Alabama is averaging 56.7 PPG

Dual-Threat Rigby

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The A and M game should be a better game but they are favored by 24. That’s unbelievable but realistic. I’m not surprised st the points they put on ole miss but very surprised ole miss did not score more.  I put this in another thread but a very confident Ohio State fan told me it would be Bama and Ohio state in the finals and that Bama had not seen a team like them. 

7 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

The A and M game should be a better game but they are favored by 24. That’s unbelievable but realistic. I’m not surprised st the points they put on ole miss but very surprised ole miss did not score more.  I put this in another thread but a very confident Ohio State fan told me it would be Bama and Ohio state in the finals and that Bama had not seen a team like them. 

even the "Confident" sometimes live in a world of fantasy... 

I dont think many believed OSU would of put a beat down on UA like they did a few years back either. I still believe with Tua its another ship for them.

14 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I am more surprised by the 7 OM scored more so than the 63 bamr scored. Since bamr lost their entire starting secondary from last year.

Ole Miss had opportunities, and barely missed on a few of them. 

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Man I dont want to be a debby downer, but I dont think there's a team in this league, much less us thats in the same world as these guys with Tua. Hes just made them universally better 

Their offense is scary good, there's no doubt. That being said, they gave Ole Miss a handful of looks over the top that they weren't able to capitalize on. Granted, Ole Miss was never going to win that football game, but I'm hopeful that if Gus pulls out all the stops in November, we might have a fighting chance. 

I'm sorry but in today's world of parity and scholarship limitations it's obvious that there's massive amounts of cheating going on there.  I mean, it would be one thing if Notre Dame or tOSU or USCw, etc were SOMEWHAT comparable but for a team in the crap-hole of Tuscaloosa, AL to be practically a NFL team?  C'MON!

There is nothing impressive about cheating and now it's compounded as apparently saban was willing to spread the Emmert dirt to Kirby... really? It's coincidence that "suddenly" thUga can recruit with bammer?

Even some people on this board seem to drink the kool-aid act as if in awe of greatness.  It's just not fair when the Horseracing Federation allows one guy to use a Ford Raptor Truck instead...

Sorry but the subject of uat getting away with this just chaps my otherwise reasonable hyde.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm sorry but in today's world of parity and scholarship limitations it's obvious that there's massive amounts of cheating going on there.  I mean, it would be one thing if Notre Dame or tOSU or USCw, etc were SOMEWHAT comparable but for a team in the crap-hole of Tuscaloosa, AL to be practically a NFL team?  C'MON!

There is nothing impressive about cheating and now it's compounded as apparently saban was willing to spread the Emmert dirt to Kirby... really? It's coincidence that "suddenly" thUga can recruit with bammer?

Even some people on this board seem to drink the kool-aid act as if in awe of greatness.  It's just not fair when the Horseracing Federation allows one guy to use a Ford Raptor Truck instead...

Sorry but the subject of uat getting away with this just chaps my otherwise reasonable hyde.

Totally agree AU72  As I have said before bammer is ruining the competitive spirit of college football. They just might as well apply for an NFL franchise, at least that would be legal. I don't like where college football is going but somebody with some testicles has to do something about it!!

WDE

Probably best uat team in years. AU hires Gus to get those kind of offensive numbers, saban said, “hey, I want that” and a few year later, did it. I’ll be shocked if there’s a game (including the Iron Bowl) where they aren’t a 3 TD favorite until with finals when it might be only 17. 

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I hear you. I guess what makes me so impressed with them is their consistency. Maybe their talent masks their mistakes, but they are always a well coached, well disciplined team. Certainly, their talent is an obvious advantage. 

11 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I hear you. I guess what makes me so impressed with them is their consistency. Maybe their talent masks their mistakes, but they are always a well coached, well disciplined team. Certainly, their talent is an obvious advantage. 

Want to know what makes them so good?  Go back and watch that clip from their training camp show on ESPN.  Some players were laughing and talking while Saban was speaking.  An upper classman yelled at them to shut up and said "the only person that needs to be talking is that man right there" while motioning at Saban.  There's a level of discipline and respect that's unmatched anywhere else in college football.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

Want to know what makes them so good?  Go back and watch that clip from their training camp show on ESPN.  Some players were laughing and talking while Saban was speaking.  An upper classman yelled at them to shut up and said "the only person that needs to be talking is that man right there" while motioning at Saban.  There's a level of discipline and respect that's unmatched anywhere else in college football.

