Keep in mind

musicitytiger

I disagree with being out coached totally.    In some instances during the game, yes.   Once again, just like last year,  one big play changed the game.   Last year was punt return, this year was the 71 yard touchdown pass.   Penalties and turnovers cost Auburn this game.    

Middle school football coaches could have won this game.  

When facing an offense that’s setting up in max protect drive after drive, put another man on the ball.  When facing a defense that’s putting 7-9 in the box and attacking the middle, add some protection......or at least quit pulling your center.

We had the talent to blow the game wide open, but the coaching crippled us.  Why is it 101 stuff that Gus fails at?  Can’t we ever fail at something really complex?

12 minutes ago, AUMikeP said:

if you could coach better you'd be doing it instead of bitchin' about it.......

I hate this line of thinking so much.  People who pay money for tickets, merchandise, and spend entire weekends supporting a program have every right to have an opinion on the coaches who reap the financial benefits of that support.

7 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

While our OL play was struggling Saturday, the margin for error was razor thin. Our staff was completely out coached by orgeron and ensminger.  Let that set in for a minute

You are entitled to your opinion regardless of whether it is lacking of substance over the 60 minutes of play.

7 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

While our OL play was struggling Saturday, the margin for error was razor thin. Our staff was completely out coached by orgeron and ensminger.  Let that set in for a minute

This is Golfs account for when he has a few too many PBRs.

14 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

It definitely has sunk in . Football is a team sport . Getting out coached was just a small part of the game . A lot of other things that were in our control we didn’t take advantage of plain and simple. Very very winnable game . . So disappointed 

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I hate this line of thinking so much.  People who pay money for tickets, merchandise, and spend entire weekends supporting a program have every right to have an opinion on the coaches who reap the financial benefits of that support.

And people who have different opinions have the right to express them. It goes both ways. For the record I have no opinion...?

6 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

I like the fact that you all are so devoted to supporting this staff.  For someone that played for a while at multiple levels, it’s pretty tough to watch 101 stuff get overlooked

You're starting to convince me. So besides the Football 101 class and Middle School football you mentioned earlier how else can you help Gus win the rest of the games? Asking for 85000 of my friends. 

11 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Middle school football coaches could have won this game.  

When facing an offense that’s setting up in max protect drive after drive, put another man on the ball.  When facing a defense that’s putting 7-9 in the box and attacking the middle, add some protection......or at least quit pulling your center.

We had the talent to blow the game wide open, but the coaching crippled us.  Why is it 101 stuff that Gus fails at?  Can’t we ever fail at something really complex?

Coaching mistakes were made. You are right. But coaches didn’t fail to block the LSU LB who blew us up on 4th and 1 early in the game, or throw two picks, or have a bad snap on our field goal which could’ve iced the game. They also weren’t in coverage on the 4th and 7 LSU executed. LSU has the second most NFL players behind Bama. They have great athletes, and in spite of their average coaches, they made more plays than we did. At least that’s the way I process it. 

15 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

Just trying to see where you thought the coaches were out coached. The only time I thought Gus made an iffy call was the first decision to go for a first down vesus a field goal. Your thoughts?

• WarTiger changed the title to Keep in mind
16 hours ago, musicitytiger said:

This is one game where I put the blame squarely on the players(and refs).  Our execution on O was embarrassingly poor. Missed blocking assignments, missed blitz pick ups, dropped passes, poor pass pro by our tackles, hesitation and poor progressions by the QB, and penalties at the worst times. Even then the coaches got us to 21-10.

2 hours ago, creed said:

Just trying to see where you thought the coaches were out coached. The only time I thought Gus made an iffy call was the first decision to go for a first down vesus a field goal. Your thoughts?

On the surface most of the play calling on offense looked rational.  It was the blocking schemes that were absurd.  When the box is loaded and you have 2-3 players hitting A gap series after series, if you want to succeed consistently you have to adjust.  I saw zero adjustments from this staff to help the players.  In fact, we continued to pull the center leaving a gaping hole for traffic to enter.

