Question about Gus and play design

NorthGATiger

On 9/18/2018 at 9:59 AM, auburn4ever said:

Greg Brown needs to go. He's an awful DB coach.

It’s inane posts like this that make this board so entertaining ?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/18/2018 at 5:16 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Tend to disagree with you. He teaches corners not to look for the ball very often. Not saying the man should be fired, but some of the fundamentals our guys are using other than Jamel Deen are downright wrong 

Which practices have you attended to know this as fact. 

You know who brought in some good linemen?  Gene Chizik.  What’s he doing these days?  Just hanging around the house in Auburn sending inspirational tweets?

On 9/18/2018 at 11:02 AM, corchjay said:

I do have to say Jalen Harris has been a beast blocking. 

I guess we can write that off as a positive going forward?

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

You know who brought in some good linemen?  Gene Chizik.  What’s he doing these days?  Just hanging around the house in Auburn sending inspirational tweets?

analyst SEC network and a good one at that.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:15 AM, SKIPPER_01 said:

It's not the x's and o's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's.

We have a totally revamped Oline with not great Oline recruiting. 

I feel like recruiting on offensive side of ball has been WAY BELOW our rivals the last few years. It is our main problem, IMO, and I am going to have a topic on recruiting board in a bit and I'm sure I'll be blasted for my ideas.

Yeah, this year it has been our relatively weak Oline as well as JS not having very good pocket presence. He does not go through his progressions and gets spooked WAY too easily. If a D lineman is getting blocked past him on his left, he immediately takes off to the right. Our O-line has been pretty decent at pass protection, it's just the running game they can't get the push. JS needs to trust his O-line in passing situations and spend 1-2 more seconds in the pocket.

Just my 2c.

Honestly, Stidham needs to get absolutely wrecked in his chin one good time in the pocket.

Then he'll get up, realize he didn't die, and it'll help alleviate his happy feet. Lol he better learn this now before trying to learn it on the fly when somebody like Khalil Mack tries to rip his head off next year

20 hours ago, Win4AU said:

He's doing a damn fine job as an analyst in SECN, I'd rather hear his commentary over anyone in the business today.  He's comes prepared, he's well spoken, unbiased, intelligent, experienced, and knowledgeable about any topic relative to the game.

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

He's doing a damn fine job as an analyst in SECN, I'd rather hear his commentary over anyone in the business today.  He's comes prepared, he's well spoken, unbiased, intelligent, experienced, and knowledgeable about any topic relative to the game.

Somebody else pointed that out.  I was just commenting that he brought in top shelf talent on the Oline while he was here and poking fun at his inspirational tweets.  

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

I miss the Chris Todd offense. Could it work today or has defenses caught up to it?

That offense was pretty much figured out by all of the legitimate teams we played THAT SEASON.  It was a lot of yardage and points against teams inferior to us, but the SEC competition didn't have too much trouble stopping it, even with the gimmicks.

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

That offense was pretty much figured out by all of the legitimate teams we played THAT SEASON.  It was a lot of yardage and points against teams inferior to us, but the SEC competition didn't have too much trouble stopping it, even with the gimmicks.

So it wasn’t as good of an offense as I thought? That’s disappointing, maybe we could run it just against inferior opponents ? 

On 9/18/2018 at 11:18 AM, corchjay said:

@NorthGATiger another thing to me is the double checking changing alignment on the outside WRs and then run the same power play,  not sure what they are trying to do in some of those situations

Then you have to execute and that's on each of the staff and players as well.  Everyone calls for NCM to get more touches but how?  He can't get open on his own.  Every once in a while he will make a catch but it's generally still contested.  Very solid blocker in space tho so he brings a ton of value to the position.  

Slow decisions by Stidham.  There are a lot of open WRs in crossing patterns both shallow and intermediate that he just never looks for.  It's either the designed route or check down

This year it's below average OL play, average WR play, average QB play, and average RB play.... That in turn makes us pretty average on offense and yet again very hard to score on good defenses.  We have to get better.  One of the position groups have to step up in a big way.  

At the personnel level I'd say we need make a switch with Kim and Brahms.   Mike Horton I have no idea what has happened to him and why but he seems to fall down pulling, falls down when drive blocking... I don't understand why this is happening

Hey coach, do you think that Horton might be injured more than we know and it is really making it hard for him to block like he was capable of last season? Maybe we need to try playing Ashley in Horton's position to see if we get better performance. Arkansas would be an excellent game for us to give Ashley some reps at guard to see how he performs. like you, I think Brahms is the answer at center. If we make wholesale changes on the OL, it needs to be now so that we will be experienced enough to handle MSU and the rest of the SEC.

To really get Gus' offense to work at it optimal, we need a true dual threat QB with speed and a good enough arm, accuracy and very good decision making skills to make it work. Look at bammer, they have this and it is working very well unfortunately.

I thought that Willis would be the one possibly for this and he may very well be the one. JS can run this offense fairly well, but has to work very hard to put up good numbers against very good defenses. For the most part, ANY team facing premium defenses will likely put up lesser numbers but hopefully enough to win the game.

We did this against UW and for the most part did this against LSU. Better execution in critical situations against LSU happened and until we had the questionable PI calls, would have been enough to get us the win. LSU will lose more than one game this season, and it will be against teams that can shut down their offense good enough to win. Their defense will give them chances to win, but their offense in the long run, will not be enough to beat the likes of UGA, bammer, and likely MSU. MSU is a team that can beat a lot of teams this season and we will have to play our A game to win there. I do think we will score more points on MSU than LSU is capable of. I see MSU/LSU being a 21-17 type of game and the LSU/UGA being something like a 24-10 type of game UGA.

Enough of LSU, our offense will go as far as JS can carry it. He runs the offense fairly well, but still is not the DT type of QB to make Gus's system work like it did with Cam and Nick.  I like Gatewood down the road, but who knows. I am curious as to whether Bo will play next year. Cord could be a nice option as well. I know I am rambling a bit, but I am trying to piece together what might be the best QB option for us.

On 9/19/2018 at 2:09 PM, TigerOne said:

Guess this didn't help too much...

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham will take part in the Manning Passing Academy scheduled for later this month (June 2018).

Stidham was not invited to the camp last season but is one of seven SEC quarterbacks set to participate in the prestigious quarterback camp starting June 21 and ending June 24

Related image

I'm not sure I'd want Stidham back next year, to be honest.

I want a dual-threat QB.  Stidham has not played well enough to lead us to the CFP as a passer, and he sure as hell can't run.

It doesn't matter if Bama's Tua can run, because his arm is enough.  That's just not true with Stidham, especially with his fumble tendencies...

We need a QB that can pass AND run.

Archived