Jalen Harris to redshirt then transfer

GwillMac6

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

Lutz and Mix a smattering of others in 15 years.............you have to fire up the way back machine to find Fuller, Baxter, Hall, Tillman,etc......?

You left out Tommy Trott

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zeek said:

I’ll never forget her coming to one of my games in high school where our defense kept loading the box against an I-offense the opposing coach had been using since the wheel was discovered.... 

Buddy Anderson? LOL.

Jalen Harris is a complete stud and will be a tremendous success no matter where he goes or what he does.  He's earned this at the very least.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

That's just pathetic. I can't blame him at all.  I hope he lands at a TAMU or OU. Just somewhere like that that understands how to use a TE and values them more than as a glorified tackle. Good luck, JH

My coaching friend you are exactly right... we are clueless, or muleheaded stubborn, about the use of the TE and it has hampered us on offense.

32 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

You left out Tommy Trott

Thank you, could not remember his name........also Robert Johnson........the old memory gets fuzzy at times?

For some reason Jeff Burger getting in trouble in a fast food restaurant parking lot seems like yesterday....go figure?

First example of the new red shirt rule in action.....bet there will be others like this in the next week or two at other schools.   For example, Hurts at bama has the opportunity to do this also though he would probably be walking away from another NC ring.  

Otherwise, I don't understand the fascination that some people have for the use of a TE in our offense.   I watch a lot of college football and maybe I'm not paying close enough attention but seems what I see are guys being called tight ends who preform the same duties as our H back or our larger receivers.  Note that Cox ahs been on the receiving end of  number of passes this year.  

The primary thing that seems to define most TE is their size....and their rarity at the HS level.  :dunno:   As I say, I'm probably missing something but IMO our offense will be fine if our QB play improves .. and the OL gels as a unit.  

3 hours ago, alexava said:

If we threw passes to all the receivers that we bitch about not throwing passes to.....we’d have 80 pass attempts a game. 

if we played with the pace that we probably should, something like 40+ pass attempts wouldnt be bad at all. Lets say you set aside 30 passes for receivers and 10 for RBs/HBs/TEs...obviously doesnt have to be this rigid game to game but that would take advantage of the diversity we have 

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

First example of the new red shirt rule in action.....bet there will be others like this in the next week or two at other schools.   For example, Hurts at bama has the opportunity to do this also though he would probably be walking away from another NC ring.  

Otherwise, I don't understand the fascination that some people have for the use of a TE in our offense.   I watch a lot of college football and maybe I'm not paying close enough attention but seems what I see are guys being called tight ends who preform the same duties as our H back or our larger receivers.  Note that Cox ahs been on the receiving end of  number of passes this year.  

The primary thing that seems to define most TE is their size....and their rarity at the HS level.  :dunno:   As I say, I'm probably missing something but IMO our offense will be fine if our QB play improves .. and the OL gels as a unit.  

Yeah, you need to watch the NFL then. TEs are a staple of the majority of the offenses and pretty key players at the next level. Gronk, Greg Olsen, Travis Kelce, Jimmy Graham, Zach Ertz. A good of the better teams at the next level utilizes the TE as a very key position. And specifically for our offense, if used right could be a safety valve for 3rd and long/intermediate passes. Heck this past weekend Jesse James of the Steelers and Kelce lead their team in receiving yards.

We signed a very good WR class in 2018.  The prospect of playing with A Top 5 QB for at least one year and an Elite 11 QB coming in 2019 lured them in.   Unfortunately, we don't use and won't use them as they expect to be used.  This will negatively affect future WR classes especially if we see any transferring out because they are being targeted two times or less per game. 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He was basically lied to about how he’d be used. Not being naive and saying coaches don’t have to lie often but he has full justification in this situation 

Afraid the same thing happens with Joiner. Not lying but not being utilized the way he was promised to be.

17 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree.......I think personally for me having played TE ballpark thru HS.......I just love the position..........Of course those offenses died with sweaters and adabeeds and the swatch?

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is one of those moments where you laugh really hard until you realize it is true and then you start sobbing! lol

Ole' reliable. Keep it in my back pocket 

IMG_1485.GIF

32 minutes ago, AU64 said:

.As I say, I'm probably missing something but IMO our offense will be fine if our QB play improves .. and the OL gels as a unit.  

Hahaha...so if the two most important things on offense get better we'll be fine?  Man do I feel better...

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hahaha...so if the two most important things on offense get better we'll be fine?  Man do I feel better...

Add the QB struggles (which there aren't a lot of) and OL struggles and it pales in comparison to how bad the DBs are. 

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jalen Harris was pretty low rated. WE REALLY struggled getting TE that were decently rated till this class. Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm are the real deal and I hope we do not waste them buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut......................... I mean come on. We all know Gus will.

Thanks for putting some common sense into the situation, unlike the majority on this board today/tonight.

11 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like Nate Craig-Myers, Jayvaughn, and Devan Barrett might all be joining Harris in the transfer line. 

Two of those have been passed on the depth chart and Nate may have been passed as well. I don't want to see any player unhappy so if they feel like they'd be better off somewhere else, they should go.

7 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Man, if this transfer wave happens, Gus is gonna have some explaining to do. Not this many guys transfer without there being some common theme...

Sounds like the common theme is the players meeting where NCM coach complained about his usage in the offense and a couple of the leaders basically weren’t having it and said to earn it. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Sounds like the common theme is the players meeting where NCM coach complained about his usage in the offense and a couple of the leaders basically weren’t having it and said to earn it. 

Do what?

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

So what about the other names? 

Archived