Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs LSU

JMR

As always, love your perspective. 

As far as the OLine goes, I was worried about them this year. What can be done to change it? Recruiting? Coaching? I thought Stidham did a great job against Washington, then the next week, he was overthrowing receivers and not very accurate although we didn’t throw much. That bothered me. Now watching yesterday, he seems to regress at times and then look all world at times. What do you attribute that to? 

Once again, thanks for your insight. Love reading this column. 

If you watch the other team from across the state, when they have an offensive lineman not producing they replace them with the backup.   I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen Gus do this.   It’s only when a player gets hurt or the score lopsided.   It doesn’t take a person with a lot of football knowledge to see that some on the offensive line aren’t getting it done.  Now that’s problematic in two ways: AU doesn’t have the players to replace them or the coaches aren’t good evaluators or teachers.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JMR said:

A couple of the things we are asking Kaleb Kim to do are beyond the capability of most college centers. Pulling the backside guard and expecting Kim to pick up that guard’s unblocked 2 or 3 technique is more than he is capable of doing. It may look good on the white board, but in real life, it isn’t happening.

Thank you!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

If you watch the other team from across the state, when they have an offensive lineman not producing they replace them with the backup.   I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen Gus do this.   It’s only when a player gets hurt or the score lopsided.   It doesn’t take a person with a lot of football knowledge to see that some on the offensive line aren’t getting it done.  Now that’s problematic in two ways: AU doesn’t have the players to replace them or the coaches aren’t good evaluators or teachers.  

They have the ability to change and because of their competition they done lose much.  Our poor OL recruiting since Grimes was here 1st time is holding us back.   Kim, Carr etc... were Way over rated

i do think they want to replace Kim but have been wanting to get past this game,hoping to be 3-0

Late in the 1st and into the 2nd qtr, it seemed like the O Line was getting some push. It didn't last. Was there something schematic that happened or just getting whipped physically? 

6 minutes ago, lala said:

They have the ability to change and because of their competition they done lose much.  Our poor OL recruiting since Grimes was here 1st time is holding us back.   Kim, Carr etc... were Way over rated

i do think they want to replace Kim but have been wanting to get past this game,hoping to be 3-0

But what about Ashley and Troxel?   5 and 4 star recruits.  Brahms was a 4 Star too.  I know he was injured and maybe not ready to play at 100 %.  And Grimes hasn’t been here in two years.   What does he have to do with line recruits the last two years?    When you sign a 5 Star , everywhere else they usually start 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CR said:

Late in the 1st and into the 2nd qtr, it seemed like the O Line was getting some push. It didn't last. Was there something schematic that happened or just getting whipped physically? 

Aranda went to a Bear front where the two guards and center are covered up.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Amanda went to a Bear front where the two guards and center are covered up.

Thanks for the help. Did you think Aranda and Ensminger seemed a step ahead of our coordinators most of the game?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CR said:

Thanks for the help. Did you think Aranda and Ensminger seemed a step ahead of our coordinators most of the game?

To me Aranda is ahead if everyone. He is a great DC.  He is who I wanted when we hired Steele.   Ensminger just called a great game against what we were running. He didn't try and force anything all day.

• Like 5

• WarTiger changed the title to Things I Think I Saw: Auburn vs LSU

Coach, I think this is your best analysis that I’ve seen thus far.  Thanks for sucking it up and taking one for the team on this one.  

Stidham being this mediocre would be aight if we had the talent to win around him. But the talking point for the entire summer and presumably in fall camps was that he'd have to win the day often early this season...and he hasnt yet

I really dont know what people want from Boobie...dude is getting compared to 3 year vet Kerryon in his first 3 games lol. Everytime he isnt getting hit in the backfield immediately, and even sometimes when he IS, he makes positive plays happen 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 9

Thanks coach.  O line and the secondary just look like our Achilles heel right now.  I expected we would have some problems on the line, especially at center, but not from players like Horton.  I never expected the secondary to be this much of a liability.  Time and time again LSU was max protecting on passing downs and only had 1 or 2 guys in the pattern against 4 DBs.  Yet we stuck in man coverage and our corners were either holding or beat.  I thought we two coaches for the secondary now?  There appears to be some lack of communication.  That long touchdown was an awful bust.  We had guys back there but nobody covered him.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

But what about Ashley and Troxel?   5 and 4 star recruits.  Brahms was a 4 Star too.  I know he was injured and maybe not ready to play at 100 %.  And Grimes hasn’t been here in two years.   What does he have to do with line recruits the last two years?    When you sign a 5 Star , everywhere else they usually start 

Troxel  and Brahms are/were hurt.   I think they want to swap out Kim with either Brahms but he was not ready and there were hoping to get past LSU.  

