Jalen Harris to redshirt then transfer

GwillMac6

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

I wanted to say more, but there is definitely truth to needing to run the ball in SEC. I wish we would try to air it out in one of these next few games, especially this weekend. We probably don't even know how good we can be in passing game. I saw Stidham light up Oklahoma as a freshman at Baylor. Stid needs a heavy pass reps game to get into a rhythm. Finding an identity should be allowed to be pass focused as well. We start the game majority pass to open up the run, but after the script go back to run, play action. 

Agreed, 100% I think we’ll always be a run first team but this year should have been an acception.

Use our ridiculous depth at receiver and our NFL bound quarterback. Help JS’ stock by giving him the chance to put up big numbers.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ertrader said:

I am guessing an unintended side effect of the new redshirt rule is that we will see more kids announcing transfers after playing in three or four games, since they can retain a year of eligibility.

Could be, especially in a case like this where he'll be a grad transfer and can play without sitting. While blocking is job 1 for TEs they would like to have a little fun too. Can't blame him at all. 

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

Drives me nuts. TE can be a major weapon, not only in the middle of the field , but also in the RZ, and we've had major RZ issues over the last few years.

never seen a offensive minded head coach be as scared as gus is to throw in the RZ. It is WHY we struggle so much because he refuses to throw down there unless we have too. The defense more or less know what is coming. No creativity. Flat out cost us the 2014 iron bowl.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

never seen a offensive minded head coach be as scared as gus is to throw in the RZ. It is WHY we struggle so much because he refuses to throw down there unless we have too. The defense more or less know what is coming. No creativity. Flat out cost us the 2014 iron bowl.

Yep. the number of times our QB throws a pass that crosses the goal line in the air over the past few years has to be near the single digits. Most of those are probably from 30+ yards out

7 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Yep. the number of times our QB throws a pass that crosses the goal line in the air over the past few years has to be near the single digits. Most of those are probably from 30+ yards out

It is like every Auburn Head Coach ever besides bowden was allergic to the concept of running a pass first offense even when it made sense. We have the worst or close to the worst passing and receiving stats all time I believe in SEC history. It is putrid how little history we have with gaudy passing and receiving numbers.

Just now, johnnyAU said:

Gus thinks you either have WC and run right up center or some wild gimmick FB to QB pass. ? The best GL slant was thrown by KJ lol ? 

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

It is like every Auburn Head Coach ever besides bowden was allergic to the concept of running a pass first offense even when it made sense. We have the worst or close to the worst passing and receiving stats all time I believe. It is putrid how little history we have with gaudy passing and receiving numbers.

I did not mind being a run first offense but when the D puts 9 in the box it’s time to move to plan B

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I did not mind being a run first offense but when the D puts 9 in the box it’s time to move to plan B

touche sir. I am just tired of the same ol same ol Auburn offense. Passing the football is exciting. It puts butts in the seats and excites recruits. We have the QB and WRs to do it this year but gus still is trying to be a run first team. This is the year more than any other to pass to set up the run.

8 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I had a girlfriend who was, well let’s say God made her insanely beautiful and ran out of stat points before getting to intelligence.

I’ll never forget her coming to one of my games in high school where our defense kept loading the box against an I-offense the opposing coach had been using since the wheel was discovered.

After the game she asked me why they kept running into so many guys in the middle and why they didn’t just go around or “flick it” over us.

Good question Mariah... 

Just now, alexava said:

If we threw passes to all the receivers that we bitch about not throwing passes to.....we’d have 80 pass attempts a game. 

Perhaps he should have spent more time recruiting for the OL huh?

It's not like he'll be missed. He wasn't really used anyway. People say we're thin at TE, but we don't even use them. Just stick a 6th OL up there at the position.

I wish him the best because he gave it his all while here and i think has the talent to produce.

It amazes me we don't use TE or even our WR more. Even if we want to be a run first offense, at least let the WR/TE eat when we play cupcakes. We had 14 pass attempts and 59 rushes against Alabama St. That's insane. What's even the point of playing that game if we aren't going to practice our full offense? Is the point to just smash their skulls in and not learn anything about our players?

Our 5th AND 6th string RBs had more touches against Alabama State than all our TEs combined...for the entire year!!! That tells you all you need to know about our offense.

It’s a shame how underused he was compared to what he was apparently told during his recruitment. The good thing that came of this was his AU degree that he will always be able to fall back on. Very disappointed with this whole thing. 

1 hour ago, ertrader said:

I am guessing an unintended side effect of the new redshirt rule is that we will see more kids announcing transfers after playing in three or four games, since they can retain a year of eligibility.

Slowly but surely, good or bad, players are becoming more and more empowered. The powers that be will start getting restless soon. 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was basically lied to about how he’d be used. Not being naive and saying coaches don’t have to lie often but he has full justification in this situation 

Very true. Recruiters and coaches fib in order to sign kids. It does not mean that they don't have plans for them at the beginning of camp, but w the way AU is not utilizing the TE position much, I agree w Jalen. Go where you will be utilized. Currently our O does not really have a clue as to what to do. Lutz was special and used, but we barely have a TE in the game for anything more than pass protection. Gus has forgotten a lot of important factors in the offense that he claims to be an expert on and Chip Lindsey is just a puppet barely above what we had before. Whine all you want but 7 years and 49 mil is what the last AD and current boosters agreed on. We may see two 10 win seasons if lucky and then the rest mediocrity. It's become acceptable at Auburn though. Just my opinion. 

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

If we threw passes to all the receivers that we bitch about not throwing passes to.....we’d have 80 pass attempts a game. 

What’s wrong with that? Lol lighten up alexava! Ryan Davis, NCM, Slayton, Schwartz should all be getting a share of 30-40 targets with 5 or more to tight end/h-back position.

It’s the strength of the team and if we’re using quick routes it takes a lot of pressure off a still “gelling” OL

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

This year, I agree the ratio should be more 60-40 pass. 

With regards to # of play calls...Not yardage.

Archived