Yet another National Recruiting Debate

SKIPPER_01

17 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I’m not saying this to turn this thread into yet another Gus Malzahn bashing contest. With that said, I ask this question:

Does Bruce Pearl have a problem recruiting? The right coach, the right program, the right facilities and we will not have a problem competing with the likes of the turds and thuga.

I love Bruce Pearl but he hasn't been any closer to championship than Gus. This not a knock on Pearl as I think he is a great coach but we don't hold basketball to same standard as football.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

This can't be overlooked.  Class ranking does not matter at all if you don't have guys who can excel in what you are running.  We have a group of True Freshman on offense and defense who look like game changers for us.  Mark Richt had great recruiting classes but consistently recruited players of ranking instead of need.  I just want us to recruit our needs with the best players available to play within our scheme.  We do not need to try to recruit nationally.  What we need is to not have years where we miss on position of need.  That is OL right now.  I will go further to say that not only have we failed at OL but to compound the problem we are asking them to play too early.  Ben Cleveland was a stud coming out of HS and a beast of a man.  Until the Auburn game in the SECC he could not get into the starting lineup.  He needed time and real reps.  In my opinion we have a slight talent deficiency on top of asking that talent to play too early.  Couple that with injuries and you have a big mess.  We just need to recruit where we recruit and get our share of the right guys.  Competition for a starting position makes everyone better and right now we don't have that on the OL in my opinion.

I think a lot of us are on the same page. You can't judge a poker player based off their checkers skills; we're playing a different game than the "recruiting website national champs". We have been doing a solid job of filling needs and getting kids who fit our scheme well (for the most part).

OP is a phenomenally athletic OLB that should be fast in coverage and tracking down running backs

George Pickens is a big bodied deep threat waiting to explode on the scene so long as he does his part with blocking

Bo Nix is mobile enough to run the occasional zone read and make teams pay for ignoring him and he's a solid passer with lots of experience

Jaren Handy should help bolster the pass rush early on in his time here

Zion Puckett will add much needed depth to the Safety position and he has an ideal frame for a safety

Keiondre Jones will likely compete early for a inside position on the OL I don't see him winning out but he'll come through in time

Cam'Ron Kelly should be a solid member of the secondary for us again with good height and size for the position also again adding more depth to the position

Sheffield again adds even more depth and size to the secondary, gone are the days of under 6' secondary players on the plaines

Jaylin Simpson is just shy of 6' but is another excellent cover man to add to the depth of the secondary

Tyler Fromm will hopefully add an actual pass threat to the TE position and at 6'5" 225 lbs he has some room to grow into a monster in the slot

Justin Osborne isn't the highest rated OT but he comes from one of the most elite teams in all of high school football. He should be relatively well polished.

Luke Deal might be more of a blocker but he should add even more of a presence to the TE position

Colby Wooden will fill out a lot in college and I trust RG with making sure he's a force anywhere we place him across the DL

Ja'Varrius Johnson is a more athletic slot receiver with higher top end speed than Ryan Davis essentially helping us reload at that position/utility role. He's proven to be the biggest hidden gem of this class for us. At 5'8.5" I was one of his first skeptics and I'm already preparing my share of crow to eat.

All of these kids should contribute early with the acception of maybe Osborne and one or two of the secondary guys because there are so many young cats at the position.

War Eagle, love our class and I can't wait to see who we close with. Man am I itching for a commit though.

This thread is so absurdly wrong, I don't even know what to say.  Auburn is NOT "fighting an uphill battle" in Georgia or Alabama.  We have extremely favorable relationships all over our core recruiting states, due to decades of recruiting this fertile region.  OP, you think we can't sign players from Georgia, but we somehow have favorable matchups in California? What? We actually have an EASIER time recruiting where we want to recruit today because Alabama is so dominant that they now go and sign elite players from places wherein we aren't even a factor.  Which means that there are actually MORE players in Alabama/Georgia/etc. for us to legitimately recruit, not less.