There are always 5 stars/4 star guys that should not be and our ability to scout O-line players has been mediocre  at best

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Amanda went to a Bear front where the two guards and center are covered up.

Was most likey the TITE front. It's two 4i techs and typically the NT is slanted to one side or the other which determines the alignment of the Mike and Will. 

I mean I havent been able to go back and see whether it's Bear or Tite, but Tite front is the newest Chess move on the board and we've seen FOUR teams go to it to shut our ass down since the first GA game last year, those teams being GA in game 2, UCF, Washington, and now LSU.

LSU and Wash were already playing around with it last year and I'm assuming Kirby got tipped off by someone (lil Nicky and the giant turd related coaching tree including Belichik) because he immediately adjusted to it after getting the Dogg beat out of him. 

I first asked questions about the front during the OU vs GA semifinal because I noticed both teams using it. Apparently Chip Kelly was using it to hide.the fact he had excellent odd front Ends but not great DT depth. The big twelve spearheaded the current trend of using it vs spread teams and it's spreading like crazy. 

Aranda being very sharp and open minded was quick to adopt it. Fact, Kirby called Orlando, the Texas DC, and spent time this offseason gathering more pointers on the TITE. Orlando installed it last year at Texas and brought a garbage defense up into the top ten in several D categories. 

I've seen Zero attempt to Counterpunch by our geniuses. It's hard to watch anymore. 

I know you're super sharp Bird, so this is for anyone else who may wonder why it matters.

The 4i techs force both your Tackle and Guard to take them on for most of the typical spread inside runs. Both B gaps are toast. Most spread teams don't run into the A Gap, but if they do you have a nasty NT stoning your center, who you can't double now, and the Mike will help fill the other A even if the Nose doesn't blow it up. You can't pull Guards because the 4i can ride his butt to the ball so Power is gone...Buck Sweep is probably gone because the Geometry sucks. 

This is done to force everything wide right into the loving arms of monsters like Devin White or Roquan Smith. There are ways to Counter it, as there's always a counter move in football... But we won't/don't or can't run any of those blocking schemes apparently. 

https://matchquarters.com/2016/10/10/the-3-4-tite-front/

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/2/19/17021322/college-footballs-new-favorite-defense-4i-tech-4-0-4-georgia-texas

https://matchquarters.com/2018/07/20/mq-quick-hits-ep-10-the-tite-front/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1

I am so glad that you mentioned the lack of quality refereeing in this game. It was horrendous at times of which made me, and many, many tiger fans to throw our hands in the air in shear frustration. That last drive for LSU was a textbook case of inept and just down right pi$$ poor referring that needs to be addressed by the powers that be in the SEC that monitors refereeing for quality control.

There must be rules set in place in the last 2 minutes of any SEC ball game where controversy penalty calls should be reviewed by a referee crew in Birmingham or wherever SEC ground zero is located that can carefully examine a call and overturn it if the evidence is compelling enough to do so.

I would bet the farm if we have had this yesterday on that last LSU drive, the calls would have been reversed, and Auburn wins 21-19. Maybe I am wrong, or maybe I am dead on right with this one. I am not crying over spilt milk, but am crying over a 55 gallon drum of fresh milk blatantly splashed all over JHS football field by the hands of woeful refs.

Edited by doc4aday
  • Like 1

read previous post.

Edited by doc4aday

15 minutes ago, Man on Fire said:

Was most likey the TITE front. It's two 4i techs and typically the NT is slanted to one side or the other which determines the alignment of the Mike and Will. 

I mean I havent been able to go back and see whether it's Bear or Tite, but Tite front is the newest Chess move on the board and we've seen FOUR teams go to it to shut our ass down since the first GA game last year, those teams being GA in game 2, UCF, Washington, and now LSU.