Our scheme on defense was pretty tough to watch too.  Picture our offense lined up in the heavy package, that’s essentially what LSU did the entire game. Did we adjust by bringing up 5 good sized fellas to the line?  Nope.  It’s hard to get penetration with 4 linemen on 7 blockers.  We proved it over and over.

To the rest of the wise guys here - Don’t let me stop you though, keep showering me with all of the data driven opinions.....

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

This is one game where I put the blame squarely on the players(and refs).  Our execution on O was embarrassingly poor. Missed blocking assignments, missed blitz pick ups, dropped passes, poor pass pro by our tackles, hesitation and poor progressions by the QB, and penalties at the worst times. Even then the coaches got us to 21-10.

The final drives in the first half were fantastic. Great execution combined with excellent play calling. The one thing that isn’t being highlighted is that when we got in the redzone, we came away with three touchdowns against a really good defense. 

I liked some of the small subtle changes we made to some of our looks on offense as well. Lots of small things that are normally tells of the play itself were broken a few times which is always great to see. 

11 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

The one thing that isn’t being highlighted is that when we got in the redzone, we came away with three touchdowns against a really good defense. 

Two of them rushing, right?

54 minutes ago, musicitytiger said:

On the surface most of the play calling on offense looked rational.  It was the blocking schemes that were absurd.  When the box is loaded and you have 2-3 players hitting A gap series after series, if you want to succeed consistently you have to adjust.  I saw zero adjustments from this staff to help the players.  In fact, we continued to pull the center leaving a gaping hole for traffic to enter.

Our scheme on defense was pretty tough to watch too.  Picture our offense lined up in the heavy package, that’s essentially what LSU did the entire game. Did we adjust by bringing up 5 good sized fellas to the line?  Nope.  It’s hard to get penetration with 4 linemen on 7 blockers.  We proved it over and over.

To the rest of the wise guys here - Don’t let me stop you though, keep showering me with all of the data driven opinions.....

The fact we were pulling the center was an adjustment to LSU’s d alignment because from my perspective we rarely pull the center. It was definitely a chess match against one of the better d coordinators in the sec from an offensive standpoint and with fewer penalties and turnovers I think we should have scored @ 30-35 points. So with that I believe we called and adjusted pretty good on offense, but execution was spotty. I was more concerned about the defense, but I can’t get to upset about that because we handed them 7 points right off with the interception. 

8 minutes ago, creed said:

The fact we were pulling the center was an adjustment to LSU’s d alignment because from my perspective we rarely pull the center. It was definitely a chess match against one of the better d coordinators in the sec from an offensive standpoint and with fewer penalties and turnovers I think we should have scored @ 30-35 points. So with that I believe we called and adjusted pretty good on offense, but execution was spotty. I was more concerned about the defense, but I can’t get to upset about that because we handed them 7 points right off with the interception. 

I agree too with your assessment. Steele knows how to adjust. Sure, there are going to be a mistake here and there, but as you said, we don't see it but there is a chess match going on. 

The problem I have is with the D to a point. Yes the offense didnt help in the latter part of the 3rd and 4th qtrs with there poor drives that ended in 3 punts, a missed FG, and a INT. But the D at home, had to play smarter knowing it was under 6 mins left and LSU used up every minute of that time. We struggled to make 3rd down stops in critical situations, and the DBs have to play smart and make sure they don't give up free yards. 

We rely so much on our front 4 to disrupt the plays to help the DBs, but Saturday they couldnt get it done, and the LSU was able to comfortably execute key pass plays.... 

If LSU was able to comfortably execute key pass plays with that QB, I shudder to think what some of our future opponent's QBs will try to do.  Our coaches better get out the Bobby Fisher chess manual and get to work pronto. 

6 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

they made more plays than we did. At least that’s the way I process it. 

I agree here.

During the entire final drive I was pleading 'some one make a play. Someone step up, beat their man, and make a play'.

Archived