Alabama is averaging 56.7 PPG

Dual-Threat Rigby

I believe you have to take the totality of his work to make an assignment as to whether he is an average, good or great coach.    When you take recruiting, hiring assistant coaches and record, I come up with a great coach.   The onside kick against Clemson in the championship game was a great call.    He is also adaptive in that he has completely changed his offensive philosophy.    

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, each hire since Dye seems to have been a sad attempt to remain the same. I mean, We're Auburn, we play smash mouth football ! We win  with a strong running game and nasty defenses, amirite!  The only coach we had since Dye that had a different idea of football was Terry, and the PTB and admins hated him.

The only problem with that antiquated way of thinking is that the game has changed so dramatically in the last 30 years.  The biggest and fastest guys are all playing D now. 6'2 225 and run a 4.5? That's now a linebacker. The defensive speed and schemes have relegated the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality where it needs to be.  When time comes, AU needs to be forward thinking and not depend on a 50 year old way if thinking when looking for a new HC. 

To me, the absolute best offense out there for the last 10-15 years or more has resided in Norman. The incredible balance they have and the way they morph their O to their talent makes it impossibly dynamic. They attack every inch of the field and never really run or pass out of necessity...And it's been that way year in and out. If we had that type of offense and play calling with the talent we have now and annually bring in we'd be putting up video game stats.  If we could some how pluck a Stoops/Riley disciple from their coaching tree we might finally join the rest if the college football world in this century.

Boy, oh Boy, you're talking my language now. Oklahoma is the one team that if they are on TV I'm watching them whenever possible. I love those guys approach to offensive football. Still think they were the best team in the country last year. They just were a little short on defensive personnel.  Like him, or hate him, that Baker Mayfield could play QB on my team every year as far as I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Boy, oh Boy, you're talking my language now. Oklahoma is the one team that if they are on TV I'm watching them whenever possible. I love those guys approach to offensive football. Still think they were the best team in the country last year. They just were a little short on defensive personnel.  Like him, or hate him, that Baker Mayfield could play QB on my team every year as far as I'm concerned.

If you combined their offensive philosophy with our recruiting, Little Nikki might move up his retirement date.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If you combined their offensive philosophy with our recruiting, Little Nikki might move up his retirement date.

This is the puzzling part of Gus. He supposedly a down hill power running spread team.   Where are the RB’s lining up to come run for Gus?   

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I've been pining for real offensive prowess at Auburn for a long long time. I remember being very disappointed when Pat Dye changed from the wishbone to the I before he had actually recruited for it, especially at QB. A promising season, and a potential championship went right out the window. Then a few years later we hire the best offensive game day coach we have ever had, and for whatever reason he couldn't seem to recruit well enough to stay. I never knew exactly what happened with Bowden, but I suspect he got very little help from the administration, and probably was also undermined by some on his own staff. Sorry for the long winded rant, but would like to add that I have never been comfortable with Malzahn's offense, and that includes 2013. That season was a perfect storm, a zone read magician at QB, an excellent RB, who had incredible stamina, and two extremely rare road graders on the left side of the line. Although I enjoyed the success of that year, I warned anyone who would listen to me that there would come seasons in the very near future when that kind of thing simply wasn't going to work. Anyway, I've rattled on enough. At least I got it off my chest.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, AUsince72 said:

No, the issue is that they can't.  Everybody cheats, we know that.  But everybody else has to look over their shoulder and keep it in check to an extent.

Nick & Emmert go WAY back to both MSU & LSU.  Emmert's even been implicated as being possibly complicent in the pervert Dr garbage at MSU.

Nick has major dirt on that guy from BOTH institutions (there's been plenty stories over the years but for some reason people choose to ignore/forget them) so not only is he looking the other way when it comes to the bammer machine but he probably even forced to assist.

And now that Nick is happy with his legacy and wants loyal Bowlcut to be his first major desciple he's evidently given him the dirt to hold over Emmert as well.

Once Emmert is gone, I fully believe bammer and thUga will either A: have to reel their machines in, thus evening things back out or B: stay greedy and finally get investigated.