38 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I love Bruce Pearl but he hasn't been any closer to championship than Gus. This not a knock on Pearl as I think he is a great coach but we don't hold basketball to same standard as football.

I don’t mean this offensively anyway:  My obvious point, that you possibly missed...The thread is about recruiting. Bruce Pearl is recruiting talent to Auburn as good; if not better than the majority, to vast majority of basketball programs in the country. Again, the right coach, the right facilities and we can compete with anyone!

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Since they have become an elite national brand they have recruited more nationally & cherry picked some in state they felt were elite.

So they beat us head on and out flank us. Perfect. 

Everyone at Auburn is doing a great job.

1 minute ago, SKIPPER_01 said:

So they beat us head on and out flank us. Perfect. 

Everyone at Auburn is doing a great job.

Almost everyone at Auburn is doing a great job. 

Two assistants aren't. Unfortunately, they work very closely together on the same side of the ball. I'm not sure why one of them is still here and the other one, well, I'm under contractual obligation not to ever say anything bad about him. 

19 hours ago, Zeek said:

There’s enough talent in Georgia and Alabama to go around add in some gets from Florida and Louisiana and you’re sitting pretty. Would love to get into Texas more but there’s 2,500 D1 colleges in Texas.

The problem with FL is all the real talent is in Central or South Florida. Most might not realize it takes 14+ hours to go from some parts of Florida to another. There’s more distance to travel Florida than some countries.

However, with FSU being down, Mullen rebuilding, Richt only occupies the Miami area, and UCF and USF only taking what 3* they can get... it might be time to take advantage of the down years of FL programs.

We win our share of recruiting battles with the Turds and Georgia. I’d rather send a scout to foreign countries to find more 6’6” god like young adults to send them this way. So many princes and stuff that come in, play one year somewhere, and get swallowed up by the NFL. Lol I’m partially joking but tell me there’s not some 6’6” 260 pound 17 year old Russian chopping wood and carrying boulders for his family to eat who wouldn’t be an amazing football player. There’s a world of talent out there completely separate from the opportunity to play football...

If there’s some big 17-yr old Russian kid bringing boulders home for his family to eat ... then pass.  We’re a university for pete’s sake!  Let’s at least recruit some smart big people.  

.We have a top 10 class in the making for 2019 as well as 2020. We are recruiting well in all positions except a lag in OL. I do see us making up ground on that side of the ball if we can get Putnam and another quality OT to go with the 4 star guard and a solid 3 star OT we already have on board, this will be a nice top 10 class for 2019. There is enough talent in the southeastern region for us to sign top 12 classes for the foreseeable future.

We do outside the SE here and there such as Ashley, Braden Smith, JS, Kmart, Canella, and others I may be missing. I would not be surprised if we sign another grad transfer or 2 OLs. 

Hey Ellitor, what is your take on my assessment? I always trust your take on recruiting

14 hours ago, Samau said:

14 hours ago, Samau said:

Currently I think our biggest issue is we do not have enough elite recruiters on the offensive side of the ball. Most of our 5 and 4 stars are on the defensive side. We are especially weak at the OL and RB position. We have not recruited well at either position in the last couple of years and it is showing. I think Kodi has done an excellent job getting WR talent and we have recruited pretty well at the QB position

You aren't happy with Whitlow, A-Martin and Shivers? There aren't many schools in the country with three freshman RB of that quality. As for the O-line, we've been consisntly preached to about how recruiting is all about relationships and building relationships takes time. If that applies to other position coaches, it applies to the O-line coach too. You have to give him time.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

You aren't happy with Whitlow, A-Martin and Shivers? There aren't many schools in the country with three freshman RB of that quality. As for the O-line, we've been consisntly preached to about how recruiting is all about relationships and building relationships takes time. If that applies to other position coaches, it applies to the O-line coach too. You have to give him time.

No I am not happy with our rushing performance are you? I just read a Twitter post from Cole Cubelic saying Auburn was dead last in the SEC in rushing. 

