GIF - That last pass interference was the correct call

mikeholiday

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These penalties were mostly the result of little pass rush and inexperience DBs'. The refs miss calls, especially the LSU OL holding, that probably had more impact on the outcome on a play to play basis. JS just simply threw as if he was under duress and in panic mode a good part of the time. He did not have to roll out on numerous plays and abandon the left half of the receiving corps. The D looked gassed in the 4th quarter. Quite the opposite of what I was thinking after the 3rd quarter. Having never coached, I think we were just out coached somewhat, and with a new OL and DBs, and some erratic play by JS, just got beat. I can't really fault CGM on this, but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth. We simply let this one, (again) get away. By the way, who was impressed with the LSU QB. His first big game and away in JH, go figure. I credit him with this win.

No one is really complaining about one particular call... it’s the course of the game.  Mugging on one side then PI in the other.  Holding by one OL and not call yet 2 back to back drives for us holding is called.  Timing and effect is everything in officiating.  

If you want to call it by the book fine but call it by the book both ways the entire game.  

Thats The complaint.

13 minutes ago, T cell said:

Watch the first few milliseconds. The LSU WR first pushes off and their forearms casually entangle afterwards. Zoom in turncoat. 

Generally, you will rarely see offensive pass interference called unless you see receiver extend their arms. Which I don't see here. Elbow remains bent. Won't ever be called then. 

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

No one is really complaining about one particular call... it’s the course of the game.  Mugging on one side then PI in the other.  Holding by one OL and not call yet 2 back to back drives for us holding is called.  Timing and effect is everything in officiating.  

If you want to call it by the book fine but call it by the book both ways the entire game.  

Thats The complaint.

I saw many people here and elsewhere question the call. Just wanted to leave the gif as evidence. 

But I don't disagree. More consistency with rulings is a general complaint people make about officiating. But this case seemed like a clear call that I don't blame them for making. Dean needed to establish a better position prior to the throw and then actually make a play on the ball. Can't blame the refs here. 

I know Dean had his hand on the receiver's arm but he had perfect position, was looking back for the ball, and played the ball not the receiver. I have seen that same coverage called perfect in other games right down to the defender holding the receivers arm. I have heard announcers say that as long a you are looking back for the ball then you can use your other hand to locate the receiver. In the end it is always a judgement call by the ref but I thought it was a BS call.

4 minutes ago, nurbis said:

I know Dean had his hand on the receiver's arm but he had perfect position, was looking back for the ball, and played the ball not the receiver. I have seen that same coverage called perfect in other games right down to the defender holding the receivers arm. I have heard announcers say that as long a you are looking back for the ball then you can use your other hand to locate the receiver. In the end it is always a judgement call by the ref but I thought it was a BS call.

The problem is that he is holding down the receiver's arm preventing him from raising it to catch the football. 

Per article 9, "Contact by Team B with an eligible receiver involving a personal foul that interferes with the reception of a catchable pass". Which this pretty clearly was. 

6 hours ago, nurbis said:

first mistake, listening to announcers and thinking they actually know the rules.   They don't.

8 hours ago, corchjay said:

Thats The complaint.

Exactly. I don't know how other people feel but after the no call on Williams i felt like it was a lose-lose situation at that point. It's hard to always get the right call at real speed but when a ref completely ignores a call in his line of sight it that's just ridiculous. It reminds me of the MSU game a few years ago

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

first mistake, listening to announcers and thinking they actually know the rules.   They don't.

It sometimes amazes me how they can know less than I do. I thought Danielson was one of the best for a long time. He didn’t even understand the requirements for a catch going down out of bounds. The Seth Williams near catch that should not have been thrown. 

28 minutes ago, alexava said:

It sometimes amazes me how they can know less than I do. I thought Danielson was one of the best for a long time. He didn’t even understand the requirements for a catch going down out of bounds. The Seth Williams near catch that should not have been thrown. 

In fairness to you, it really should be safe for you to assume that a former NFL quarterback would have a decent grasp of the rules.  Of course, he has not played the game since the late 80's, but has been working as a college football analyst since he left the NFL.  His job has literally been to watch college football games and make observations for the last 30 years.  Football has occupied his entire adult life.  At this point, his understanding of the game should be on par with most of the coaches and officials.

