Question about Gus and play design

NorthGATiger

53 minutes ago, metafour said:

LSU was jumping and sitting on every route, just like they did last season.  Arranda knows our whole passing game better than Malzahn does.  That is why Stidham was "pissing his pants" and bailing.  Some of you are clueless and have no clue what you're even watching.  Stidham should never have even came here, and he should have left last season.  This is a graveyard for quarterbacks like him.  Malzahn can't even recognize when the defense is basically calling the plays as they come in.  If you noticed, Stidham had no problem during the mid-point of the game when we had LSU confused for a few drives....which in typical Malzahn fashion doesn't last long.

You're right, I have no idea WTF I'm watching from a strategic standpoint.  JS looks shaky, uncomfortable and gets antsy in the pocket & bails rather than stand up, deliver the pass and take a hit.  He's no more composed this season than he was last year behind an o-line that watched him get planted numerous times.  

If Malzhan or for that matter the half dozen other offensive coaches pulling a hefty salary on this staff can't recognize that the opponent's defense is zoned in on our plays, then I don't know what to say?  Hell, Kevin Steele is a seasoned DC, he should be able to see the exact same thing Aranda sees and he should've known what Aranda was doing! Why wasn't he blasting our offensive coaches to let them know what the hell was going on?

What's to stop MSU/aTm/UGA/UAT or any other team with a DC and talent worth a crap from doing exactly what Aranda was able to do?

As far as Stidham & he should've never come here.....I for one can't imagine what our QB position would've looked like last season and this one without him roaming the graveyard for us and trying his best to ward off the evil spirits in the conference AU has to face every week.  (thank goodness he's here - the alternative is bleak without his services)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, metafour said:

Some of you are clueless and have no clue what you're even watching. 

Stick to what you know how to do best and that’s missing NFL draft picks by three rounds. 

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

Coach Brown may be the best coach on the staff from a fundamental teaching criteria.  

Tend to disagree with you. He teaches corners not to look for the ball very often. Not saying the man should be fired, but some of the fundamentals our guys are using other than Jamel Deen are downright wrong 

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Tend to disagree with you. He teaches corners not to look for the ball very often. Not saying the man should be fired, but some of the fundamentals our guys are using other than Jamel Deen are downright wrong 

Just at question. Are you saying this bc of what you saw our DBs do? or do you know for a fact he doesn't teach corners to turn their head? 

6 hours ago, corchjay said:

And I will repeat again... Stidham just needs to throw it to the open person in the pass game.  

Bingo. The kid has skills but he is not playing well. Under pressure he struggles. 

I whole-heartedly agree with the OP. Gus' offenses since he has been a HC AT AUBURN resembles nothing of his OC tenures at Arky, Tulsa or AU...or even as HC at ASU. I disagree that DC's have 'caught on' to him; quite the contrary. I think by abandoning his creativity that landed him HC gigs, he eliminated a lot of prep work for DC's. 

Finest post I've seen on here in awhile.

corch has made a lot of good points.  One thing that I have been saying for years, can't verify this year.  How Gus practices is the biggest downfall to our QB's and development.  Our QB's have always missed open guys because in practice and training they do not work on checking down the reads.  Our formation, motion, personnel and down tendencies simplify things for the defense. 

Those that claim that the offense needs a Dual Threat QB to be successful, I could not disagree more.   Cam and Nick succeeded because they are Cam and Nick, not that they were a dual threat QB. 

Lots of our pass plays are slow developing, which in itself is a big problem.   Having an advanced high school passing playbook does not help either.  There are so many plays that should have been put in to fit Stidham's skill set, yet we really have not done that.  When Gus lets his playbook grow up, we will keep these top defenses more off balance

2 hours ago, keesler said:

You're right, I have no idea WTF I'm watching from a strategic standpoint.  JS looks shaky, uncomfortable and gets antsy in the pocket & bails rather than stand up, deliver the pass and take a hit.  He's no more composed this season than he was last year behind an o-line that watched him get planted numerous times.  

If Malzhan or for that matter the half dozen other offensive coaches pulling a hefty salary on this staff can't recognize that the opponent's defense is zoned in on our plays, then I don't know what to say?  Hell, Kevin Steele is a seasoned DC, he should be able to see the exact same thing Aranda sees and he should've known what Aranda was doing! Why wasn't he blasting our offensive coaches to let them know what the hell was going on?

