So what's to come?

cole256

20 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Odds are we don't lose again until UGA and we are right back in the thick of it. We imploded early last year, got hot, then imploded again. Same as 2016 as well. Don't see why we shouldn't expect it again. 

It is who we are under Malzahn as HC with 2013 the exception.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DAG said:

We abandoned the run because we CANT consistently run the ball. When we actually passed the ball the ball, we got in the the rhythm, were able to get first downs and go pace. What the heck. This team needs to be pass first. I don’t care if they run a WR screen which is as good as a Run play. But running the ball early has put us in 3rd and long too often. 

Maybe we could ask Hal Mumme and Tony Franklin to be offensive consultants? Heck one of them wrote a book.

Incomplete passes also put us 3rd and long. And penalties. Not finding the wide open WRs hurt some. If we could just run better and pass better I think we’d be a better offense ?  

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Our lack of a consistent pass rush is a big concern to me. 

QB play was poor yesterday. Wonder to what extent LSU secondary contributed. Know we had Schwartz wide open for a TD that Stidham didn't see at one point. 

Offensive line will struggle again against Miss State. 

Anyway, combination of poor o line play, poor QB play in conjunction with the poor o line play and the lack of a pure pass rusher is going to make for some difficult sledding against Miss State, Georgia, Bama. To a similar extent, can't give Mond and even Ta'amu the same amount of time we gave Burrows yesterday. Burrows had opportunities to do alot more damage than he did yesterday, but was limited by his own abilities. 

I concur with everything stated here except that I am hopeful that CJBG will get some of the o-line issues resolved.

I remember reading on this board earlier in the summer, I think it was anonymous quotes from other SEC coaches, that our QB would lower his eyes when feeling the rush. If true it would explain not seeing some of the open receivers.

My guess is we finish 9-3 if this was the one we typically lose that we should have won and 8-4 if not.

We will build the momentum week 4 and 5 like always, hopefully be in good enough shape after that to make a 9-3 or 8-4 run. 

We'll never hit our stride in the first three games. We'll never get even a pedigree upper-classman transfer heisman hopeful quarterback to develop beyond the skill level he brought with him from home. 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

At some point all Qbs have to stand tall in the pocket and hit the WR with the ball while being leveled by an on coming rush.  Especially when the game is on the line.  

And he has to go through his progressions and find the open receiver.  

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

do you think adding the new secondary coach confused things a bit? it seems like we backslid a lot in the secondary? maybe the two secondary coaches do not gel well?

My opinion is no it did not. The style of defense we run is dependent upon the front 7 to get pressure. Our corner backs are always on islands playing one on one. The pressure was not there resulting in a lot of good matchups for LSU. We have to get better with pressuring the QB up front, our dbs depend on it. 

50 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

As long as our DB's fail to learn @bigbird's "in-phase/out-of-phase" principles of pass coverage, we'll lose to any team who can throw it over the lb'ers heads.

We may be out of luck, then. They are being coach by a DC with 40 years of coaching experience and a DB coach with over 30 years. I think we just need to get better students. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

That one pi against Dean I just couldn't believe. I'm thinking in practice to coach the wr's up and make them tough maybe we have been letting db's to be physical and hands on and now it's biting us. I don't know this of course but just a theory

It's tough to be a defensive back in college football, every conference has a different view of what constitutes a flag for PI and within every conference, every group of refs within that conference. I agree that there were a lot of calls and no calls, but our db's should have learned the fundamentals in middle school. You can't grab recievers by the Jersey??‍♂️.......unless you're Greedy Williams. Then you can do anything, I guess.

MSU, aTm, UGA, Updyke U. We will be fortunate to split those games I’m afraid. Good team with an average record is what I’ve thought of all along. 

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

MSU, aTm, UGA, Updyke U. We will be fortunate to split those games I’m afraid. Good team with an average record is what I’ve thought of all along. 

Was hoping for better, but unless we remedy at deficiencies on at least one of our lines, that may very well be the case. 

I'll say this though, good pass rushers are hard to come by. There's a reason why there's such a premium placed on them in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Was hoping for better, but unless we remedy at deficiencies on at least one of our lines, that may very well be the case. 

I'll say this though, good pass rushers are hard to come by. There's a reason why there's such a premium placed on them in the NFL.

We needed Holland pretty badly (and we know how that decision turned out). Our D linemen are run stuffing machines that aren’t adequate in rushing the passer yet. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

We needed Holland pretty badly (and we know how that decision turned out). Our D linemen are run stuffing machines that aren’t adequate in rushing the passer yet. 

Yep..….Burrow threw about 30 plus passes and we had only two sacks and not many true hurries.   Pass rush was not effective at all. 

As mediocre a QB as he is, on "must have" passes on those many third and longs....he hung in there and found the open guys for LSU.   

i think sometimes coach needs to get in players faces. and everyone should be fair game. if you are doing stupid stuff you should get a foot broke off in your behind. i think gus too often worries about embarrssing players but waiting until after the game to me is often too late.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep..….Burrow threw about 30 plus passes and we had only two sacks and not many true hurries.   Pass rush was not effective at all. 

As mediocre a QB as he is, on "must have" passes on those many third and longs....he hung in there and found the open guys for LSU.   

How many real sacks did we have? Know we might have tackled him for a loss or two on QB runs?

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Know we might have tackled him for a loss or two on QB runs?

That’s all that I remember. Big Kat had a couple hurries but they were too far and in between. 

Hard to get an effective pass rush when your opponent is allowed to hold too.

Those two holding calls on Auburn were no worse than what was being done to Derrick Brown all day long.

Egregious isn't a strong enough word...

Auburn under Gus cannot win if they don’t have a successful running attack.  Boobie showed glimpses of being the man but we stopped feeding him.  Going forward I think you’ll see Boobie getting 30+ carries a game.  Auburn should stomp Arkansas, So Miss, and Tennessee.  Against Mississippi State Auburn will have to have a run 1st approach. If Auburn beats state it should get to Athens with 1 loss.  Split Bama/UGA and back door into the playoffs as a 2 loss team.

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm a little nervous about miss st. They have some monsters at linebacker and they send them. With how we looked at QB and o line that worries me. I don't know how good they are in the secondary though. 

I was about to say....we very well might lose to them

As much as I like Whitlow and Shivers, and as much as I've liked KJ and other RB's over the past several years, I'm curious why can't Gus land the big time 5* RB's out of HS? You can have other schools with a backfield full of 4-5* RB's, such that few of them get much PT, but an offense that relies heavily on the run can't seem to get a Chubb, Gurley, Fournette, etc...Dyer and Robinson were the only two I can remember, but both had their personal problems, and Dyer was before Malzahn was HC. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

At some point all Qbs have to stand tall in the pocket and hit the WR with the ball while being leveled by an on coming rush.  Especially when the game is on the line.  

Yup.  SEC network aired an interview with Burrows leading up to the Auburn game and Burrows pointed this out specifically in his interview.  He claimed that he was not afraid to take a hit in the pocket and would stand in to deliver a pass.  He showed that several times Saturday.  Burrows is one tough QB.

Sorry but Stidham is an average QB at best.  Often, when the pocket begins to break down, it looks like he drops his eyes and abandons the play.  Maybe he has but I don't remember a time when Stidham stood tall and took a hit to deliver a pass.

Archived