And no, I don't have links and proof but there's been plenty of those links and stories shared on this very board over the years.

Funny I have never seen any of these stories in print just accusations. And I have been on this board a few years now. I would love to actually read one of these investigative stories. Why don't any journalists like the guy who took on Urban want to go after NS? 

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

This is the puzzling part of Gus. He supposedly a down hill power running spread team.   Where are the RB’s lining up to come run for Gus?   

Can't seem to land elite level RB recruits, nor offensive linemen. Count me as one who is very surprised we have been able to recruit the level of talent we have been able to land at the WR position lately, and for the life of me I can't see how we ever recruit a tight end!

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Funny I have never seen any of these stories in print just accusations. And I have been on this board a few years now. I would love to actually read one of these investigative stories. Why don't any journalists like the guy who took on Urban want to go after NS? 

Been wondering that one my self. Where's Thayer Evans these days?

13 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Could you imagine what Lincoln would be doing with Seth Williams, Matthew Hill, Anthony Schwartz, Shedrick Jackson, Shaun Shivers, and Joey G?  First, Joey would be moved to TE and secondly, we'd never leave 10 or 11 personnel and would even split Joey and go 5 wide.

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, each hire since Dye seems to have been a sad attempt to remain the same. I mean, We're Auburn, we play smash mouth football ! We win  with a strong running game and nasty defenses, amirite!  The only coach we had since Dye that had a different idea of football was Terry, and the PTB and admins hated him.

To me, it’s been less of an attempt to remain the same and more of just the “safe”, easy to justify hire. The only reason we hired TB was because the program was such a mess he was the quickest was to get a body there. Despite being the best play caller/game day coach we’ve had the administration/PTB never supported him and he had plenty of “issues” to sour that relationship completely (plus, without Garner he didn’t recruit for ?; I mean, Rusty Williams was trying but hell I was faster than him and he was our starting TB). 

57 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Just took 10 mins of my time and googled "Emmert saban" and here's a handful of links that still pop up today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2948023

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1804256-alabamas-in-a-tough-spot-with-nick-sabans-relationship-with-mark-emmert.amp.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/09/11/report-five-sec-players-had-impermissible-benefits/2801597/

And that's not even including this gem: 

https://totalfratmove.com/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/

And good ole Dee Liner announcing"troubles over with":

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/30/sports/la-sp-sn-alabama-dee-liner-cash-20130730

Sure, you can look at these and say "nothing to see here" but just replace "Alabama" or "Saban" with "Auburn" or "Auburn's Head Coach" and what do you think would have come of this?

I mean, Auburn had a NCAA colonoscopy because Miss State (a whole different school) offered Cam money.... Auburn doesn't even have to be involved and they get investigated.  Bammers own players post proof on social network and crickets.

Fine if you have no problem with this.  I just don't see why Auburn people (or any others) would be 1: OK with this & 2: actually be impressed by it.

But, yes.... that's just me.

56.7 is an interesting stat but here is another one that might get your attention.

Current streak of not losing a game by more than 2 TDs in any game for the SEC teams. 
Arkansas - 0
Ole Miss - 0
South Carolina - 1
Tennessee - 2
Mizzou - 3
Florida - 3
Auburn - 4
Vandy - 4
Texas A&M - 4
UGA - 8
Miss St - 11
LSU - 14
Bama - 165

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Can't seem to land elite level RB recruits, nor offensive linemen. 

And yet, we scoop up 4* receivers like it's nothing.

12 minutes ago, E'Town4Bama said:

56.7 is an interesting stat but here is another one that might get your attention.

Current streak of not losing a game by more than 2 TDs in any game for the SEC teams. 
Arkansas - 0
Ole Miss - 0
South Carolina - 1
Tennessee - 2
Mizzou - 3
Florida - 3
Auburn - 4
Vandy - 4
Texas A&M - 4
UGA - 8
Miss St - 11
LSU - 14
Bama - 165

How in the world could we have possibly beaten you last year ?