What's to stop MSU/aTm/UGA/UAT or any other team with a DC and talent worth a crap from doing exactly what Aranda was able to do?

As far as Stidham & he should've never come here.....I for one can't imagine what our QB position would've looked like last season and this one without him roaming the graveyard for us and trying his best to ward off the evil spirits in the conference AU has to face every week.  (thank goodness he's here - the alternative is bleak without his services)

Dude is a clown. Shouldn’t have even responded to him.

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Coach Brown may be the best coach on the staff from a fundamental teaching criteria.  

Then why are our DB's doing the same thing in game 3 they were doing in game one? If they keep doing it, we will get scorched by 4 other teams.

6 hours ago, keesler said:

Preach!

Too may players are too passive right now and I don't know why.  If redeeming yourself from last year's LSU loss wasn't enough to motivate these men to play better and more aggressive, then what will it take?

To use a quote I happen to love " attitude reflects leadership." 

That's all I have to say on the subject

2 hours ago, tbone4jc said:

May be relevant or not. Just found this interesting...

Screenshot_20180918-203823_Twitter.jpg

I would say it exceeds expectations of history.  Yet he is the highest paid coach and staff in the history of AU.  So keep up the good work and build on it 

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

Another thing coaching wise that I would do differently is when we scrimmage in the fall I would go QB live the second scrimmage especially if it's 1s vs 2s.   And I would go live in every Spring scrimmage if it's 1s vs 2s.  

Please let the backups run the entire offense when they get in the game.  I understand keeping it basic but still run your basic plays to find out what the backups can really do.  

Couldn’t agree more! Let Willis/cord throw some passes! Does them no good to get in and hand it off 40 times 

17 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Brown coaches the safeties...

15 hours ago, jluvah said:

Then why are our DB's doing the same thing in game 3 they were doing in game one? If they keep doing it, we will get scorched by 4 other teams.

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Our defensive backfield is very weak, and it will continue to be so until Malzahn hires some better coaches.

These guys are available. What you think fam? Good hire?

gr.jpg

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

These guys are available. What you think fam? Good hire?

gr.jpg

Actually I love em.........made me laugh many times.........I think the big guy was killed on OZ......so Dauber's out.?

Guess this didn't help too much...

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham will take part in the Manning Passing Academy scheduled for later this month (June 2018).

Stidham was not invited to the camp last season but is one of seven SEC quarterbacks set to participate in the prestigious quarterback camp starting June 21 and ending June 24

I just went back and watched the Auburn offense vs.  LSU defense on YouTube and a couple things stood out.  1.  I was wrong about rushing attempts in the 4th quarter.  I though Auburn threw it more than they actually did.  The booze must have gotten to me by then.  2.  I don’t want to beat the kid up anymore but Kaleb Kim.  Good grief.  Especially in the 4th quarter when Auburn was already starting deep in their territory he had 1 if not 2 holding calls and was consistently as deep in the backfield as Stidham and the RBs.  I don’t know if it is his guy or Harrell’s guy but a couple times the defender was literally in the backfield and could have taken the handoff.  These things have been beaten to death so I’ll just leave it at that.  Woof

On 9/18/2018 at 10:05 AM, corchjay said:

Why do we think that? Not bashing just curious. He’s coached at 20 schools. 17 of those places he coached 2 years or less. Are those Thorpe Award winners really a result of his coaching, or right place right time?

22 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Stick to what you know how to do best and that’s missing NFL draft picks by three rounds. 

LMFAO, who are you again? I can't tell all the morons I've slapped around on here apart anymore.

His most used plays for like 4 years now have been delayed handoffs that’s supposed to fake like read options (with QBs not suitable for a RO) and tunnel screens. Ask yourself, do Bama, Clemson, OSU, even UGA, have they spammed the exact same plays incessantly annually? 

Thats Gus’s problem; it’s poetic that we as a college have the backing of Apple, because both them and our football leader hit a brick wall creativity wise a half decade ago 

2 hours ago, metafour said:

LMFAO, who are you again? I can't tell all the morons I've slapped around on here apart anymore.

Bruh, your condescending prick shtick is ancient. Stop making a fool of yourself and stick to something you actually know how to do which is flucking up the next mock draft.

Archived