I thought the officiating was terrible in this game. Usually the home team will get the benefit of the doubt. In this game LSU got all the calls. If any of those calls had gone our way or no calls had gone our way we win plan and simple . I do believe that and I do think we were robbed. Now we could have played better and it would not have had to come to the calls but it did and it caused us to lose. I watched a couple of other games that day and they did not call similar plays. That's the only reason I am not more upset about how the team played because I truly believe we should have won the game and it was taken from us.  

In consideration of how they had been calling pass interference all game long, the no-call on Greedy Williams, the timing of this penalty, and how well Dean was positioned, I thought a no-call would have been appropriate. Oh well. Also, the previous pass interference call on Dinson should have been called defensive holding, and not pass interference. Still would have been a first down, but a 10 yard penalty, instead of a 15 yard penalty. 

I dont think this is PI, this is hand fighting. The reciever is able to get both hands up. He misses the ball bc dean jumps in the way at the last second. Receiver doesnt even get his free hand on the ball. 

Like many on here have already said- if theyre gonna call that a penalty then how can you not call slaytons?

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

In consideration of how they had been calling pass interference all game long, the no-call on Greedy Williams, the timing of this penalty, and how well Dean was positioned, I thought a no-call would have been appropriate. Oh well. Also, the previous pass interference call on Dinson should have been called defensive holding, and not pass interference. Still would have been a first down, but a 10 yard penalty, instead of a 15 yard penalty. 

So that penalty ticks me off. First if you call PI- dont say well it was D holding. Those are two different things. Second refs are taught to throw the flag when the penalty occurs and where the penalty occurs. That flag wasnt thrown until the ball was clearing the wrs head. So either, the ref gave them PI or he made the wrong call

6 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

So that penalty ticks me off. First if you call PI- dont say well it was D holding. Those are two different things. Second refs are taught to throw the flag when the penalty occurs and where the penalty occurs. That flag wasnt thrown until the ball was clearing the wrs head. So either, the ref gave them PI or he made the wrong call

He made the wrong call - absolutely. Like I said, the correct call should have been defensive holding. My sense was that he wasn't aware of whether the ball was in the air at the time of the penalty, so he just called PI. It was the wrong call. 

11 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

MQ4zmO.gif

Watch Dean's left hand grab the receiver's inside hand. Clearly pass interference. For all those saying we were robbed.  

It deserves a flag.! Problem is it is so insconsistent. Other prime time games , we see this exact hand fighting and it is let go or in the case of our game, they call all of the 50-50 stuff...yet, the most obvious one, they let ride. That is my issue. It wasn’t the main reason we lost the game though.

My biggest issue with that call is that it appears both are playing to get position. The reciever appears to put his hand on the defender's chest. The defender has his hand on the reciever's arm. In a crucial late-game situation, that is a no-call every time. 

I'm not so sure. A couple of thoughts:

1) Our DBs have been the victims of a lot of pushing off over the last three games. If you don't call pushing off, I don't think you should call having a hand on the WR.
2) Dean was in the right position, had his head turned, and appears to have gotten his hand on the ball. I just don't think a ref should make a game changing call, at the end of the game, if it's a close call and likely had little impact on the play.

3) As others have said, holding not PI

4) I also don't think you make that call if you are not being consistent. If you, as a ref, are going to make a game changing call at the end of the game, you need to have done a really good job of having been consistent up until then. You can't miss the PI where our WR was possible going for a TD, then make that call against us that moves LSU into field goal range with a couple minutes left just a few minutes later.

Honestly, I don't think a ref should EVER call a penalty that determines the game if that penalty did not appear to have impacted the play (remember, IMO Dean appears to have redirected the ball and was most likely in a 50/50 hand fight with the WR, in good position).

JMHO

That call was right, but the missed called on Greedy pulling Slayton back on the deep throw in the 4th, the mugging from Greedy to Seth Williams on a back shoulder in the 3rd, and the potential holding call not called on Greedy on the second Stidham INT are all missed IMO. Also, the fact that I don't think LSU was called for a hold on their OL all day is suspect. Other than blatant roughing the passer and facemask calls, LSU didn't see many flags against them, and Auburn had several subjective penalties called against them. Just seemed very inconsistent and uneven.

Archived