22 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Just took 10 mins of my time and googled "Emmert saban" and here's a handful of links that still pop up today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2948023

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1804256-alabamas-in-a-tough-spot-with-nick-sabans-relationship-with-mark-emmert.amp.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/09/11/report-five-sec-players-had-impermissible-benefits/2801597/

And that's not even including this gem: 

https://totalfratmove.com/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/

And good ole Dee Liner announcing"troubles over with":

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/30/sports/la-sp-sn-alabama-dee-liner-cash-20130730

Sure, you can look at these and say "nothing to see here" but just replace "Alabama" or "Saban" with "Auburn" or "Auburn's Head Coach" and what do you think would have come of this?

I mean, Auburn had a NCAA colonoscopy because Miss State (a whole different school) offered Cam money.... Auburn doesn't even have to be involved and they get investigated.  Bammers own players post proof on social network and crickets.

Fine if you have no problem with this.  I just don't see why Auburn people (or any others) would be 1: OK with this & 2: actually be impressed by it.

But, yes.... that's just me.

Interesting stuff thanks for posting the links. So it looked like Bama was headed for big doodoo concerning Fluker in 2013. At the time this guy Emmert gave the impression the NCAA would be 'cautious' in its investigation of Bama. Apparently being 'cautious' was code for 'don't uncover anything damaging to Bama'.

19 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Interesting stuff thanks for posting the links. So it looked like Bama was headed for big doodoo concerning Fluker in 2013. At the time this guy Emmert gave the impression the NCAA would be 'cautious' in its investigation of Bama. Apparently being 'cautious' was code for 'don't uncover anything damaging to Bama'.

Exactly.

Remember, Coach Dye's career came to a crumbling end as Auburn was put on multi year probation including no bowls for 2 years and no TV for one all because of a fuzzy audio-tape where he "may" have agreed to help Eric Ramsey secure a bank loan ($200 bucks if I recall).

Yet with multiple outlets (USA Today, Yahoo Sports, bammers own freakin players posting) in this day and age where nothing is private and everything is out to be found, bammer has never even received a sniff for ANYTHING under Emmert's watch.

I'm a pretty reasonable guy, I think most will agree, but this double standard (and those who worship saban and bammer despite it) does turn me into a tin-foil hat wearing, X-Files believing, conspiracy nut.

I admit it.

Alabama is in a league of their own no doubt. I think everyone is just trying to keep up or be like Alabama. It's an impossible feat to achieve and I think it's a disease to a lot of programs and fan bases around the country. Its creating false hopes and dreams. JMHO

18 minutes ago, WinningTradition said:

Alabama is in a league of their own no doubt. I think everyone is just trying to keep up or be like Alabama. It's an impossible feat to achieve and I think it's a disease to a lot of programs and fan bases around the country. Its creating false hopes and dreams. JMHO

Agree...I accept that some or all of the transgressions described above are true or likely to be true and give bamma a big advantage over the rest of the college football world.   And for that reason I don't expect our people to be able to recruit comparably.    And about every time AU pushes the envelop on recruiting going back more than 50 years we are gonna end up in trouble .  That's not tin foil hat stuff....that's pretty much a fact.   

On 9/20/2018 at 6:59 PM, aubaseball said:

I believe you have to take the totality of his work to make an assignment as to whether he is an average, good or great coach.    When you take recruiting, hiring assistant coaches and record, I come up with a great coach.   The onside kick against Clemson in the championship game was a great call.    He is also adaptive in that he has completely changed his offensive philosophy.    

He was forced to change it because college football was changing. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24765196/nick-saban-asks-media-write-alabama-flaws-big-win

"If what our team has accomplished to this point makes them in any way not take into account the kind of teams that we have to play in the future, and they underestimate what we need to do to improve so that we can become a better team and don't just take things for granted, all right, that we're going to show up because we have an Alabama uniform on and win the game, it's not going to happen that way, and it's going to be everyone's choice in the organization.

"So I would appreciate it if you would sort of look at some of the things we didn't do so well, all right, and write about that so I can show it to the players and say, 'Look here, man. Here's something you can do better.'"

12 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

So I would appreciate it if you would sort of look at some of the things we didn't do so well, all right, and write about that so I can show it to the players and say, 'Look here, man. Here's something you can do better.'"

That’s hilarious. 

Archived