I didn't necessarily think that was out of the ordinary - I think we have leaders like that on our team. But, to your point - I agree that they are incredibly disciplined and if there is one thing that Saban does better than anyone else, it's getting his players to understand and buy into the mentality that he preaches. I don't know if there is another coach that spends as much time and resources on developing mental toughness. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:
3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I didn't necessarily think that was out of the ordinary - I think we have leaders like that on our team. But, to your point - I agree that they are incredibly disciplined and if there is one thing that Saban does better than anyone else, it's getting his players to understand and buy into the mentality that he preaches. I don't know if there is another coach that spends as much time and resources on developing mental toughness. 

True enough.  He's certainly got the Bully aspect down and runs his ship like Gunnery Sgt Hartman.

However, he's doing it with bought & paid for (and I'm convinced Juiced) 5*'s up and down the line.  If he were doing that with a 5* here, a few 4*s there and a bunch of 3* in his lineups, well....then you have tOSU, Clemson, Washington, even Auburn...

I'm not disputing that he's at least making the most of his deal with the devil, ER umm Emmert, but it's clear that IS what's happening.  NOBODY runs a dynasty THAT superior to EVERYBODY.  Even Bahr's programs had equals in ND, Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC...there were always teams who could compete on an even playing field with his teams.  There simply are NONE right now.  They only lose due to a poor decision or a team playing lights out.

That's where I give Gus credit.  For all his issues that we gripe about, Gus had stared Saban down and won a couple or had a chance to.

4 hours ago, jared52 said:

Probably best uat team in years. AU hires Gus to get those kind of offensive numbers, saban said, “hey, I want that” and a few year later, did it. I’ll be shocked if there’s a game (including the Iron Bowl) where they aren’t a 3 TD favorite until with finals when it might be only 17. 

Not exactly what Saban said but close.  After Saban saw what Gus could put on the field he actually asked, "is this what we want college football to become?" .......HUNH, fast paced, high-tempo driven with the QB running and chunking the ball, wearing out defenses with no subbing, short/mid-range passing game, jet sweeps, power running game, multiple in scheme, etc?

It only took NS a year maybe two to completely change his defensive recruiting, he went to a slimmed down LB corp's, they're faster and have the stamina to hold up to running sideline to sideline without having to sub so much.  They are smarter and can put pressure on QB's with support from the secondary and the dline is still as nasty as they've ever been.

Then he brings in the "toxic" Lane Kiffin (and the nation laughed their asses off), but NS let him evolve that offense, while he pulled in DT QB's out his ass who can run the RPO offense, go tempo whenever the hell they feel like it, sub in a 3-headed RB monster, and heavily utilize a WR & TE platoon, those guys are freaking money every time they get the ball thrown their way.   I hate nothing worse than watching NS use his TE's to move the ball/score pts, when our own HC has chosen to all but abandoned the damn concept.  

Now NS has one of the best QB coaches in college ball and he acts as CO-OC as well and the production will likely break records. :puke:

2 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

True enough.  He's certainly got the Bully aspect down and runs his ship like Gunnery Sgt Hartman.

However, he's doing it with bought & paid for (and I'm convinced Juiced) 5*'s up and down the line.  If he were doing that with a 5* here, a few 4*s there and a bunch of 3* in his lineups, well....then you have tOSU, Clemson, Washington, even Auburn...

I'm not disputing that he's at least making the most of his deal with the devil, ER umm Emmert, but it's clear that IS what's happening.  NOBODY runs a dynasty THAT superior to EVERYBODY.  Even Bahr's programs had equals in ND, Oklahoma, Nebraska, USC...there were always teams who could compete on an even playing field with his teams.  There simply are NONE right now.  They only lose due to a poor decision or a team playing lights out.

That's where I give Gus credit.  For all his issues that we gripe about, Gus had stated Saban down and won a couple or had a chance to.

Yeah I certainly don't believe it's a squeaky clean program. I have no idea what actually goes on, but I also don't think it's a very difficult place to recruit to. Either way, it's frustrating to have to compete with it. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Yeah I certainly don't believe it's a squeaky clean program. I have no idea what actually goes on, but I also don't think it's a very difficult place to recruit to. Either way, it's frustrating to have to compete with it. 

I'm not implying that any D1 program is squeaky clean.  I'm not naive... But everybody else has to at least hide it and look over their shoulder, thus limiting how much they can get away with.