LSU and Wash were already playing around with it last year and I'm assuming Kirby got tipped off by someone (lil Nicky and the giant turd related coaching tree including Belichik) because he immediately adjusted to it after getting the Dogg beat out of him. 

I first asked questions about the front during the OU vs GA semifinal because I noticed both teams using it. Apparently Chip Kelly was using it to hide.the fact he had excellent odd front Ends but not great DT depth. The big twelve spearheaded the current trend of using it vs spread teams and it's spreading like crazy. 

Aranda being very sharp and open minded was quick to adopt it. Fact, Kirby called Orlando, the Texas DC, and spent time this offseason gathering more pointers on the TITE. Orlando installed it last year at Texas and brought a garbage defense up into the top ten in several D categories. 

I've seen Zero attempt to Counterpunch by our geniuses. It's hard to watch anymore. 

I know you're super sharp Bird, so this is for anyone else who may wonder why it matters.

The 4i techs force both your Tackle and Guard to take them on for most of the typical spread inside runs. Both B gaps are toast. Most spread teams don't run into the A Gap, but if they do you have a nasty NT stoning your center, who you can't double now, and the Mike will help fill the other A even if the Nose doesn't blow it up. You can't pull Guards because the 4i can ride his butt to the ball so Power is gone...Buck Sweep is probably gone because the Geometry sucks. 

This is done to force everything wide right into the loving arms of monsters like Devin White or Roquan Smith. There are ways to Counter it, as there's always a counter move in football... But we won't/don't or can't run any of those blocking schemes apparently. 

https://matchquarters.com/2016/10/10/the-3-4-tite-front/

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/2/19/17021322/college-footballs-new-favorite-defense-4i-tech-4-0-4-georgia-texas

https://matchquarters.com/2018/07/20/mq-quick-hits-ep-10-the-tite-front/

Very well could've been, but it looked like they were over the guards, but I haven't gone back to watch...nor will I.

We line up in a 4i/shade/5 called to strength. Sometimes we'll attach an OLB outside of the 4i in a 7 or 9 depending on the team.

Nice post.

For those who may be interested in all this, what  @Man on Fire and @bigbird are talking about, here is another site that does a pretty good job of breaking it down at a basic level.

www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2014/3/7/5482102/football-101-defensive-line-gap-techniques

Edited by wareagleguy

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Very well could've been, but it looked like they were over the guards, but I haven't gone back to watch...nor will I.

We line up in a 4i/shade/5 called to strength. Sometimes we'll attach an OLB outside of the 4i in a 7 or 9 depending on the team.

Nice post.

Yeah you know it's real damn hard to discern from TV sideline angles, I just knew that Aranda was one of those guys deploying Tite...Either way very similar in principle.

Thank you sir, I enjoy gleaning from your knowledge. I'm guessing maybe you use the 7 and 9 when worried about a nub TE or some other possible danger of pinning a backer inside? 

54 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

For those who may be interested in all this, what  @Man on Fire and @bigbird are talking about, here is another site that does a pretty good job of breaking it down at a basic level.

www.thephinsider.com/platform/amp/2014/3/7/5482102/football-101-defensive-line-gap-techniques

I was gonna just give you a thumbs up but apparently there's some sort of daily stipend and I've run out. Kinda annoying.

Anyway, I hope more Auburn fans take time to learn more about the game, good link. 

10 minutes ago, Man on Fire said:

I was gonna just give you a thumbs up but apparently there's some sort of daily stipend and I've run out. Kinda annoying.

Anyway, I hope more Auburn fans take time to learn more about the game, good link. 

Yes, good info is always good!

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Stidham being this mediocre would be aight if we had the talent to win around him. But the talking point for the entire summer and presumably in fall camps was that he'd have to win the day often early this season...and he hasnt yet

I really dont know what people want from Boobie...dude is getting compared to 3 year vet Kerryon in his first 3 games lol. Everytime he isnt getting hit in the backfield immediately, and even sometimes when he IS, he makes positive plays happen 

Whitlow has been a very pleasant surprise, as has Shivers. Love their grit and energy out there.