Wins will do more for recruiting than spending a ton of money on a national recruiting program imho. Winning consistently helps a lot too. There is so much talent in Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama it's not even funny and we are very lucky to be sitting right in the middle of it all.

Outside that core region alumni can be a major asset by keeping their eyes open and dropping a call or email to staff. As far as Florida is concerned, beating UCF instead of losing, would have gone a long way in recruiting the state. To paraphrase a saying, win (consistently) and they will come (regionally and nationally). 

4 hours ago, Samau said:

I just read a Twitter post from Cole Cubelic saying Auburn was dead last in the SEC in rushing. 

Doubt I ever envisioned Gus’s rushing offenses being this bad. 

Auburn recruits at a top level, and has done so consistently since Tubs has been gone.

Auburn recruits in the top 10 most years and has plenty of talent to compete in this conference.

What Auburn needs to work on is retention, development of talent, utilization of the talent on hand.  Retain those top 10 ranked classes, train and develop them in to SEC caliber players and then manage your damn roster with a plan and scheme to utilize that talent, equip them and prepare them to execute the plan in place and they will be successful.  Do this consistently and there's no need to use money, resources or valuable man hours sifting through the west coast for kids.

12 hours ago, Samau said:

No I am not happy with our rushing performance are you? I just read a Twitter post from Cole Cubelic saying Auburn was dead last in the SEC in rushing. 

I am not happy with our rushing performance to date, but I'm very happy with our RB recruiting.

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

I am not happy with our rushing performance to date, but I'm very happy with our RB recruiting.

Ok well we will agree to disagree about that. Our current RBs are not as good as rivals Georgia or Alabama (in my opinion). That along with our OL are the reason we are near the bottom of the SEC in rushing. 

On 9/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, Zeek said:

There’s enough talent in Georgia and Alabama to go around add in some gets from Florida and Louisiana and you’re sitting pretty. Would love to get into Texas more but there’s 2,500 D1 colleges in Texas.

The problem with FL is all the real talent is in Central or South Florida. Most might not realize it takes 14+ hours to go from some parts of Florida to another. There’s more distance to travel Florida than some countries.

However, with FSU being down, Mullen rebuilding, Richt only occupies the Miami area, and UCF and USF only taking what 3* they can get... it might be time to take advantage of the down years of FL programs.

We win our share of recruiting battles with the Turds and Georgia. I’d rather send a scout to foreign countries to find more 6’6” god like young adults to send them this way. So many princes and stuff that come in, play one year somewhere, and get swallowed up by the NFL. Lol I’m partially joking but tell me there’s not some 6’6” 260 pound 17 year old Russian chopping wood and carrying boulders for his family to eat who wouldn’t be an amazing football player. There’s a world of talent out there completely separate from the opportunity to play football...

I long for the day that Auburn fields a team full of names we can't pronounce. We're kinda but not close enough.

On 9/27/2018 at 10:19 AM, Samau said:

Ok well we will agree to disagree about that. Our current RBs are not as good as rivals Georgia or Alabama (in my opinion). That along with our OL are the reason we are near the bottom of the SEC in rushing. 

The OL is the reason we are at the bottom of the SEC in rushing, not the running backs. Jim Brown couldn't run successfully behind the lack of push we've been getting there so far. The only positive coming out of that group is that everyone returns next year, so we'll have an experienced group...and that is the one commonality that each of the 10+ win seasons we've had under Gus (including his time as OC). Look it up if you don't believe me.

On 9/29/2018 at 12:51 AM, Rednilla said:

The OL is the reason we are at the bottom of the SEC in rushing, not the running backs. Jim Brown couldn't run successfully behind the lack of push we've been getting there so far. The only positive coming out of that group is that everyone returns next year, so we'll have an experienced group...and that is the one commonality that each of the 10+ win seasons we've had under Gus (including his time as OC). Look it up if you don't believe me.

I was listening to sports radio relative to Bryce Love and how his numbers have dropped bc he does not have the line he had last year. He was a strong heisman candidate and has not done much of anything. 

Archived