Bammer can do whatever they want with impunity...to the point their idiot recruits and players can post evidence on social media yet, nobody seems to care.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Hands down there isn't, at least not at the college level.  Those players are brain-washed from the minute they hit that campus.  There's zero room for dissent, or anyone that wants to step outside the main-stream operations.  He challenges their mental strength everyday, he wants each player to grade himself, evaluate his own personal life and edit his actions or activities to get better, improve, and excel.  Every step of everyday is planned out to every hour, they have their entire day/week/month laid out for them.  It's a factory/assembly line and some kids thrive on that stuff and some don't ~ some want rigid structure and others want a more laid back feel.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Hands down there isn't, at least not at the college level.  Those players are brain-washed from the minute they hit that campus.  There's zero room for dissent, or anyone that wants to step outside the main-stream operations.  He challenges their mental strength everyday, he wants each player to grade himself, evaluate his own personal life and edit his actions or activities to get better, improve, and excel.  Every step of everyday is planned out to every hour, they have their entire day/week/month laid out for them.  It's a factory/assembly line and some kids thrive on that stuff and some don't ~ some want rigid structure and others want a more laid back feel.

Hmm... that's interesting. I wonder if that's why some guys get out of that to the NFL where they aren't treated like robots and the freedom gets to them. It certainly doesn't happen to most of them, but it's happened to several.

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's where I give Gus credit.  For all his issues that we gripe about, Gus had stared Saban down and won a couple or had a chance to.

ND, OU, Nebraska, etc back in Bear's day could all offer unlimited scholarships.  You didn't have to analyze recruits nearly to the level that one does now, so it was easier to compete.  They were also the only ones on TV.  Now everyone is on television.

I do think you are slightly discrediting Saban's ability though.  The guy was successful at bringing LSU back too and set that program up for a great run under Miles.  Saban is great at adapting and never being complacent (people have already mentioned slimming down LBs and going to a quasi-hurry up offense).  He had the foresight to hire Lane Kiffin when no one else would touch the man.  He also consistently puts players in the NFL (Alabama had the most players on an NFL opening day roster this year).  Combine all of that with a school and fan base which will spend asinine amounts of money to win through facilities upgrades and it's a recipe for crazy success.

They've become the Patriots of college football.

12 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Hmm... that's interesting. I wonder if that's why some guys get out of that to the NFL where they aren't treated like robots and the freedom gets to them. It certainly doesn't happen to most of them, but it's happened to several.

Hell yes, that's exactly what happens to them.  If you've ever heard any NFL player that came from uat speak publicly, they everyone go back to the rigid structure they operated under in their 3-4 yrs at uat.  They were forced to put in the film time, the workout regime was strict and mandatory, attending meetings, more film study, etc.  Now some of those guys are on top level NFL teams, and they are starters and they will tell you that NS's operation runs at a whole other level even from the pro's.  They have a hell of a time adjusting in the pro's and having to work on their own, find the self-motivation and determination to put in the work to stay where they need to be as a pro athlete.  

These are professional franchises, with all the money in the world and they don't implement a structured system that focuses on the "mental" part of the game to any degree that a college football coach operates.  Mind over matter, dominate your opponent, edit your life and keep the main thing the main thing - this gets drilled into their heads 24/7 - all the rest is clutter and white noise which serves no purpose in his process for success at an elite level.

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

ND, OU, Nebraska, etc back in Bear's day could all offer unlimited scholarships.  You didn't have to analyze recruits nearly to the level that one does now, so it was easier to compete.

Yes, and today everybody has the same scholly restrictions thus creating the parity in college football we see today. Those same schools who were bullies in the day get equal competition from the likes of USF, UCF, Oregon, Northwestern; schools that never had any tradition (or even football) for decades.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I do think you are slightly discrediting Saban's ability though.  The guy was successful at bringing LSU back too and set that program up for a great run under Miles.

No, there's nothing slight about it.  I fully admit I TOTALLY discredit saban for this devil deal type success at bammer.  His time at MSU & LSU and the skeletons he knows about Emmert gets ALL the credit in my book.

....Look as I said above, yes, he's a tremendous bully and OCD and does smart things.  He is a good program builder (but I don't think he's anything special on gameday...they just out-talent everybody).  But if the NCAA doesn't have his back then bammer is merely on par with the top programs...not leaving EVERYBODY in it's dust.

30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Combine all of that with a school and fan base which will spend asinine amounts of money to win through facilities upgrades and it's a recipe for crazy success.

They've become the Patriots of college football.

That, we agree on.

I’m not saying they don’t cheat, or for that matter,  we don’t cheat.   What I’m saying is why is it that other teams don’t put the same focus as Saban?  It’s proven that it can work.   He is not scared to run off individuals that are a cancer and don’t buy in to the process.   He is also not afraid to go out and hire coaches  that no one else will touch.   There are currently plenty out there that could help us, but I believe the fan base at auburn would not allow it.   Example ( Briles).  He doesn’t have to be an on the field coach, saban has butch jones sitting in, giving input.  

Archived