on the field. I was surprised as hell how he was running right by LSU DBs. Also, our 6’6 long haired dancer was wide open when Stidham left the pocket , but again, missed due to the pass rush of LSU. It would’ve been one of those split second throws but he has got to be able to do that. Kyler Murray makes a living off those throws.

Stidham was unimpressive yesterday for sure. When he's good he's very good, but when he's not, well you know...and it's a head scratcher for sure.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We didn't catch any breaks from the refs either, including one no-call against LSU but there's nothing we can do about that. I'm just disappointed that the problems we had in the Washington game weren't corrected before this one. You could well be correct about the way we've been practicing.

I agree. And yeah we didn't improve that much from Washington until now. I was upset at how it seemed like we basically spotted them an ENTIRE quarter

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Two things that scares me about him is he gets jittery quick, and I can't say I've seen him make more than two reads yet in two years

He doesn’t know how to navigate the pocket and I’ve said this since the end of last year. I love Baker Mayfield because of the way he navigates the pocket, keeping his feet moving and eyes down field. Like I said , I will go through the ringer for this but he has not overly impressed me. I don’t think he is capable of willing this team to victories. If the defense holds up and our running game is decent, we always have a chance. 

Which is kind of sad because he hasn’t a lot of talent tbh.

Archived